09 Sonata V6, yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 4 years of cheap, efficient and noisy motoring, the Focus needs new tires.
Considering I'm at 100k miles I was considering upgrading the whole suspension to the SVT kit for a paltry 400 or so, plus installation.

Regardless, my better half has been nagging me of odd creaks and groans in the rear suspension as well as the uncomfortable front seats (especially the drivers seat), wind noise and general feeling of "blah" despite my attempt to spruce it up with a fresh polish and a Pingu sticker on the trunk (I really love that little guy).

I have been considering many cars from Buick to Volvo and everything in between. On a whim I came across a low mileage Sonata Limited with V6. Reviewers loved the comfy seats as well as the power of the v6.

I'm about to go see this car (if it hasn't sold yet) as it only has 50k miles and no accident history. Anyone have experience with this car? either the v6 or 4 models?

I recall renting one in the mid 2000's which was a 4 cylinder. Despite being black (I despise that color) I really liked it for the amount of driving we did. The seats were comfy and the car handled well. The thing I love is the simplicity (no NAV, or touch screen anything! For me, less is MORE!

The tail lights on that generation always reminded me of Dr. Robotnik's mustache:
Dr_robotnik_by_thafake-d5w6peo.png

Last edited:
Start stocking the 2357 bulb for the back end

Hyundai/Kia products chew through them at an alarming rate

V6 needs occasional timing belt/water pump

If it doesn't come with a keyfob, it's a dealer/locksmith trip

Budget for 4 quick struts all around (I look after 3 NF Sonatas, and they all needed struts)

Other then that, it's the semi luxury daily cruiser, without Accord V6 trans trouble, or Camry $$$

Make sure it's up on it's recalls, some we're kinda serious

If the Airbag lights on, it could be one of the front seatbelt buckles, there's an extended warranty/recall on them

Last edited:
I do know lot of folks who own that generation(2006-2010) Sonata's with either 4 cyl or V6. I don't seem to be hearing them complain about the car nor, do they seem to be getting rid of them.

As one road test editor commented about that generation Sonata,(I can't remember the publication; C&D, R&T, M/T), "Hyundai makes a better Camry than Toyota"!

I've ridden in an 08' Sonata a long time ago when it was new. The car didn't seem to ride very well. The rear suspension seemed to pitch and wallow around and I think Hyundai should have put a stiffer spring rate on the rear springs. You'll never detect it on a slow test drive if the roads are good.
I think Chris142 on here made a thread saying what a pain he had changing the timing belt on a V6 model.

Had an 4 cylinder ,ran great ,good gas mileage,handle well . No timing belt it is a chain so that is a plus. Neighbor got a 6 and he l oves it, goes thru brakes quick, though ? he pushes it in the city traffic. Good car,you might get a warranty up to 60k,on used Hyundai .so you have 10k left .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
After 4 years of cheap, efficient and noisy motoring, the Focus needs new tires.
Considering I'm at 100k miles I was considering upgrading the whole suspension to the SVT kit for a paltry 400 or so, plus installation.

Regardless, my better half has been nagging me of odd creaks and groans in the rear suspension as well as the uncomfortable front seats (especially the drivers seat), wind noise and general feeling of "blah" despite my attempt to spruce it up with a fresh polish and a Pingu sticker on the trunk (I really love that little guy).

I have been considering many cars from Buick to Volvo and everything in between. On a whim I came across a low mileage Sonata Limited with V6. Reviewers loved the comfy seats as well as the power of the v6.

I'm about to go see this car (if it hasn't sold yet) as it only has 50k miles and no accident history. Anyone have experience with this car? either the v6 or 4 models?

I recall renting one in the mid 2000's which was a 4 cylinder. Despite being black (I despise that color) I really liked it for the amount of driving we did. The seats were comfy and the car handled well. The thing I love is the simplicity (no NAV, or touch screen anything! For me, less is MORE!

My father had a '06 for a company car. He was impressed. He has had some major back surgery (car accident) and him liking the vehicle for long trips was a good sign. Actually, if they made a convertible, he would have pick the Hyundai over the car he bought that year... a Sebring... uggg.

The 2009 is the last model year for this style vehicle with the US-based design coming along in 2010, although the 09 Sonata was likely built in Alabama. The NF era Sonatas are good cars. It was really Hyundai's major breakthrough for the vehicle although it was getting older with Honda and Toyota's refreshes in 2007/2008. The Lambda II 3.3 is a fantastic engine. It is still multi-port if you are concerned about the GDi engines. Plenty of power and torque too for a 3.3. I think it was in the low 270/230s for hp/lbs (which was about right for the era, but torque could be better.). I think the transmission (might be a Mitsubishi product) which is the "weakspot" for the vehicle I think. Nothing "catastrophic impending doom" but they were less forgiving with a lack of maintenance and tended to become "jerky" and lacked smoothness. A few of the Hyundai forums hint about this minor issues. ... but hey, transmissions smoothness is a Hyundai weakspot for a lot of vehicle in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Otherwise, the trim is not as forgiving as some other makes for abuse and tends to look worn faster due to the hard plastic chipping. If you wear a lot of jewelery, you will notice this quickly.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think Chris142 on here made a thread saying what a pain he had changing the timing belt on a V6 model.

The lambda II should a timing chain

Actually, the 2.4 and the 3.3 should both have a chain to my knowledge. Most Hyundais ditched belt in the early 2000s

Speaking of timing chains, the 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda V/6's are known for having timing chain tensioner problems. Any timing chain repairs require removing the engine. Listen for a cold start rattle. When the tensioner gets real bad the rattle doesn't go away quickly.
Most of the Hyundais produced during this era used Aisin Seiki automatic transmissions and should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Start stocking the 2357 bulb for the back end

Hyundai/Kia products chew through them at an alarming rate

V6 needs occasional timing belt/water pump

If it doesn't come with a keyfob, it's a dealer/locksmith trip

Budget for 4 quick struts all around (I look after 3 NF Sonatas, and they all needed struts)

Other then that, it's the semi luxury daily cruiser, without Accord V6 trans trouble, or Camry $$$

Make sure it's up on it's recalls, some we're kinda serious

If the Airbag lights on, it could be one of the front seatbelt buckles, there's an extended warranty/recall on them

No timing belt in the 3.3 motor. The older, and less reliable 2.7, had a timing belt.

OP that is a good car with a good motor if taken care of. The lower oil pan is known to leak but easy to remove and use a good ultra black silicone and it will seal well.
It does use a less common oil filter so stock up on those when cheap. Other than that its a good car.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

No timing belt in the 3.3 motor. The older, and less reliable 2.7, had a timing belt.

Just curious about your 2.7L statement. I've never really read of any issues with them. I had one in my 2008 Santa Fe LX AWD, although I only owned it from ~32K miles to about 72K. My only engine issue was a failed ignition coil. Of course the rear bank that required removal of the upper intake manifold. I found it to be a smooth little V6. The F4A5A 4spd auto was a bit crude, but did it's job. I would assume the 2009 Sonata has the better F5A51 5spd auto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Speaking of timing chains, the 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda V/6's are known for having timing chain tensioner problems. Any timing chain repairs require removing the engine. Listen for a cold start rattle. When the tensioner gets real bad the rattle doesn't go away quickly.
Most of the Hyundais produced during this era used Aisin Seiki automatic transmissions and should not be a problem.

I have not heard of the 3.8 having timing issues. The Ginny's 2.0T has had minor rumblings but then again, a lot of tweaks are made to those turbos... and are heat related.

As for the transmission, Aisin were for Hyundai's RWD vehicles and SUVs. I was not aware of them using Aisin for transverse set-ups (the only thing I could think of would be be the AF23). I was assuming the GEMA relationship will pull a Jatco or similarly licensed transmission made by Hyundai but of another make's design.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Just curious about your 2.7L statement. I've never really read of any issues with them. I had one in my 2008 Santa Fe LX AWD, although I only owned it from ~32K miles to about 72K. My only engine issue was a failed ignition coil. Of course the rear bank that required removal of the upper intake manifold. I found it to be a smooth little V6. The F4A5A 4spd auto was a bit crude, but did it's job. I would assume the 2009 Sonata has the better F5A51 5spd auto.

There were a couple sensors that were known to cause issues. Plus just general at best average reliability for the rest. Not a awful motor per-say just not one I would be happy with. I rather have the 4cyl to be honest.

Perhaps it's a matter of luck with these. We had a 2009 NF Sonata 4-cylinder. Nice large cabin. It had multiple problems, some major. Our Hyundai dealer either refused to acknowledge a problem, or wasn't competent to fix them under warranty.

1. Transmission flare and slam on shifting from 2 to 3.
2. Occasional unresponsiveness to pushing the go pedal.
3. Clunking front right suspension.
4. Fourth winter the heater stopped blowing heat to the floor, heat only from dash vents.
5. Sprung an underbody water leak into the cabin that flooded one of the footwells.

The only problem the dealer attempted to fix was #5, and they only got the leak to slow down.
Before it was five years old we had to sell it as a problem vehicle.

Price would matter a lot in considering this car.
These cars were sold at heavy discounts new, so as an eight year old car this should be quite cheap.
I'd also not be overly impressed by the limited miles.
Could be a good (bad) reason for that.
2009 Hyundai/Kia cars were not up to the reliability or durability standards of American and Japanese nameplate brands.

My great-aunt has an 06' Sonata (same body style) with the 2.4L with 155k miles. It's been a fantastic car, only repairs have been a squeaky idler pulley (was a cheap fix) and a leaky power steering hose. It's reliability was one of the reasons I bought my Sonata. Hers is pretty comfortable and drives decently. I drove it to San Diego from Phoenix 1-1/2 years ago.

It's also lived a hard life, she's wrecked it a few times.

My mother has a 09 sonata with the 2.4 I4, it has been a good car. The rear coil springs are weak from the factory (they have separate shocks and springs in the rear, not struts) but rock auto has moog springs $60 for the pair. I replaced them in about an hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back