'08 Crown Victoria FBI car 180K miles, What oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The department I work for only has 3 CVPI's left in our inventory. I just turned in my issued 2011 CVPI to be used as a SRO vehicle with right at 100k. The other two have just a little more mileage than that. Our shop that takes care of all vehicle maintenance has been running a 15w-40 semi-synthetic (I can't remember what brand) since the late 90's. They change the oil every 3k and we have never lost an engine in one of the CV's.

The 4.6L will survive quite well on 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30. Really does not matter at all. Brand/grade mean essentially nothing to those engines.

See my UOAs from my two MGMs. One of which has 240k miles on it, using only dino oil.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
The department I work for only has 3 CVPI's left in our inventory. I just turned in my issued 2011 CVPI to be used as a SRO vehicle with right at 100k. The other two have just a little more mileage than that. Our shop that takes care of all vehicle maintenance has been running a 15w-40 semi-synthetic (I can't remember what brand) since the late 90's. They change the oil every 3k and we have never lost an engine in one of the CV's.

What were the most miles seen? One would assume that these govt vehicles are all sold by 150K-199K miles. The 20 vs 30/40 grade may only be an issue if you're looking out past 175K-200K miles...or even past 300K miles.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

That was a great question. I just checked the owners manuals for the Crown Vic and it was 2001 when Ford changed from 5W-30 to 5W-20 . Wow, that’s 17 years ago.
smile.gif

Thanks for looking it up...17 years yeah...

Until I can find an oil that makes my engine run as smooth and as quiet as 0W40 oil does (currently PP EURO 0W40), I won't be using ANYTHING else!
If it were my CV I would consider using the aforementioned oil. But, a good HM oil would not be out of the Q?. I like Valvoline Max Life, but I have read good things about M1HM oil as well.
What are your current driving conditions? What oil was being used in the CV before? What was its service history? These are the items I would take into consideration before choosing an oil.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
400 idle hours. That's it?

Yup, FBI CAR was not a 24/7 squad car. One of the MAIN reasons I bought it lol

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Originally Posted By: GMguy84

So I followed the "BOIG gospel"

What's a "BOIG gospel"?

I think he meant the BITOG gospel.

My bad, Yes that's what I mean lol

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What does "SRO" stand for?

School Resource Officer.

School Resource Officer.

Or chicken [censored] if you're employed by BSO...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

What were the most miles seen? One would assume that these govt vehicles are all sold by 150K-199K miles. The 20 vs 30/40 grade may only be an issue if you're looking out past 175K-200K miles...or even past 300K miles.

About 175k and then they were auctioned. The local cab companies would usually grab them up pretty quick and run them for years.

I have never been a big Ford fan but the CVPI was a pretty tough vehicle. Our shop basically serviced them using a severe service schedule. I can't say for certain if it was the oil, the severe service schedule, or a combination of both but something worked.

Last edited:

5-20 is perfect. If it burns a bit of oil, 5-30 can help. Also, change out the rear end fluid. Supposed to be full synthetic. The engine won’t notice the climate. Every day is a hot day for it.

Whenever I purchase a vehicle, I change ALL fluids. I changed rear diff fluid with Valvoline full syn 75-140

DAve

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

About 175k and then they were auctioned. The local cab companies would usually grab them up pretty quick and run them for years.

I have never been a big Ford fan but the CVPI was a pretty tough vehicle. Our shop basically serviced them using a severe service schedule. I can't say for certain if it was the oil, the severe service schedule, or a combination of both but something worked.

I'm into LEO cars as daily drivers, So I watch about 5 different gov surplus auctions and you'll be surprised how low the miles on some of these cars are auctioned off at !!

There's one auction in SOCAL that sells ex-govt cars and are decommissioned based on age not mileage, Seen some crown vics sell with only 65K-95K miles

Dave

My 2008 CVPI is also a former federal fleet car. It came from Santa Fe, although I don't know what agency owned it. It's the best car I've ever driven. Loves highway miles, which is 90% of what I drive. Had 117K when I bought it almost three years ago. Has 155K now. Running 10K mile OCI's, it loses less than 1/2 quart of oil.

It runs much quieter on PUP 5W/30 than Napa syn-blend 5W/20. Perhaps because of Pennzoil's formula, or perhaps because of the heavier weight.

But it gets about 5% better MPG on Kendall's GT-1 Max Full Synthetic in 10W/30. My driving routine, traffic, tire pressure, air-conditioner use, etc. is the same, day in, day out, with little variation. The only variable that changed to account for the improved MPG is the Kendall oil, and it was noticeable from the first full fill-up after I changed the oil. I averaged 20.5-21 MPG with PUP. I average 22-23 MPG with Kendall.

I've been using Wix filters but might switch to something else next oil change since 10K might be pushing the life of that filter a bit.

I second the above poster who suggested replacing the other fluids as well. I replaced the tranny pan with one that has a drain plug to make it easier to drain and fill the tranny fluid.

HTH!

For what it’s worth I ran 5W-30 in a Ford V-6 one year before they called for 5-20. I continued to run 5-30 for 17 years The engine has 150,000 miles and is in perfect shape. I’ll bet I would have gotten the same results with 5-20. Run what you like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

School Resource Officer.

What does BSO mean? All these govt abbreviations are ridiculous

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

School Resource Officer.

What does BSO mean? All these govt abbreviations are ridiculous

BSO=Broward County(Florida) sheriff office in reference to the sheriff officer who didn't go in to the FL HS school to take down the shooter and waited for back up. According to many reports, he was following procedure for that situation ????

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back