'08 Corvette, PU 5w30, 4550 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA with this car. It was in service for 15 months and car sat with it in during winter storage this past winter. Any comments? I do have a Vararam CAI (modified by me and mechanically clamped together, so I know it's not leaking). It has a Green filter, which seems to be doing OK. I always put a thin film of silicon grease on the mating surfaces of my filter to help seal them.....may or may not show up as silicon in the UOA.

Copper is a bit high, but my LS1 in my Firehawk was the same way and I have seen many other LSX's be the same.

Code:

OIL Penzoil Ultra 5w30

MILES IN USE 4,550

MILES 14,648

SAMPLE TAKEN 07/31/11

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 24

COPPER 103

LEAD 5

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 44

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 5

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 272

SILICON 19

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 2800

MAGNESIUM 39

PHOSPHORUS 688

ZINC 801

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.93

FLASHPOINT ºF 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 5.9

Last edited:
This report looks pretty good to me, the engine is still breaking in, so that could account for some of the iron (and definitely accounts for the triple digit copper) but I also think that the iron is coming from the car sitting for the winter months.

I'll be able to prove that theory myself, because this winter will be the very first one where I don't drive my Corvette, so if I'm predicting I will see a slight spike in iron values in my future UOAs as a result.

Gm engines often show higher metal numbers, but that doesn't mean shorter engine life.

Crazy high metal readings (like 100+ ppm copper for 20K miles) are normal for low mileage GM engines, especially the LT and LS series. Looks good.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I also think that the iron is coming from the car sitting for the winter months.

This could be, as the car sat all winter and had only been driven 900 miles or so in this very hot/humid summer before it was changed. I have laid some old carpet/rugs down on the garage floor under the car to try to keep the condensation to a minimum; but in this hot/humid weather and the car sitting so low to the cool concrete, I still get condensation all over the underside of the car. I have my Firehawk sitting on a KwikLift and this works great, as it gets the car far enough away from the cool concrete.

mine's on a rug in the garage too-do not notice any condensation at all though.
My 02 LS6 with 14K was throwing 82 ppm Copper too-no worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back