07 Saturn Ion 2.0 L clutch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest daughter has lost her clutch in her Ion,,, she went to her shop that she trades with and they came back with a 1200 to 1300 estimate

seems high to me as she is in the Milwaukee Metro area ,, my youngest lost her automatic trans in her 02 tarus and we got a complete overhaul , seals clutch packs and torque converter ,for 950.00 and she is in the chicago suburbs not milwaukee
I know its apples to oranges but my price is 395.00 for disk , pressure plate and throw out bearing , and a slave cylinder for the clutch is 70 bucks

I would do it myself but I am in the start of a rehab stint after shoulder surgery and hoisting little 5 speeds will not heal me up very well

kind of looking for everyones thoughts on the pricing

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
I would do it myself but I am in the start of a rehab stint after shoulder surgery and hoisting little 5 speeds will not heal me up very well

Couldn't you coach her to do the job?

Sounds about right from what I have heard/dealt with in the past.
PS. you got out cheap on the taurus automatic rebuild. I actually owned a 2005 taurus, rebuild in Louisville 4-5 years ago was quoted at almost $2K! I scrapped the car.

Originally Posted by atikovi

What a useless comment.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by atikovi

What a useless comment.

And that's a sexist comment. I bet you wouldn't say that if it was his sons car.

Well I'm not sure if it helps much but Clutch kits with the slave cylinder are only around $200 on Rockauto..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saturn,2007,ion,2.0l+l4+supercharged,1433712,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Coach her up. Give her a manual to guide her and with your support she will learn something. I have done this on occasion with my daughter.

Last edited:
no I have a commercial account with my local pepboys and the shop will not let me bring in parts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cry.gif

she does her own light maintenance oil and filter , just did plugs and a battery of winter ,,,,,, not equipped for trannys and heavy stuff

Use a sling & a 2-ton Come Along from a truss......it's only a sub-100 pound transaxle.
I did that when I was in no mood to bench press an 85 pound 5 speed, only thing I strained was my patience
swapping out a measly $22 throw out bearing that had torn open like a tuna can. : ( Stupid Nissans. YMMV.

I think it's a hassle on this car-- engine and transaxle have to come out together then gets split on the ground.

So then you have to finagle an old rusty exhaust off.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I think it's a hassle on this car-- engine and transaxle have to come out together then gets split on the ground.

So then you have to finagle an old rusty exhaust off.

Now I get the $1200-1400 estimate.
Probably let the garage deal with it.

READ THIS !!

I have a 2006 Ion Redline 2.0. which is identical to your 2007. I also have an active AllDataDIY for this vehicle. Here are the labor rates from AllData:
The mfg rate for a warranty repair is 4.3 hours, and standard rate is 8.1 hours. OEM Clutch disk is part 12589049 and indicates about $136 . Pressure plate is 12583856 and is $222.

It looks like the transaxle must be R&R to replace the clutch disk, and replacing the pressure plate only adds .2 hours, and pilot bearing another .2 hours. They do not break down the difference on the on the M86 vs MU3 trans- one is LSD and the other is not LSD, so I think it just does not matter for purposes of clutch labor or parts. If you want, PM me for more info. So given that info, I think the estimate you got is right on the money - 8-9 hours labor plus parts. Since this engine and trans was common to the Cobalt SS, you could get another estimate at a Chevy dealer and see how it compares. If the car is otherwise in decent shape, then it would be worth repairing- my car has been quite reliable, 140k miles with original clutch, averages 28 mpg. If it has LSD and/or the Competition Package (grey center wheels, boost gauge above the steering wheel) then that adds about $1,000 to the used price.

Something to note- this car has a very light flywheel, and if you have the Stage II or higher kit it could be over 250 hp to the wheels: mine has head work and other mods so its pushing over 300 hp, and runs ~13.8 in the 1/4 mile. It takes a delicate touch to get the clutch just right, so somebody that is ham-fisted or lazy can easily wreck the clutch in short order.

Rubber Chicken ,, thank you for the offer ,,

no car only has 103 K on it new brakes and tires for wisconsin winters so it looks like a new clutch for the car and let her run it for a year to try yo recoup some of the cash she has spent

That's the supercharged motor, right?

I have the Chevy version of that car. Clutch was about $ 1800 and I believe I provided most of my own parts (GMPP clutch upgrade kit, flywheel, etc.)

The clutch is a HUGE PITA on these. Also problematic with the control arm bushing cage nut becoming seized from road salt. Without removing this you cannot drop the subframe. You need to do this to remove the trans from the motor. I had to have them drill and tap mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back