06 Town & Country: hot air from under dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a strange problem with my 06 Chrysler Town & Country.

First - in the mornings, the AC blows super cold. But if I shut it down after it's warmed up, the AC usually won't get as cold (sometimes it does...).

Then, when I use the "recirculate" system, it gets perfectly cold, but it starts blowing hot (HOT) air from under the center console across my feet, and the cabin just won't cool properly.

Any thoughts on what might be happening or how to diagnose/repair this condition?

confused.gif

Sounds like a blend door problem. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.maybe that will reset the computer. If that does not work it may get expensive real fast.

My neighbor had a very similar problem on their T&C just recently and it turned out to be a broken blend door hinge so Chris142 probably nailed it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Sounds like a blend door problem. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.maybe that will reset the computer. If that does not work it may get expensive real fast.

+2 get one from a bone yard.

you're going to have to get in there and look at it. Watch the motors and the arms and see what they do and how they move. That means pulling the glove box and maybe the center console. If you intend to replace the part yourself, you need to at least get in there and explore.... because most of the times with car hvac, there's a lot of labor.

The recirc door is a rotary valve above the passenger's right foot, located immediately above the blower. It's cylindrical, and rotates. You must either a) remove dash b) cut hole in firewall c) break one of the motor mounts; to get to that door. It is not connected to the blend doors. the actuator for it is below the blower--- the entire door assy reaches around the blower.

Get your head in there and look around. That may show you right there if it's something you are willing to do yourself, or just get fixed by someone else.

Last edited:
Yikes - sounds pretty involved. I will check it out - appreciate very much the heads up on the location of things there!

The recirc itself seems to be operating properly - I get good flow through the center vents.

It's just very hot air circulating on the floor from within the center console.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

I definitely agree. The easiest fix for this is to bypass the heater core, but that may not work in the OP's area.

also a possibility that the stepper motor for the blend door has worn out. i don't hear of it often but it can happen. they are usually held on by two screws and have one electrical connection, on the outside of the hvac housing. Usually not too expensive to replace yourself.

Some chryco vehicles also run a self-calibration procedure that might help. there's limited info on google.

pulled from another forum: IDK the year...
--------------------------------------------

The blend doors are electronically operated/adjusted by the temperature control module. Problems to diagnose are 1)recalibration, 2)blend door actuators, and 3) control module.

My FSM says that the A/C-heater control module must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the control module is replaced.The AC/heater control module learns what positions the blend door stops at during the calibration procedure. Any blend door actuator circuit problems will be stored as a diagnostic trouble code (A DRBIIIt scan tool is required).

The blend door actuators cannot be adjusted (they are electronically adjusted) or repaired and they must be replaced if faulty. This is all accessible under the dash and I have the instructions if you need them.

Here are the simple calibration procedures for the MANUAL temp. control module blend door adjustment (tell me if you have the automatic temp control for those instructions):

(1) Turn your ignition switch to the ON position.
(2) Press and hold the Rear Wipe/Wash and Recirculation buttons for at least five seconds. The A/C-heater control Rear Wipe/Wash LED and Recirculation LED graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.
(3) The calibration procedure should take less than
two minutes for the manual A/C-heater control. The calibration is done when the graphics stop flashing.
(4) If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the two minutes, it indicates that the heater control module has detected a problem and set a diagnostic trouble code. The LEDs or graphics will continue flashing even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until calibration is successful, or until the vehicle has been driven about 8 miles.

Quote:
The blend doors are electronically operated/adjusted by the temperature control module. Problems to diagnose are 1)recalibration, 2)blend door actuators, and 3) control module.

I have seen the actuator go and I think there is a youtube video on how to replace it. It is involved but not rocket science. On some of the actuators there is a rotary gear that slips off engagement with the actuator and then hangs up and won't open/or close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__LHgaQNqh4

Last edited:
The recalibration seems to have made a big difference - not completely fixed, but FAR better. Thanks again, meep! I'm gonna do the recal again this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back