06 corolla, not smooth to shift what to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the trans 80-90 before the winter. but the problem is that it doesn't glide into the next gear more so when it's colder. Feels like the sincros are not doing the job to well. I did use the regular gear oil from canadian tire brand. Maybe it's normal or should I be using something else?

Thanks in advance..

It's 16°F in Ottawa right now, or maybe approaching it. In a gearbox, with old specification conventional 80W-90 GL-5 it's somewhat predictable shifting will be a PITA.

Get some new SAE J306 specification synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 in there.

Redling MT90 or 75w90NS, Amsoil MTG or AGR, Royalpurple Maxgear.... Motul, Synlube.... have excellent 90wts to choose from

are you sure t met all the specs? GL-4 or GL-5? The chemistry may not be correct for the synchronizer materials.

I'd make triple sure youre using the right spec and setup of gear oil. Talk to one of our site sponsors to set you up with some good syn fluid, as it seems that most makers are moving to that in their gearboxes to eek out another fraction of an MPG.

JMH

Redline MT-90 75W-90 works very well with the corollas and so does
Amsoil 75w-90 Severe gear.

Perfectly normal. Especially with a fluid that is not synthetic and not the most modern design.
Winter or summer, a better fluid will help shifting and wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back