05 BMW 325i Mobil 1 0W-40 (15,676)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
You own a BMW but are too cheap to change the oil on time?

How much do you think a 2005 325 is actually worth?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: drtyler
If the crankcase ventilation systems are kept up and LL-01 oils used, the 15,000 mile/1 year interval works fine. Problems often arise when regular 5w-30 SN is used along with the 15,000 mile OCI.

I've bought several post-2000 BMW's used, and all were maintained by BMW at those intervals. All have been clean under the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
And there are plenty that aren't sludged up as well following the BMW intervals.

That's not a very compelling argument.

And why BMW has reduced the interval to 10k miles on all cars built since 2013. They were having too many sludge problems with 15k mile intervals, even using LL-01 oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
If the crankcase ventilation systems are kept up and LL-01 oils used, the 15,000 mile/1 year interval works fine. Problems often arise when regular 5w-30 SN is used along with the 15,000 mile OCI.

I've bought several post-2000 BMW's used, and all were maintained by BMW at those intervals. All have been clean under the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
And there are plenty that aren't sludged up as well following the BMW intervals.

That's not a very compelling argument.

And why BMW has reduced the interval to 10k miles on all cars built since 2013. They were having too many sludge problems with 15k mile intervals, even using LL-01 oils.

I'm sure adding turbos, direct injection, more heat, etc, is an influencing factor. Big difference between a 180 something HP naturally aspirated M52TU in the E46 325xi and a 300hp twin turbo direct injection N54 in a 335i.

With that said, I certainly don't follow the 10-15,000 mile OCI recommended on the BMWs I service. Oil is cheap, engines (especially BMW engines) are not.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
With that said, I certainly don't follow the 10-15,000 mile OCI recommended on the BMWs I service. Oil is cheap, engines (especially BMW engines) are not.

I feel the same way. Mine is changed twice a year (5k intervals). No brainer when LL-01 approved oil is $4-5 a quart.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I'm sure adding turbos, direct injection, more heat, etc, is an influencing factor. Big difference between a 180 something HP naturally aspirated M52TU in the E46 325xi and a 300hp twin turbo direct injection N54 in a 335i.

Ugh. You got that right. Apparently it is $22k to replace the engine in mine. Not going to try and save $30 by extending my oil changes.

I did a couple of long OCIs in my wife's BMW with M1 0w40 (12k and 15k IIRC) but from now on I'm sticking closer to 6k intervals. Those two big runs were both with the old formula of 0w40 and it thickened up considerably. Oxidation was through the roof, so I'm sure I did the engine no favors in the cleanliness department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back