04 Escape alternator

That as entertaining but not as bad as I thought. Having the typical leaking timing cover all the bolts came out easy enough. And I just replaced the axle so that came out easy. Guess there's no doubt it's bad 😂 guess a bearing went. Still charged 13.4-13.8 just made a lot of noise!

Odd how there's no Motorcraft alternators available on RA. Just ordered a AC Delco Gold new.. no remain. Hopefully it's decent.

755AE6CC-F998-4957-B501-3D83FF86B6EC.jpeg

3F340AFA-C139-4022-AF99-2C55DCDE86AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I replaced the alternator on my daughter's 03 V6 Escape about 4 years ago. I took my time, made sure all parts that came off and went back on were on good shape and I had no problems. It took me several hours, but that included a few sips on liquid refreshment. I went with a completely new unit (instead of a rebuilt) because this is one job where you don't want to put a "lifetime warranty" alternator from a national chain store into an early V6 Escape. I think I went with a Remy replacement and it is still doing great today. She is still driving it, but she lives a great distance away from me and if it fails, she will probably scrap the whole vehicle.
The irony is that her alternator completely failed at 98K miles. The alternator on my "easy to replace" F250 was still factory strong at 280K miles and I just replaced it because I felt it was time.

I never go with rebuilt parts any more.. just not worth it. All my easy to change alternators are still going also, not sure on the Focus though. The Dakota and Express would be fairly easy though.

Back