03 Taurus oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to turn to 137,000 miles with 6,000 miles on current fill of Hydrtoex 5w-20 synthetic oil. The motor has used 3/4 quart over this span. A half quart was normal at 4k with quaker state green bottle. I was wanting to run 9k on current fill but have reservations a Uoa will be squed with the make up oil added. I have no uoa history and have owned the car since 110k. Motor is the 3.0 ohv Vulcan. Should I change now?

You might experience using a little more oil the first OCI with the first time running a full synthetic. It usually stops on the second OCI. I wouldn't worry about and go your full OCI but top off if needed when you hit the low mark.

Last edited:
I added the make up oil today. Just did a quick 1200 mile round trip to WV and will have another trip back to pick up the kids. The motor really runs well. I averaged 30mpg on the Ohio turn pike. Hope to get 200k out of the motor.

No problem here. Just top it up when it hits the low mark as everyone else is saying. That's a good, long lasting, motor when cared for.

My 99 vulcan drinks 5w30. I haven't been jotting it down but it's worse than yours. It's common on them to easily consume a quart in 3k miles if not more. Adding fresh oil is only doing good things to your additive pack and viscosity. I wouldn't worry about Uoa on the engine unless you suspect contamination. The engines last very long as long as your camshaft position sensor doesn't fail.

Thanks 901Memphis. I was consuming about 1/2 to 3/4 quart in 4.5k on quaker state green bottle. About every 5k I have to add about a quart of supertech pre-mix antifreeze. I wonder if the distilled water is evaporating or if there is a leak? I never see anything on the ground but now and again get a sniff of coolant in the car. Weird....

It's common for the coolant reservoir on these systems to develop cracks, especially where the black plastic meets the clear plastic. I'm betting your losing coolant due to the lack of pressure in a small crack. Also if you do find that is the issue I recommend a Motorcraft replacement as the Dorman tanks you get at any parts store crack even faster.

Great advice. I suspect you are correct. It will be fun to see just how long the old motor will last. No body rust yet, so hopefully another 4 years maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back