02 Ford Crown Vic 205k, 84ppm AL, Maxlife 5w39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are some of those particles small enough to drain out the drain plug. I wud like to keep an eye on my ford !
Interesting no abnormal sounds. Lot of idle time on that engine plus lead foot during chases.
A pampered modulars timing chain should last 500k according to my wishful estimate.

Wonder if nice thick oil on timing chains helps reduce wear on the plastic guides although detrimental to other parts of the engine.

500k is a reasonable estimate.
And yeah, I found the metal in my drain pan from when I changed the oil last week. Most of it is very small, like if you took a file to a block of aluminium.
But the larger chunks are maybe 1/8" across.

Last edited:
It looks like the timimg chain. But if the body is in good condition and there is no rod knock, I'd spend a Saturday and put a chain and tensioner set in it. Easier than replacing the motor, not much but a little easier. Is max life normally running about 250ppm sodium. That seems a little high to me.

Hmmm well considering the rest of the engine is good, a chain guide replacement could keep it going another 200k - at which time the replacement engine would still be available...at this point I would be wondering iust how many miles could be gotten out of the current engine!

Agree with a 10w30...

And....
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: colt's sig

3% engine life remaining.
Change engine soon.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Hmmm well considering the rest of the engine is good, a chain guide replacement could keep it going another 200k - at which time the replacement engine would still be available...at this point I would be wondering iust how many miles could be gotten out of the current engine!

Agree with a 10w30...

And....
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: colt's sig

3% engine life remaining.
Change engine soon.

Yeah Im just also thiking about wear on everything else, even if I stopped driving it right now, which isnt really viable until Saturday at the earliest when I can get another vehicle going. I know the oil filter should protect everything downstream, but what about the oil pump. All it has is a pickup screen and its sucking up this garbage. Would it be prudent to put a pump on it if I do the chains?
Im just thinking about if I swap the motor before this engine totally bites it (the plan would be NOT to actually let it munch itself, that would incur a tow bill) I can at my leisure put a timing set on it, maybe pull a couple bearing caps see how they look. Check out the oil pump, probably replace it just to be safe, etc. IF everything looks good then I again have a spare engine available.
Oh, and I would do the inserts on all the plug holes while the engine is out and accessable.
Glad you got a kick out of the sig, hehe.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
[
I'm just thinking about if I swap the motor before this engine totally bites it (the plan would be NOT to actually let it munch itself, that would incur a tow bill)

I don't think that will happen.

It WILL get louder,... but going *kaboom* is not to be expected.
It will get loud enough to make you uncomfortable driving it.

I'd give it a diet of 15W-40 HDEO with a bottle of STP
grin.gif

Yeah doing the swap (since same amount of work) and having the current engine out & easy to work on makes sense....that way you can replace parts at your leisure.

I imagine that an oil pump, water pump, valve seals (since it's burning oil) and a set of rings along with the chain guides will have that engine good to go.

AS A FORMER cvpi OWNER ,,, IT IS MOST LIKELY YOUR TIMING CHAIN GUIDES / TENSIONERS

all the thick oil in the world isnt going to fix it except pulling the front covers off and replacing them

the 02,s had problems with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back