Mann or Mahle Filter efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever seen or know where I can find the efficiency numbers for Mann or Mahle filters? (thier websites are not too helpful) Normally I use Motorcraft filters on my Fords and Motorcraft is quite up front with their efficieny ratings. Until I can get an EAO for my S60R (if ever), I'm going to use OE Mann or Mahle filters but I'd like to know thier efficiency rathings- purely out of curiosity's sake
smile.gif

Thanks for the help!

From what I understand the European manufacturer's aren't so concerned with efficiency as they are with long life. If that is the case then your typical Fram filter could outperform in the short run either of those two.

What is the efficiency rating of a Motorcraft filter?

For my '03 Explorer Motorcraft lists 80% efficiency at 20 microns (same for the '06 Focus with an FL910). From Motorcraft.com:

Part Number FL820S
Diameter in Inches 3.78
Length in Inches 4.04
Thread Size M22 - 1.5
ADB Valve Material Silicone
RVOP Setting PSI 12.5-18.5
Efficiency @ 20 Microns % 80%
Capacity gr 8
Burst Pressure PSI 200

I'm going to do some experimenting with the Volvo since its my first modern turbo car that *I* am taking care of, and would like to find the best filter possible- unfortunately my options are rather limited...

This may or may not help but had it saved from 2003 so am copying and pasting it here for you. This data is for Mann filters for a VW 1.8T engine so yours may vary. You may have questions about the data but I doubt I can answer it.

"Info from German Mann employee I spoke to:
Carol Hubbard (U.S.): 269-329-7211 (she forwarded my questions to Germany)
Jurgen Englmaler: 269 327-0057
Sellers: Volkparts.com : 1-800-322-6006 (paid $43.70 for six w/shipping) or
Filtersupplyamerica.com: 904 695-2539
Mann Filters – GTI 1.8t (OEM Supplier)
• Oil Filter (W 719/30) – 9 micron filtration at 99.5 – 99.9% efficiency
- Flow rate: 18 liters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
- By-pass valve opens at 2.5 bar = 36.3 psi
- Cellulose treated with chemical – no fiberglass filters allowed in Germany
- Long-life filter – has recently been greatly improved to allow VW/Audi’s extended drain intervals
• Air Filter (C 37153) – 2 to 3 micron filtration at 99.8% efficiency
- Flow rate: 6 cubic meters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
• Fuel Filter (WK 730-1) – 10 micron filtration at ? efficiency
- Flow rate: 90 liters/hr at ? pressure (tech guy did not know)"

How comparable is the 80% efficiency rate of the Motorcraft at 20 microns with the 99.5 - 99.9% efficiency rate of the Mann at 9 microns?

I don't know off-hand. You'd have to find out what test procedures both sets of data came from. I bet that Mann uses ISO test procedures since they are European while American brand filters probably use SAE tests. Maybe Carol Hubbard's phone number listed above still is in use by her or someone else who works for Mann. Give it a call.

I think I used to know more about the data and forgot it since then. I know that my conclusion was that the Mann filters are really good in all regards. My Mann oil filters say that they can last 18,000 km on them. They are built like tanks with no sloppiness or corner cutting. And then there is the filter efficiency data.

People on here say they think MC filters are pretty good. To compare, since it's easy, Amsoil says about thier filters, that they "provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns."

The tests must be different if Mann is getting down to 9 micorons, especially since EaO filters are supposed to be the best (I know, I know, that's arguable- lets not go there, you get my point!)!

Volvo OEM and service on the P2 cartridges (including for your R) are Mahles. The aftermarket Mahles are identical. Every one I've seen has been Austrian made.

I run Manns, which are harder to find, but appear slightly more robust in construction. Interestingly, all the Manns I have in the P2 size are made in Spain.

I would run nothing other than those two if it were my R. Just my opinion, but everything else I've seen in this particular cartridge size was a step down, including some very good Wix/NAPA Golds (which were from Poland of all places).

Considering your particular engine, the oil filter cartridge doesn't need any deviation from OEM. Pursue a better IC and ECM upgrade instead.

A certain vendor north of NY sells P2 Mahles by the case (and most other Volvo consumables) at a very fair price. There may be vendors here selling Mahles or Manns that can do even better.

The R Forum over at Swedespeed is the place to hang if you own an R.

I agree with VHead.... stick with the OEs... I am using Mahles in my BMW, I noticed the dealer BMW stamped oil filter that I pulled out was a Mann.

You cannot go wrong with either. If you want to be sure, get one Volvo filter from your dealer, (or look at one) ... find out who is making them presently. This is the great thing about Euro cars, OEs are strickly required to be list/stamp their name on products which they supply. So that filter I pulled out may say BMW.... but it also says Mann.

I tried to get some info out of AMsoil, mainly regarding the opening of the bypass valve, but they gave me the response nobody on here likes:
"Amsoil meets or exceeds the manufacturers recommendations".

Anybody have any info on the EAO27, which is supposed to be for the VW 1.8T engine?

I use Mahle on a german car I have so I was wondering the same thing since I could not find anything.

FL-820S - Regarding this, which I use also, its a Puralator PureOne class filter at $3.28 WM everyday. Silicon ADBV and base end bypass round out the package.

To get better you could go with an EaO (Donaldson Syntec media, dome bypass) or Fleetguard LF16002 (Stratapore media, nitrile ADBV, dome bypass). These are pure synthetic media and finer filtation and higher capacity. BUT It's gonna cost ya'.

Stick with MC FL-820S unless you are going way-out on OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back