ATF Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im driving a turbo lancer with limited engine bay space. I plan on changing to the biggest model of atf cooler ie the Hayden 679, but if i do that it has to be sandwhiched between the radiator and intercooler. A significant portion of the intercooler will be infront of the ATF cooler.
As such would the purpose of the atf cooler be defeated since heat would be transferred frm the ic to atf cooler? is the temp of ic less than that of the atf cooler and thus there will still be cooling of the atf fluid?

Are you sure the intercooler is a front mount on this car? I thought these 2.2 turbos came stock with top-mount intercoolers.

In any case, I can't think of a reason that an air-to-air intercooler would be warm at all. It doesn't have any kind of fluids running through it. It might be slightly warm, if engine-heated air is entering it.

The only problem I see with putting a transmission cooler behind it is flow restriction / deflection.

The air flowing over the intercooler will be heated above ambient. The intercooler is a heat exchange just like the radiator. The ATF cooler will still work fine. Heres what happens, the air goes over the intercooler and heat is passed onto the ram air. Then the air travels through the ATF cooler and the air temp is increased again but the ATF temp will go down. Then the same air has to go through the radiator and take heat from the engine coolant.

The cooling package needs to be efficient enough to handle the load. So the air flow in has to be able to absorb a given BTU from the intercooler, ATF, and radiator and keep everything at it's designed operating temps. If you either have too little air flow, or the radiator can't handle the higher air temp then you will have a problem.

More than likely you will see less than a 10*F increase in coolant temps if any at all. The intercooler operation will be unaffected since it is the first item to receive ram air.

Quote:

Are you sure the intercooler is a front mount on this car? I thought these 2.2 turbos came stock with top-mount intercoolers.

In any case, I can't think of a reason that an air-to-air intercooler would be warm at all. It doesn't have any kind of fluids running through it. It might be slightly warm, if engine-heated air is entering it.

The only problem I see with putting a transmission cooler behind it is flow restriction / deflection.

i actually modified to a FMIC

Quote:

The air flowing over the intercooler will be heated above ambient. The intercooler is a heat exchange just like the radiator. The ATF cooler will still work fine. Heres what happens, the air goes over the intercooler and heat is passed onto the ram air. Then the air travels through the ATF cooler and the air temp is increased again but the ATF temp will go down. Then the same air has to go through the radiator and take heat from the engine coolant.

The cooling package needs to be efficient enough to handle the load. So the air flow in has to be able to absorb a given BTU from the intercooler, ATF, and radiator and keep everything at it's designed operating temps. If you either have too little air flow, or the radiator can't handle the higher air temp then you will have a problem.

More than likely you will see less than a 10*F increase in coolant temps if any at all. The intercooler operation will be unaffected since it is the first item to receive ram air.

icic, in that case i tink i can safely go for the biggest atf cooler
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back