PP 5W-30 4,133 miles, 07 Yaris 1NZFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the original factory oil at 1,232 miles and used Toyota 5W-30 oil and a Toyota filter. The next oil change was at 5,378 miles (4,146 on oil) and I changed to PP 5W-30 and used a Toyota filter. That oil (Toyota brand) is the first oil change in the below report. The last change was 02/16/07 at 9,511 total miles and I used PP 5W-30 again. The latest report below is the PP that just came out after 4,133 miles.

First report was Toyota brand 5W-30 and Toyota filter, 4,146 miles.
Second report is PP 5W-30 and Toyota filter, 4,133 miles.

yarisoil2.png

Any suggestions or comments?

Mike

Nice report. Expect no issues with this engine for a very long time.

It's interesting to compare this to the several Prius results recently posted. This is the same basic engine that is the gasoline half of the Prius hybrid system. Your result looks pretty similar to those from the Prii. Obviously, the on-off running pattern of the Prius is very different from what your 1NZ sees, but for whatever reason (maybe its our "pre-oiling" feature), not much difference here. Looks like just another boringly well assembled Toyota engine.
cheers.gif

looking at less than 10k toy engines with silicon..makes me want to change the vibes oil out right now.

Interesting article thanks for the info. The bottom line is the Prius engine has lower output, and probably lower wear than the Yaris.

Dennis & SG:

Since the two NZs are from the same "block family," I think it's valid to compare the two, but really, just for perspective. I would assume (and it may be too big an assumption) that the basics, such as the metals used in the major components, the bearings, etc, are similar if not the same. The two huge differences would be, first, the operation of the valve train, which in the FXE version, is what makes the engine an Atkinson cycle powerplant vs standard otto cycle for the FE version. Second, the FXE version endures the almost constant on-off cycling that the FE does not. Of course, the FXE has the "built-in pre-oiling" (my name for how MG1 spins up the ICE before lightoff, don't look for that in any official docs), and the few UOA we've seen all look pretty good so.... who knows.

Now this is really descending into the trivia, but one question I have not been able to answer (yet) is whether or not the non-hybrid FE version shares the FXE's nifty offset crankshaft design. Again, this is a pure curiosity question, no one's gonna die if I never find out, but anyone know?

Based upon how Blackstone as well as this board attacks any silicon with a number higher than 10 ppm I am very surprised that non one is bothered by that number of 21. I am not but just commenting on the inconsistency of Blackstone and the BITOG comments. Usually everyone is screaming filter or another problem whether the OCI was 4100 miles or 10000 miles. Actually for 4100 miles maybe a little high, still breaking in maybe. If this were a 10000 mile OCI the 21 would be acceptable

George is correct-the 1NZ-FE also has an offset crankshaft.

Ek, I'll post a detailed description of the 1NZ-FE a little later. I have a PDF link but I'll have to find it.

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: Spector
Based upon how Blackstone as well as this board attacks any silicon with a number higher than 10 ppm I am very surprised that non one is bothered by that number of 21. I am not but just commenting on the inconsistency of Blackstone and the BITOG comments. Usually everyone is screaming filter or another problem whether the OCI was 4100 miles or 10000 miles. Actually for 4100 miles maybe a little high, still breaking in maybe. If this were a 10000 mile OCI the 21 would be acceptable

Vehicle is still breaking in with LESS than 10 thousand TOTAL miles.

Since SI is trending down all is okay.

No alarm needed by Blackstone or BITOG.

Bill

TBN of 3.4 is pretty low for only 4100 miles, especially since PP starts out at over 10. This engine must either be pretty hard on oil or PP's TBN retention is not consistent among all platforms.

I was curious on the reliability the 1NZ-FE with high mileage on them, so I was just doing some research. My '04 xB has 174k and I'm wondering if I should replace the water pump and alternator before it gives on me far from home.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Here is the link detailing the 1NZ-FE.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54&d=1137530385

Thank you for providing this link. Can you confirm that this is a good link? My computer can't open it right now. Maybe the Yarisworld site is having traffic issues, or maybe it's firewalled for me for some reason.

If someone can confirm that this link is good, could they possibly PM me the report? Or PM me for an email address?

Thanks very much!!

I had a 2008 Yaris hatchback for a year. I liked the car but driving 25-30,000 miles a year with frequent 6-8 hour drives was killing me (the seat was essentially a hammock on a steel frame). The car WAS flawless mechanically and with an automatic would deliver 39-42 mpg on the highway. I replaced it with a Chevy Impala and haven't looked back. I can ride in the Chevy all day and feel great when I arrive...no back or leg aches. My other problem with the Yaris was the light and vague electric steering system. It needed constant corrections and was a disaster on a windy day...got tired just trying to keep it in the right lane. There are a lot of complaints regarding Toyota's vague steering in a lot of their models but the Yaris was really bad. From what I can see here (and from 2 analysis I had performed by Blackstone), Toyotas tend to run high silicon numbers. Like copper readings for GM engines, seems to be the nature of the beast. Mine trended down after 15,000 miles or so but was still reading in the low 20's. I doubt that it has any effect on the longevity of these well designed motors. If I just needed a local commuter I'd probably have kept the Yaris (due to it's reliability and mileage) but am willing to trade 10 mpg for the comfort I have in the Impala for my heavy driving routine.

I am 6'-2" and VERY comfortable in my yaris. AFA wandering goes - its all a factor of tires, pressure and alignment. Too much TP or crummy tires - its not good - which is typical of any basic strut design. The toyota yaris front end is pretty rubbery though. I own an 08 and the poor winter fuel up here in NE is huting my engine. Still havent bough an ethanol % test kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back