Funny Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever seen an albino strawberry growing its own seeds ?
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Obviously have the entire board enthralled at my mutant strawberry.

So we planted it in a pot to see what creeping things will emerge from it.

Oh, it's yours? How did you obtain it?

Please show the fruits of your mutant breeding effort!

We've got some strawberries going well this year.

Kerry and the kids were picking some, and came across the mutant.

PapaBear (There's only two reactors in the country apparently).

Today I picked a half red version off the same plant, which had also started growing from the seeds.

I've never seen a (ripe) white strawberry in person . How's it taste? Maybe this is a business opportunity. I hope there's no special tax on mutant berries!
wink.gif

Propagate it... who knows, you may have stumbled onto a new variety.

Anybody know the story of pink grapefruit? Back in 1906, when all grapefruit was white, a farmer checking on his grapefruit orchard stumbled upon one branch of a tree that gave odd-colored pink grapefruit. He painted a big "P" on it so he could later find it. He went back, harvested and propagated those seeds, and now half the grapefruit production today is pink grapefruit!

Got three now. Two planted, and one on the windowsill.

The others on the vine look a little funny, a little "necked" at the stalk end...wonder what they'll do.

Shannow,

Strawberry genetics is a hobby of mine. I have a collection of wild-type, cultivated, and mutagenized strawberries. I have had several great "white" strawberry strains. However, I have never seen your phenotype where the seeds seem to be germinating on the plant. I would be very interested in obtaining a plant to two. US import can be difficult, but it is possible. Have you eaten one?

Also, I have a colleage that is a strawberry geneticist for the US Department of Agriculture. Would you mind if I forward your picture to him?

GMorg,
more than happy for you to forward photos to your professor friend.

I've panted two strawberries, to see wht they get up to. There's only one plant throwing these at present, I'll try to get it to run and see what it does.

If another berry pops up, I'll autopsy it (for flavour, even though I dislike Strawberries), and to see whether it's rooting inside the fruit.

Quote:

PapaBear (There's only two reactors in the country apparently).

Today I picked a half red version off the same plant, which had also started growing from the seeds.

Austailia doesn't have any nuclear power plants, they might have in the past but I know they don't know because of the large abundance of coal that they have. I know in the US we have 104 nuclear plants and they produce 20% of our electricity. Electricity in France is 80% nuclear power. The US hasn't had any new nuclear plants in a long time because of the Three Mile Island incident in 1979 and the Chernobyl incident in 1986.

That is one cool strawberry. Don't let it die!

MN Driver,
correct, there are two research reactors which provide our medical and metallurgical isotopes. There's also a rumoured small power reactor at Pine Gap.

I don't plan on having my plant die, and I hope the ones I've planted grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back