The "real" German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the German Castrol site to see what they offer over there now. There is now sign of any 0W-30. It could be still available as "Werkstattöl" (shop oil), but not to the public.

Full synthetic oils:

- Castrol Formula RS 0W-40
übertrifft API SL/CF · ACEA A3/B3/B4 · VW-Normen 502 00 / 505 00 · BMW LongLife-01 · MB 229.1 · Porsche-Freigabe

- Castrol Formula RS 10W-60
übertrifft API SL/CF · ACEA A3/B3/B4
Interesting, no BMW spec is listed!

HC oils:

- Castrol GTX9 Magnatec 5W-30
übertrifft API SL/CF • ACEA A3/B3/B4 • VW 502 00/505 00 • MB 229.31 Besonders geeignet für moderne Fahrzeuge mit Rußpartikelfilter

-Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC
übertrifft API SL/CF · ACEA A3/B3/B4 · VW-Normen 502 00 / 505 00 · BMW LongLife-98 · MB 229.3 · Porsche-Freigabe

Leichtlauföle (Friction-modified oils):

- Castrol GTX5 MAGNATEC
übertrifft API SL/CF · ACEA A3/B3 · VW-Norm 505 00 · MB 229.1

Diesel Motor Oil:

- CASTROL GTD MAGNATEC 5W-40
API CF · ACEA A3/B3/B4 · VW 505 00 · MB 229.31 · alle Mercedes-Benz Pkw-Dieselmotoren

- Castrol GTD MAGNATEC SAE 10W-40
übertrifft API CF · ACEA B3 · VW-Norm 505 00 · MB 229.1

There are also mineral oil and top-up oil, but I really don't care for either. You can find info on those on your own.

Do yourself a favor and check out the "Classic Motoroils" in their old-fashioned metal cans:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=82916358&contentId=6007321

oil product chart: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82916366&contentId=6005169

German Castrol site: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=82916344&contentId=6007301

I agree with AJ that we shouldn't infer too much as well. In fact, I think that DCO Topup, the one 0W-30 still listed on Castrol Deutschland is the factory oil and the others are for the "do it yourselfer" who wants to use oil based on his/her own preferences, not factory requirements. I consider Mercedes 229.3 and A3 thresholds for street use...if an oil doesn't meet or exceed them both then I don't want to use that oil. Frankly, I think the 0W-40 and 10-60 are a step down in technology and chemistry and I would use them only if that was what my OEM recommended/required.

The classic cans are marvelous...I'd love to have a couple to "display."

quote:

Since there is no protecton of Moss-Magnusen there, it could very well be a link-up for people to buy the actual werkstat oil they desperately need *exclusively* at the dealership.

If any company were to try anything like that there, they'd have a riot on their hands. Dealers and other retailers alike charge the same retail price suggested by the manufacturer for. $20 per liter doesn't seem so bad. I paid about $15 for 1 liter BP Strato over there 15 years ago. The dealer got it from the BP gas station next door, and they charged me the same regular retail price.

Bye Bye GC
cheers.gif

I wouldn't infer too much from the fact there is currently no 0w-30 option. SLX is well-known and indeed a werkstat oil. It's not really a big deal that they are featuring 0w-40 for retail sale. 5w-50 is the best selling grade of Mobil 1 in Europe. Since vollsynth costs $20/l there, people probally buy and prefer heavier viscosities. Since there is no protecton of Moss-Magnusen there, it could very well be a link-up for people to buy the actual werkstat oil they desperately need *exclusively* at the dealership. BTW- SLX LongTech is 0w-30, iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back