For Cummins: Delo or Delvac, does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once warmer weather rolls around, I am going to swap out the D1 for dino oil, I have an 04.5 Cummins, used some for just driving and some for heavy towing. I know it is nitpicking here, but what is your gut feeling and why would you pick either oil?

Since summer is coming up here too and in some parts it would be touching 45c-50c, my experience with Delvac or Delo is that they both perform equally good, so you wont go wrong with either, the added advantage with Delo 400 CI-4+ is the inclusion of moly, in extreme conditions, this gives you an enhanced layer of protection but then the Delvac too never suffers from fatigue even when operated under extreme conditions.

Both are absolutely fantastic oils - you can't go wrong with either. I would however suggest that you look at the label on the container for "CI-4 Plus". The "Plus" rated Delo has been on the shelves for months, but I have yet to see any Delvac CI-4 Plus....

We have 3 5.9s and I'll tell you that you've got one of the best medium duty diesels ever made....

Wayne

The consensus used to be that Delo 400 had better base oils, and Delvac 1300 had a better add pack: they were effectively tied. Delo seems to have upgraded the add package with the CI-4 Plus reformulation, and may be a little bit better now. I'd choose Delo, but in reality, it probably wont make much difference.

quote:

The "Plus" rated Delo has been on the shelves for months, but I have yet to see any Delvac CI-4 Plus....

[/QB]

Wal-Marts in my area are closing out the Delvac CI-4+ at $5 a gallon! I stocked up on some 11 gallons
grin.gif

I like the delvac 1 product, and would suggest using that year round. if you use oil analysis, and be sure that soot doesnt creep past 2%, or TBN drops too low, the oil will do great.

JMH

the walmart here quit carrying delo. all they have know is rotella and delvac. im kinda dissapointed.

I'm presently running John Deere Torq-Gard Plus 50 in my daily-driver gasoline car. I would use the Delvac if I could get my mobil distributor to sell it to me (I'm looking for the 10W30 version of the HDEOs). That is because it has a higher TBN than the Delo on the spec sheets. Since I can't, I'll just go get Delo 400 (unless John Deere or Case-IH has a sale); it's a great oil.

Around here the Delo is 10 cents more per gallon, but is about 30 cents less than the Delvac at Sam's, if you have a Sam's, and a card.

Just a heads up.

i am very impressed with the delo 400. this is my first time using it and i am having a great experience with it. in the past when i used rotella t and schaeffers in my 6.5 diesel, i was using 2-3 quarts of top-off over a 3000 mile stretch. with the delo i have went almost 3000 miles and have only used a half quart.

Our Super Walmart carries both Delo and Delvac, and both are CI4 Plus rated. At $6.39 a gallon, I bought a bunch....

In a heavy truck engine the analysis looks basically identical after 25,000 mi.

I expect it would be the same in the Baby Cummins 6 (5.9).

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back