CATERHAM 0w-30, Honda Accord V6, 4k miles, racing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the most recent UOA of my Accord. The CATERHAM blend was drained and replaced with Redline 5w-20. The filter used was a Purolator PureONE

Calculated virgin specs
2qt Toyota 0w-20 + 2.5qt Mobil 1 0w-40
KV100: 10.96
VI: 198
HTHSV: 3.21
NOACK: 11.51% estimation

This analysis saw alot of abuse. 33 autocross runs over 5 events, 15 passes at a drag strip, and plenty of WOT street pulls. Im really satisfied with the performance of the oil. To put it into comparison, my previous analysis of Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 saw some WOT pulls and dyno time, no racing. So even with the increased abuse, the CATERHAM blend held up just fine!

04ACCORD-081013-page-001_zpsfbe5cd24.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent report! I think any brand name synthetic would do just fine in a Honda engine, they wear extremely well.

I am really impressed with Caterham's mix he devised.

This is probably the best UOA I have seen for someone who mildly raced their car.

Great report!!

Wow. That's very impressive. I'd really like to see how the Red Line does under similar conditions. I'll stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Wow. That's very impressive. I'd really like to see how the Red Line does under similar conditions. I'll stay tuned.

I too am very interested in how my beloved redline will stack up against caterhams super lube.
Looking at the ultra it basically put down the same numbers with no racing.

Our J30 runs a lot quieter on xw30 oils than on xw20.

My UOA's also showed lower wear metals running the 30-weight oils.

I realize this is not "proof" of anything, but it does give some peace of mind. I think this engine is somewhat hard on oil based on heavy shearing in my application and since Honda recommends 30-weight oils elsewhere I doubt it does any damage. Our Honda dealer uses 30-weight oil for their changes as well.

Either a 20 or 30-weight oil will protect the J30 just fine. Depends on your driving style, as long as you are not racing it around like this a Xw-20 will get it to 200K+ miles.

Agree with Chase. My J30 (132,000)thickened,used,and blackened M1 EP 5w-20 at 4800 mile oci. Wear was very low. Tried M1 5w-30 but my engine didn't like it.(Too thick). Now running the blend Mobil Super high mileage 5w-30 and my engine likes it better. No burning or blackening at 1,000 miles. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
It is amazing how much better a thicker oil performs.
Trolling.gif

LOL Enjoy this on your fishing trip.
36.gif

Wow, awesome report! UOA wise, it cannot get better than that considering all of the racing. I look forward to the Redline report.

Any thoughts on the "spike" in the Tin? Im also surprised that the 0w-30 didnt shear... at all.

OH FORGOT TO MENTION: I upgraded the intake manifold and removed the catalytic converters during this run. Doesnt look like it affected anything.

For the 2014 season, i plan on doing some autocross on Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 to see how that holds up.

Hi randomhero439,

Thanks for posting; an excellent report.

Even with this heavier version of the TGMO/M1 0W-40 blend the oil is no heavier at room temp's than a typical 5W-20, still lighter at colder temp's all with the high temperature benefits of a HTHSV 3.2cP oil.

RL 5W-20 is the antithesis of this blend with it's low 147 VI and 3.0HTHSV. Not only will it be more than 10% heavier at room temp's but over 35% at 32F while providing less high temp protection.

If you do try the TGMO/M1 0W-40 again I'd suggest a lighter version, perhaps 70% TGMO which will give you a very light 0W-30.
It will be lighter than M1 AFE 0W-20 at temp's as high as 85F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back