0w-20 Mobil 1 EP 7709 Miles 2016 Honda Accord

16 ACCORD-210724.jpg

All samples with the exception of the prior one dated 11/28/2019 are 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP. The prior sample was 5w-30 Mobil 1 EP. Going forward that will be the oil of choice.

Not if you adjust for the OCI. Iron was 2.85 per thousand miles on this sample vs. 1.73 per thousand on the 5w-30. That's a 65% increase.

? If you measure against where Blackstone would think it is a problem then it isn't a 65% increase. It is an insignificant increase as they have noted "as steel parts are wearing well"

65% is mathematically correct, but only in the context of measuring something of insignificance.

Well Blackstone doesn't think iron is a problem, should be fine...
Maybe change to EP high mileage oil and see what'll happen?

Not if you adjust for the OCI. Iron was 2.85 per thousand miles on this sample vs. 1.73 per thousand on the 5w-30. That's a 65% increase.
but but but muh oil analasys proves nothing 0w-20 is just has good o_O ...... nah thicker protects more.

People trying to use a UOA to demonstrate that one oil is better than another have a serious and complete misunderstanding of how a $30 spectrographic analysis works. Or just a total lack of understanding of basic scientific method. One or the other.

Blackstone themselves state that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between the oils they test. The UOA gives a glimpse of how the specific engine is operating under specific operating conditions, it does not reflect "how good the oil did."

I don’t think 5w30 is enough… bump it up to Mobil 1’s 0w40! I’m willing to bet that she will be purring like a kitten. 👍🏻😁

It also took almost 2 years to get this sample compared to
Remember that most iron parts of the engine do not operate in hydrodynamic lubrication. Cylinders walls, cam lobes and lifters, timing chains, etc... all operate in boundary and elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication. The rings briefly go through hydrodynamic lubrication around peak piston speed of the stroke.

If the viscosity were an issue, I would expect more copper and lead (bearing) wear, not iron. Unless the bearing material is different. It could be weaker additive response and less surface tension with the high PAO content allowed condensation to promote rust over the long (time) OCI. I'm just speculating though.

Regardless, I would probably use M1 EP 5W-30 and change it once a year or 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
It also took almost 2 years to get this sample compared to
Remember that most iron parts of the engine do not operate in hydrodynamic lubrication. Cylinders walls, cam lobes and lifters, timing chains, etc... all operate in boundary and elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication. The rings briefly go through hydrodynamic lubrication around peak piston speed of the stroke.

If the viscosity were an issue, I would expect more copper and lead (bearing) wear, not iron. Unless the bearing material is different. It could be weaker additive response and less surface tension with the high PAO content allowed condensation to promote rust over the long (time) OCI. I'm just speculating though.

Regardless, I would probably use M1 EP 5W-30 and change it once a year or 10,000 miles.
"If viscosity were an issue..."

"Regardless..."

Regardless of what ?
Regardless of the fact the Honda says to use thin oil ?
Regardless of the fact that this is a 2016 Accord ?

Everything except your last paragraph.

Cheap SP 0W20.
5k mile OCI.
10k mile OFCI.
IMHO.

"If viscosity were an issue..."

"Regardless..."

Regardless of what ?
Regardless of the fact the Honda says to use thin oil ?
Regardless of the fact that this is a 2016 Accord ?

Everything except your last paragraph.

Cheap SP 0W20.
5k mile OCI.
10k mile OFCI.
IMHO.

Meaning regardless if it's high iron from corrosive wear, lower viscosity (unlikely), or just margin of error or crossover in ICP, if I were the OP, I'd use the 5W-30 anyway. It's obvious he feels better about the 5W-30, it won't harm anything, and if it puts his mind at ease, well that's worth a whole lot more than the 0.5% mpg difference.

Correction, clarifications and comments on the initial post:
  1. The first sample was actually whatever the Honda dealer put in the car, Note the higher levels of Molly and Zinc.
  2. The worst sample dated 2/3/2019 can likely be explained by the car having been stuck in snow storm traffic for over six hours on a drive that should have taken 75 minutes.
  3. The iron per thousand miles of the 5w-30 and the prior 0w-20 samples are identical for all intents and purposes.
  4. As was noted by someone else, the way the vehicle is being driven has changed dramatically. It had been racking up over 2000 highway miles per month prior to COVID-19 but averaged only 385 miles in total per month on the latest OCI. What's worse is that there were several 2000 mile months at the beginning of the last OCI, meaning that the vehicle is seeing about 100 miles per month now.
  5. This engine has fuel dilution issues that lower viscosity. Note how the cSt viscosity of the 5w-30 sample actually lands in the range of a 0w-20.
That being said, it will be a 5w-30 M1 EP vehicle with no more than 10,000 mile OCIs going forward. This was not intended to be a thick vs. thin discussion. I have over 200,000 miles of data on two prior Hondas using 0w-20 that consistently outperformed Blackstone's universal averages. This engine just appears to wear more than the averages.

People trying to use a UOA to demonstrate that one oil is better than another have a serious and complete misunderstanding of how a $30 spectrographic analysis works. Or just a total lack of understanding of basic scientific method. One or the other.

Blackstone themselves state that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between the oils they test. The UOA gives a glimpse of how the specific engine is operating under specific operating conditions, it does not reflect "how good the oil did."
You keep saying that like it means something.

Well. It certainly does.

As far as the vast majority of BITOG is concerned, why did SAE and ILSAC bother with testing to move towards SP/GF-6A & B designations.

Improved wear while also reducing viscosity ?

BITOG says "who cares ? "

Back