Gary Allan'd my 2.5 Daytona!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy everyone! Just joined the mad scientist club, having dosed my 2.5 N/A Daytona with "the recipe" -- a quart of MMO and about a quart and a half of ATF (free leftover from a friend's tranny top-up) went into 15 gallons of Chevron 87 on the 10th.

This is only the car's second tank of gas under my ownership, so I can't track a change in mileage, unfortunately -- but the car now starts up with NO hesitation (compared to endless cranking when cold before the treatment and idles and accelerates noticeably smoother, and keeps improving all the time. I love science!

No cloud of ATF death-fog behind me, though -- am I doing something wrong?
wink.gif

Forgive me, for I knew not what I did
pat.gif
freak2.gif
grin.gif
(note to other self - They're beginning to believe you - Yes, I've got them exactly where they want me )

quote:

No cloud of ATF death-fog behind me, though -- am I doing something wrong?
wink.gif

(visions of Field of Dreams)

Add more and it will come.

Quick update: Through a little over a 1/4 tank, and all I can say is YEEEOW! Floored the gas pedal out of curiosity, and the car LEAPT! Revs smoothly climbed, speed increased, it was wonderful! Before, a wide-open throttle run resulted in so much stumbling and the like that the car'd actually LOSE speed.

This is amazing, highly recommended. A head gasket job's coming up soon, so I should be able to post up some pics of the heads/pistons.

Thank you Gary!

Wow, ya gotta wonder what's going on in that engine with that much red stuff in only 15 gallons of gasoline! There should be a cloud somewhere. . . But hey, it's the results that count, so if it's working for you, terrific.

I did a half quart of ATF and a half quart (roughly) of MMO to a full tank in my 92 Accord. Didn't really notice anything, 'cept that it seemed to start a bit harder in the mornings.

quote:

I did a half quart of ATF and a half quart (roughly) of MMO to a full tank in my 92 Accord. Didn't really notice anything, 'cept that it seemed to start a bit harder in the mornings.

Ah, see, there's your problem -- you need to quadruple the ATF and double the MMO before you get the full Mad Scientist benefit
fruit.gif

quote:

What is this supposed to do, anyways? Clean the top end?

Indeed it is, sir -- pistons, combustion chamber, heads 'n valves all seem to benefit greatly. I'd run a search for MMO ATF for more people's stories of "The Recipe." Highly recommended!

Update: Half a tank and better all the time. The idle's buttery now, and the Daytona pulls hard, smooth, and strong. Once this tank's through I think it'll be time to replace the spark plugs, and I'll snap some photos if there's anything interesting to see.

quote:

what kind of atf? i wanna try this... dont want to get some wrong kind....

Plain ol' Dexron-III is what to use -- the original recipe is 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil and 2 quarts ATF in 20 gallons of gas. My tank only holds 15 gallons, so I felt ok with 1 quart MMO and 1.5 quarts ATF.

MMO/ATF mix goes in first, so the gas being poured it mixes it up all nice-like. Astounding results over here, can't recommend it enough.

Has Molakule or Terry chimed in on this Gary Allan Brew?

Yes. Terry has cautioned against the use of ATF
shocked.gif
. I believe some discussions in the past have shown that there is an assertion that ash levels in ATF are not good for the internals in a combustion environment. He hasn't elaborated just what he's cautioning about ..but I would surely respect his opinion and realize that there may be unfavorable side effects ..even if others, myself included, have not experienced any.

I add this disclaimer (sorta) since I'm now "part of the language" in this thing. All that will be needed is ONE (just one) adverse experience and I'll be the "designer of doom".

Keep in mind that I'm the type that can't stand a mystery if I have the ability to explore something (funds, time, etc.). The solution to a puzzle is its own reward. I got so annoyed at the filter bypass valve debate that I've spent over $200 in gauges, hardware, and oil/filters ..just to allow myself the ability to speak with authority and NOT just take someone else's word for it. If someone is sweating grams of weight ..I throw on 12 lbs just to see if they're justified in their anxiety over .002gms difference. I tend to have hardwired issues with unfounded and unproven anxiety that makes others tiptoe for no good darn reason.

It's the same with MMO. I really wasn't trying to (necessarily) "do" anything. The main thrust of the massive overdosing was to, perhaps, silence the naysayer ("you'll shoot your eye out, kid") types that run around like Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling whenever something like MMO is mentioned. I wanted to either verify or dispell my "belief".

Maybe I just listened too many times to William Shatner say "To BOLDLY go where no man has gone before!" and liked the feeling it gave me
dunno.gif
confused.gif

So, aside from the contraversial use of ATF in the mix, I can say that I not only used, but abused, MMO and had nothing but favorable effects. YMMV This is not a recommended usage level by anyone of authority (although I doubt that anyone is truly an authority in this oddball realm) ..including the vendor/manufacturer/refiner.

Sometimes I think many BITOG'ers have the "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" syndrome with maintenance / additives. If your vehicle is running properly, why do something this risky instead of just using additives as instructed?

Somewhat true, moving2. There are also issues with our engines that are so insidious and gradual in nature, that we never realize that they exist. Automated systems also mask slow and progressive problems. Your clogging injectors are fixed by your fuel trims (long term adaptives). They'll seek the right balance and broaden the pulse width of the injector pulse.

Sometimes we don't know what's wrong ..since we're clueless as to what "right" feels like. I went from a 65 Oldmobile Dynamic 88 with 425 2bbl carb to a 1975 4bbl 350 with electronic ignition. When it was cold ..it stumbled a bit. My Olds did too when it was cold (lame choke). I didn't think anything of it until I hosed down the engine at night and found a lightning storm under the hood. I didn't know what was wrong ..since I didn't know any better.

This is naturally a severe case that I'm citing here ..but there are tons of subtle degradations that we aren't aware of until they're relieved just due to the vast span of time that they took to get that way.

That's why someone like Sydney can get radical results from doing something like this. It probably would have never occured if he had some some periodic additve (at recommended dosages) all along the way. ..Side effects of excellent fuel management systems, I guess. You don't need to do anything to them for a very long time
dunno.gif

ATF doesn't have enough adds to be used in the crankcase, but too much to burn.

I thought that 1qt/1000 miles was acceptable for engine oil in a combustion chamber (proved in court ??).

Therefore 4qt/1000 miles or at least a qt/tank of ATF must also be acceptable...sans engine oil consumption.

Groucho got it.

The ATF, when used as an oil additive or flush gets criticised as not having enough additives to be added to an engine.

When added to fuel, it's got too much additives.

But when an engine burns oil, 1 quart per 1000 miles is apparently acceptable.

So I pro-ratered the additives, and 4 quarts of ATF (give or take) is about the same as a litre of oil, so 1 quart per 250 miles should be no worse than burning oil.

I'd also be interesting in hearing more details about how this worked, and any results you can show w/the head off the engine......are you planning on doing this again, or just once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back