Mobile 1 Oil filter w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was in use for 6 months And about 10,000 miles In a 2010 MB ML 350 With 90% highway mileage. It was the mobile 1 Cartridge filter Part number m1c 253 I was hoping some experts out there Can explain to me Why this filter Looks like it got Squeezed in the middle There is no tears in the filter. Did this filter fail or did it's job ?? Thanks In advance
1B6D0E0C-0E01-41B3-BB86-A4E563AC0EEE-2468-0000016FDDDB08CB_zps2e5ba86b.jpg
80934055-3629-482F-B691-A4FA90ED9524-2468-0000016FE7E1820D_zpsef3310db.jpg
12B45F61-8790-447D-821E-B9200C8F10B1-2468-0000016FF78638E7_zps01686f30.jpg
EB0C321A-77EA-4986-9F74-47A4B4448A06-2468-0000017001983097_zps5360027e.jpg

Looks like the filter is too tall. When you tightened the filter housing cap, it started to crush.

Or it wasn't seated properly. (I don't know if this is possible on that car)

Try an OEM filter (or a Mahle/Mann/Knecht) and see if it does the same thing.

My Fusion has the cartridge filter and it shows compression as well when removed. This is normal.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Looks like the filter is too tall. When you tightened the filter housing cap, it started to crush.

Or it wasn't seated properly. (I don't know if this is possible on that car)

The filter was the same length as the original And it was seated all the way in Just like the OEM

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

+1
That's what I installed this time Mann Part # hu718/5x

It is from expansion due to moisture absorption. Mazda filters do the same thing if there is some moisture. If there is no moisture, the filter will stay straight.

It hasn't shown to affect performance.

Looks normal to me. My sons Ecotec 4 cyl cartridge filter also deformed in the middle - and his was a lot shorter.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My Fusion has the cartridge filter and it shows compression as well when removed. This is normal.

No its not. I've run cartridge filters for years in BMW- MB (same engine as OP) and Porsche. 8k-9k is longest I've run and none (Mann & Mahle) of mine we compressed, twisted or damaged, just very dark.

That filter is not the correct one to run extended use in a MB. The Mann 718/5 is completely different than this for a reason. This M1 is more closely related to the 718/6, which is not an extended use filter for your application.

Last edited:
I just returned two M1 718/5 equivalents to the store (and got a nice $40 + tax credit).

Mercedes says to only use fleece filters on post 2007 models.

They're less than $10 as well.

Originally Posted By: typ901

No its not. I've run cartridge filters for years in BMW- MB (same engine as OP) and Porsche. 8k-9k is longest I've run and none (Mann & Mahle) of mine we compressed, twisted or damaged, just very dark.

That filter is not the correct one to run extended use in a MB. The Mann 718/5 is completely different than this for a reason. This M1 is more closely related to the 718/6, which is not an extended use filter for your application.

Yes it is normal. I have used differant brands of cartridge filters and everyone does this.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
It is from expansion due to moisture absorption.

I'm wondering if full synthetic media is less sensitive to moisture and the resulting expansion (?).

I used these filters in my E430 for up to 15k miles without any deformed on the filter: Mann HU718/5X, Bosch 72204, Mahle OX345/7D and Hengst.

M1C-253 isn't better than German fleece filter but it costs more, so there is no reason to use M1C-253.

That's what I thought too When I Bought it with an oil change deal But when I called mobile They told me to follow Manufacturers specification. They told me it's perfectly fine To run it to the mileage of mb Recommendations

Collapsed filter IMO is failure and next could be torn media. The loss of vertical structure means the end contact seal could be bypassing, depending on the mounting. If it was synthetic media it would not absorb moisture and expand. I assume no internal support or mesh backed media. Apparently not a premium product, I would move on and try other brands. The cartridges I use have metal centers.

Yes it is normal. I have used differant brands of cartridge filters and everyone does this.

No- our MB has the same engine and ran at least 9k before the FSS ran down to zero and the filter was not damaged. If yours comes out like that it is a poorly constructed filter and that is not normal. You are talking about a different engine-filter completely. How can you say that is normal when you are comparing a Fusion to a ML 350? Different engine- different filter.
Two of my cars run the same filter 718/5. And I will bet you a case of your revered M1 that when I change the oil in my vehicles the filter will be almost straight as an arrow.

Last edited:

No- our MB has the same engine and ran at least 9k before the FSS ran down to zero and the filter was not damaged. If yours comes out like that it is a poorly constructed filter and that is not normal. You are talking about a different engine-filter completely. How can you say that is normal when you are comparing a Fusion to a ML 350? Different engine- different filter.
Two of my cars run the same filter 718/5. And I will bet you a case of your revered M1 that when I change the oil in my vehicles the filter will be almost straight as an arrow.
I still have the filter shod i contact Mobil and see what they say or just for get it and toss it ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back