CalChrome Clear MB 15" Bundt Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Well, I got them back! The 15" MB bundt wheels that I got from Germany, sent to CA, and were delivered back to me. I havent had a lot of time, plus my CD is still needing a vapor barrier, so it is not going to be used much this instant... but my curiosity peaked so I opened one up...

Now this isnt regular electroplated chrome, this is vapor deposition with clearcoating over it. It is a warrantied chrome designed for salty environments. My CD wont see winter salt if I can help it, but these wheels should be good for the elements. I think this stuff is really a powder coat clear over vapor deposited and polished metal.

The rims were pretty smooth and didnt have any real curb rash, but there were a few minor spots. They chromed smooth, though I think they repaired them all a bit. The inside of the wheel barrel is not smooth, but it is chromed and shiny. I guess perhaps they had removed some metal before coating. Will see how they balance, but I imagine they will be fine.

They will get H-rated COOPER CS4 in 195/65R-15, and put on my 300CD which had chrome wheels when I bought it in CA.

DSC_6117.jpg

Here they are:

JH1_7182.jpg

JH1_7183.jpg

JH1_7184.jpg

JH1_7185.jpg

JH1_7186.jpg

JH1_7187.jpg

JH1_7188.jpg

JH1_7189.jpg

JH1_7190.jpg

JH1_7191.jpg

JH1_7192.jpg

JH1_7193.jpg

JH1_7194.jpg

JH1_7195.jpg

JH1_7196.jpg

JH1_7197.jpg

JH1_7198.jpg

JH1_7199.jpg

JH1_7200.jpg

JH1_7201.jpg

JH1_7202.jpg

JH1_7203.jpg

JH1_7204.jpg

JH1_7205.jpg

They look great. They also look very expensive! Did you spend pretty penny for this work? You must love your 300CD very much :)

Nice wheels and a very nice job!
These are Euro only wheels right? I don't remember seeing them here in the US on these cars.

yeah the 15" were really Euro only. Very few were actually forged by MB (I believe by Fuchs). MB classic still sells them for a lot of $$$.

ATS and a few other companies that are well known for euro wheels made them as well.

It cost me $125/wheel at California Chrome Wheel. Shipping was the worst part!

Quote:
It cost me $125/wheel at California Chrome Wheel. Shipping was the worst part!

The price is right and the pain of the shipping will soon go away once you look at the car with these on it.

I wish you didn't post pictures like this.
lol.gif
I miss my old 1980 W123 200D with its Fabric and leather seats and 4 spd stick even more.

^ They do not say, or I can't find, if they use the "old" hexavalent or new trivalent chroming process. Tri is supposedly darker, which your rims seem to have at least from my POV. It is also more eco friendly, something I'd expect from California.

Compare the luster to a name brand chromed tool of yours from the last decade, and from a "classic" chrome, the old stuff will be "whiter".

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ They do not say, or I can't find, if they use the "old" hexavalent or new trivalent chroming process. Tri is supposedly darker, which your rims seem to have at least from my POV. It is also more eco friendly, something I'd expect from California.

Compare the luster to a name brand chromed tool of yours from the last decade, and from a "classic" chrome, the old stuff will be "whiter".

These are bright... My first few shots were taken in poor light on a rainy day with bad flash settings.

The actual type I dont know though...

But the powder clear was what I was after... and if it is a tad darker, I dont mind, I actually like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back