"Titanium" oil additives and the like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain the recent marketing of oils enhanced with Titanium and other substances that we''ve never heard of before?

Is it all marketing hype or is there some good science and proof that they work?

Is there a new wonder component or components that can equal the performance of the old oils that had alot of ZDDP in them?

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Can someone explain the recent marketing of oils enhanced with Titanium and other substances that we''ve never heard of before?

Is it all marketing hype or is there some good science and proof that they work?

Is there a new wonder component or components that can equal the performance of the old oils that had alot of ZDDP in them?

you post that like old SJ/older oils were better than what we have now.

I have read a few times on here that Titanium has helped with MPG's. I have not researched this persoanlly to see if there is any evidence to suggest this to be a possibility.

Having just passed 6,000 miles on the odometer, I believe my 2012 Veloster is adequately broken in (on QS factory fill (syn?) and one QS conventional dealer OC). After months of research (oil formulations, UOAs, VOAs, etc.), I decided to give Kendall 5W20 syn blend with titanium a trial & changed the Veloster to that oil today.

I live in a very moderate climate with no temperature extremes, drive conservatively, and prefer DIY ~5,000 mile/twice annually OCIs with syn blends vis-a-vis extended OCIs with syn oils. Other vehicles in my stable live on Motorcraft syn blends.

I recognize the merits of SOPUS products & have used them occasionally, but some of the ConocoPhillips formulations have caught my attention. At $3.70/quart, Kendall is my choice for now.

$3.70/qt. Is that for the full syn GT1 or the Syn Blend?

I priced the GT1 locally here this morning and was surprised it was $4.49/qt in one quart bottles. Seems pretty reasonable in the one quart size IMO. And cheaper than PP in the 5+ quart container at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Cooker

I priced the GT1 locally here this morning and was surprised it was $4.49/qt in one quart bottles. Seems pretty reasonable in the one quart size IMO. And cheaper than PP in the 5+ quart container at Walmart.

I purchased the Kendall GT-1 5W20 synthetic blend from my local ConocoPhillips distributor at $44.40/case FOB dockside.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: Cooker

I purchased the Kendall GT-1 5W20 synthetic blend from my local ConocoPhillips distributor at $44.40/case FOB dockside.

Be aware that there appears to be a lot of GF-4/SM Kendall GT-1 oils still available at vendors and online. If you prefer the GF-5/SN oil, be sure to check any purchase.

The oil I bought is the newer formulation.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Mobil Super 5000 has titanium in it, but does not advertise it on the jug container.

Correct...33 ppm in their 5W30 species.

Quote:

Yes there is. It is another anti-wear and friction modification additive::

Quote:
Enhancement of Engine Oil Wear and Friction Control
Performance through Titanium Additive Chemistry

M. GUEVREMONT, GREGORY H. GUINTHER, DEWEY SZEMENYEI, MARK T. DEVLIN and TZE-CHI JAO
Afton Chemical Corporation
Richmond, VA 23219
and
CHERNO JAYE, JOSEPHWOICIK and DANIEL A. FISCHER
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Gaithersburg, MD 20899

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back