Blackstone's UOA report of the month - 122,635 -FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like this Nissan truck is a very good candidate for a "Kreen Treatment".

A UOA tells us nothing about sludge buildup in an engine or how clean/dirty an engine is internally.

There is no way he never topped off. All engines consume oil, even new ones. I bet all the oil has been replaced by topping off many many times over the years. More so the older it became as the rings became heavily clogged with sludge.

We're looking a brew of top offs with a filter in bypass.

That is freaking gross if true.
Who spends hard earned money on a vehicle and "doesn't believe in oil changes"
It should be the opposite...

As said though, the KA's are awesome. Such reliable engines. Some other types of engines would not have been able to handle that, but that engine apparently can.

If that report is true, it is bad news for oil change OCD.

I don't think it is true. I have seen GM engines with 1/2 the mileage where the FF turned into something that looked like black glass. The oil filter would have been in bypass.

There is only one way it could have that many miles on it and still have the factory fill: They towed it behind a motor-home for 110,000 miles. I have seen retired people do that with small cars and trucks.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That is freaking gross if true.
Who spends hard earned money on a vehicle and "doesn't believe in oil changes"
It should be the opposite...

I knew a guy that bought a new car every 3 years when the warranty ran out. He beat the snot out of his vehicles. After 3 years, they looked worse than a junk yard wreck. Some people do that.

Would the miles be racking up if the truck is turned off but is being towed?

Originally Posted By: Artem
Would the miles be racking up if the truck is turned off but is being towed?

Older cars would. I don't know if a 1997 would still rack up the miles.

I looked at 1997 Nissan instrument clusters on ebay (they didn't have one for a pickup truck) and most of them had mechanical odometers. Mechanical odos run off the tranny and would still count miles if the wheel was turning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Mechanical odos run off the tranny and would still count miles if the wheel was turning.

Mechanical odos are also easy to tamper with. So are the electronic ones, I guess, if you have the right software...

Originally Posted By: Artem
...UOA report of the month of a 1997 Nissan pickup truck that went 122,635 on the factory filled oil. ...Thoughts comments?

It's a good way to save huge money on oil changes - but you must change your car after 122,635 miles. Good business!
crazy.gif

Well I will go on record and say [censored]. I do not believe that for a second. Just a bunch of [censored]. Call me a nay sayer on this issue.
06.gif

Who else noticed that laboratories is misspelled at the end of that link? How could Blackstone get that wrong?

This kind of silliness, as absurd as it sounds, is not unique.

When I worked at Ford, there was an engineer there that NEVER changed his oil. He would do FCIs (changed his filter every 3k miles as I recall), but never touched the pan drain plug. His logic was that the filter change interval and subsequent top-off was enough.

While I don't subscribe to that kind of maintenance plan, I can attest that I rode in the vehicle a few times. It didn't smoke, puke or run all that bad. Even with 90k miles on it (Aerostar with 2.9L v-6).

I'd never do this; most BITOGers would never do this.
But it kind of puts the other extreme of synthetic/5k mile OCIs in perspective as a bit of overkill, does it not?
The reality is that somewhere in the middle, 99+% of us "normal" folks that do simple routine OCIs will survive just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Who else noticed that laboratories is misspelled at the end of that link? How could Blackstone get that wrong?

Heh... they've had the same mistake on all their newsletters since early 2011.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
There is no way he never topped off. All engines consume oil, even new ones. I bet all the oil has been replaced by topping off many many times over the years. More so the older it became as the rings became heavily clogged with sludge.

We're looking a brew of top offs with a filter in bypass.

+1

I can hear the Blackstone comments now: "PPM per mile looks is within the universal averages. Try 150K and report back".

Originally Posted By: JOD
I can hear the Blackstone comments now: "PPM per mile looks is within the universal averages. Try 150K and report back".

banana2.gif
cheers3.gif

I dont think we have the whole story

Insolubles @ 0.4? Someone was changing the oil filter imo.

Change the filter and then top off? Now that I can believe.

even then I bet that engine has some serious sludge buildup.

Originally Posted By: JOD

crackmeup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back