Need help choosing a car for the MIL....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
On the Malibu have someone look for any small oli leak around the intake gasket. I do not know what year (IF any) GM finaly figured out how to put one of those engines together without the intake gasket going bad afer 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

I thought that was with the older GMs. If the 2008 he's looking at has a 4 cylinder then it should be the Ecotec.

Spoke with the MIL, she's not happy with a car that old and that cheap. She INSISTS that I purchase a more expensive car.

After talking it over with her daughter(my sig. other) we decided that since she's never had a nice, new(er) car in her life other than the 05 we got for her in 09, (which was VERY basic aside from power locks, auto and a/c) she deserves something nice. All her senior friends are rolling in Chryslers and older CTS's.

This is going to be her last car and she doesn't see herself driving that much longer, let alone living that much longer considering her health. I say why not let her go out with a bang, and get her a nicely equipped Malibu that's newer.

Thanks again for all the help guys
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, a new Buick Verano would be nice.....but, you can't go wrong with a Malibu either, pretty good car.

What's her mobility like? With hand controls I assume she has a wheel chair and will have accessibility issues? Or have lots of friends who will have trouble with a low car?
Maybe something like a Matrix with a power seat that goes way up, up right easy access height seating, and the car ends at the rear glass.
Some long boat will be a parking lot nightmare and almost all sedans these days have poor rear view sight angles...
Also maybe a Chevy Orlando? Good visibility, stable on the road, not to high or low to get in and out of, lots of room for a wheel chair or walker?
My Grandfather bought my Neon and it wasn't a smart purchase in terms of accessibility, it was too low and 80-90 year olds could hardly get into the back seat.

2012 Subaru Impreza. Super high MPG for AWD, and she could have AWD in case it was ever needed.

Thansk for the suggestions guys. I really like the Fusion and the Sonata but I think we're also gonna check out the Malibu a little closer.

I wanna stay away from imports as she lives in a small town and the senior population do not take well to imports well (I had a heck of a time convincing her that a Hyundai is a reputable car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back