Asked shop for specific OE part to be installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my car in for service and it needed a radiator, asked specifically for a Denso OE rad (supplied part number) to be used as a replacement of course allowing them to source it and install it. Got the car back and found that they used a cheap alternative, and it does look low quality. I've been using this shop for about a decade now and basically they have done good work but this bothers me since the job was not cheap, 350 bucks...

What do you guys think, should I go back and confront them (politely of course) or just forget about it, my real concern is that the durability of this unit will probably not be to the high standard as the Denso part would be.

Car is a 1994 Honda Accord 2.2L .

Suggestions welcome.

What did they charge for parts?

i assume the denso would cost more. if they upcharged for the denso and then used a cheaper one then I would be unhappy.

otherwise your request my have slipped through the cracks and they did it like any other job.

Well considering it is an old vehicle my question is how long do you want to have it for? if it is till it dies I say go back and speak with them. You were under the impression that you were getting what you asked for. Potentially upcharged

In regards to the price that seems OK but not the greatest. Old Hondas were one of the easiest engines I have had the pleasure of working on so labor shouldn't have been that bad for a radiator. I looked up radiator prices on rockauto and even their most expensive radiator was $75. It wasn't denso but still a good brand from my experience (TYC.) I think the price is pretty steep to find out you got the product you didn't requested....

Our 94 integra (and this also happened to a friend's 96, so it seemed systemic) liked to crack the plastic tops.

Odd to me since our 30 year old MBs and 20 year old BMWs all have original plastic radiators...

We went to an aftermarket that was all metal, and it worked perfect.

So it may be a good thing, depending upon what you got... The all metal one didnt look right in the installed spot, but it was highly reliable and worked great.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Well considering it is an old vehicle my question is how long do you want to have it for? if it is till it dies I say go back and speak with them. You were under the impression that you were getting what you asked for. Potentially upcharged

In regards to the price that seems OK but not the greatest. Old Hondas were one of the easiest engines I have had the pleasure of working on so labor shouldn't have been that bad for a radiator. I looked up radiator prices on rockauto and even their most expensive radiator was $75. It wasn't denso but still a good brand from my experience (TYC.) I think the price is pretty steep to find out you got the product you didn't requested....

yeah that's why I was curious what the charged for the rad. I too went straight to RA to see what a rad for his car would cost. $50-75.

Most shops buy from the closest chain parts store so lets say it was 75 + 50% markup (i have heard of even 100%+ markup) = $112 for a new rad.

Found a site selling OEM honda parts and they list a denso rad at $220.

Thanks for all the rapid responses....

I do plan on keeping this car for at least another 5 or 7 years (only has 129k miles on it) and has been very well maintained during it's entire lifetime so far.

I'll have to go back to the invoice and look at what is listed, I don't believe they listed a Denso brand radiator, which BTW is the OE manufacturer and I consider 18 years of life for plastic tanks to be decent if not good.

The reason I didn't ask right as I picked the car up is because I have never really had any issues to speak of with this kind of thing, perhaps once or twice I had to return with my other car for things to be made completely right which they were always good about.

I was surprised though when I got home to open the hood to find something that while it looks close to OEM clearly isn't it is a plastic tank unit.

I'm definitely going to check just to be sure that the unit has the transmission cooler lines hooked up! I briefly looked down towards the bottom of the tank and don't recall seeing those connections or lines, and they are required.

Any serious consequence for the tranny if the unit is driven for 20 mile easy trips a few times with the cooler function disconnected??

Last edited:
The problem as I see it is not whether the new radiator is OK but, that you specifically requested a specific part. I would inform the shop I am very unhappy that they did not follow my request or contact me before changing parts. If they are nice, forget it and hope it lasts and if they are nasty about it then, find another shop for future work. No sense loosing a lot of sleep over this speed bump in life. Ed

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Just had my car in for service and it needed a radiator, asked specifically for a Denso OE rad (supplied part number) to be used as a replacement of course allowing them to source it and install it. Got the car back and found that they used a cheap alternative, and it does look low quality. I've been using this shop for about a decade now and basically they have done good work but this bothers me since the job was not cheap, 350 bucks...

What do you guys think, should I go back and confront them (politely of course) or just forget about it, my real concern is that the durability of this unit will probably not be to the high standard as the Denso part would be.

Car is a 1994 Honda Accord 2.2L .

Suggestions welcome.

If you asked specifically for the radiator and they went and subbed it without your approval I would ask them to remove it and put in what you ordered !!

I would be polite (of course) unless they balked at doing what you asked/payed for, then I'd become un-polite. Stop payment.

Up to you.

All the best.

Bob R

Any serious consequence for the tranny if the unit is driven for 20 mile easy trips a few times with the cooler function disconnected??

I doubt the transmission cooler lines are not hooked up. The rubber hoses connect to the radiator, so if they're not connected to the radiator, the shop would have left them dangling (and noticed it, when transmission fluid poured out) or have had to done something specific to close that loop, like hook the two lines together to complete the circuit (and I would consider this dishonest if they didn't inform you of it).

Check for leaks, but you can be 99% assured that the cooler lines are installed correctly.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

Most shops buy from the closest chain parts store so lets say it was 75 + 50% markup (i have heard of even 100%+ markup) = $112 for a new rad.

I would guess they just called whoever they buy parts from, found out they don't sell Denso and just ordered whatever they do sell.

Most normal shops would not take the time to find a specific part online and order it. They'll just get whatever their normal parts supplier has.

To the OP-
In the future, if you want a specific brand of part you should probably buy it and have the shop install it.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

I would guess they just called whoever they buy parts from, found out they don't sell Denso and just ordered whatever they do sell.

Most normal shops would not take the time to find a specific part online and order it. They'll just get whatever their normal parts supplier has.

To the OP-
In the future, if you want a specific brand of part you should probably buy it and have the shop install it.

Actually I have no issue if a shop chooses to use something else brand wise (as long as it will function correctly and last for a reasonable period of time) but I think they should have at least let me know they couldn't source that part. It's not letting me know that kind of annoys me, I've been a customer of their for over a decade now, I don't think it's too much to ask for.

I had my 2000 E430 radiator replaced with BEHR(made in Germany) which is OEM without Tri-Star logo couple months ago. Including upper hose, 1.5 gallon Zerex G-05 and labor the total cost was around $400.

All these specific requests should be written on the work order; if they aren't, not much to go on.

Install Denso OE radiator; not much wiggle room there....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had my 2000 E430 radiator replaced with BEHR(made in Germany) which is OEM without Tri-Star logo couple months ago. Including upper hose, 1.5 gallon Zerex G-05 and labor the total cost was around $400.
I sell behr and have never seen one made in germany. always from south africa. the denso may not have been available so they got an aftermarket

To the OP-

Great advice!

When you made your request did you say you were willing to pay the difference if the Denso part cost more? I agree the shop was wrong to install a different rad without talking to you first, but I wonder if it was a case of them not wanting to haggle with you over the more expensive Denso rad so they just installed the cheaper one. Either way it was wrong.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I sell behr and have never seen one made in germany. always from south africa. the denso may not have been available so they got an aftermarket

The original radiator was Behr, the replaced radiator was Behr and looks identical to the original without Tri-Star logo, and it clearly stamped with made in Germany on the radiator and on the box too.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
To the OP-

Great advice!

I always buy parts and have my shop install it, the labor cost is the same if I bring in the parts or not. Of the parts I needed in replacing the radiator I brought with me the hose and coolant, this time they get the radiator cheaper than I can get online so I let them get it.

To the OP-

Great advice!

I thought of this BUT I realize that many shops (and probably the one I am referring to) probably prefer to source and install what they service and sell taking third parties out of the equation if there are failures with a product.

Just more information the Denso aftermarket radiator for my car "DENSO first time fit" OE aftermarket model is according to their retail price list about 78$. So if you add a 50% mark up it would be 130 bucks give or take.

Last edited:
To the OP-

Great advice!

Yes, THIS is what I do, as it leaves NO room for choice on their part, and then I inspect it to make sure it was installed, and not just kept for sale, with a cheapo Sino part installed in it's place!

To the OP-

Great advice!

I thought of this BUT I realize that many shops (and probably the one I am referring to) probably prefer to source and install what they service and sell taking third parties out of the equation if there are failures with a product.

They don't care about that, because if a customer supplied part fails they get paid to do it again. They may care about losing the little bit of mark up on parts they sale though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back