Kreen Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
When playing with elastomers and solvents, stuff can look great for days, weeks, and months in a jar, but we want our engines to be functional for decades.

If there is going to be any changes they will show up quickly in the solvent.
Put motor oil on brake system rubber and see how long that takes to swell it up, not months or weeks.

That's like anyphalactic shock...clear, obvious, and here and now.

The failure to suddenly display symptoms does not mean that things are compatible.

Marginally compatible ingredients and materials will take days and months, and sometimes years to demonstrate a reduced lifespan of the elastomers.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its great you got good results but i would still like to soak something made of Buna N in Kreen for a while before subjecting seals to it.
It could well be that the chemicals flash off quickly enough that it doesn't have long enough to have much of an effect on them.
I think it would be prudent to wait a while so some testing can be done on the seal material.

I doubt if anyone is going to do a long term test of Kreen on the Buna N material if only BMW used it. Does BMW still use the material?

On a side note, does anyone know of White Shepherd Oil stop leak? This a seal sweller to reduce rubeber gasket leakage.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's like anyphalactic shock...clear, obvious, and here and now.

The failure to suddenly display symptoms does not mean that things are compatible.

Marginally compatible ingredients and materials will take days and months, and sometimes years to demonstrate a reduced lifespan of the elastomers.

I understand. However how can an individual ever be sure a product is safe to use?

Agreed but taking into account that putting in a jar of the product it is in 100% of the chemicals not 16 ounces diluted in 5 qts of motor oil.
All i am saying is after 6 months in pure product if there is no dimensional change or noticeable change in pliability then one could assume it is relativity safe.
Hey maybe i'm thinking this the wrong way, how would you do it?
Originally Posted By: Russel
I doubt if anyone is going to do a long term test of Kreen on the Buna N material if only BMW used it. Does BMW still use the material?

There is still some stuff around made from Buna N, cheap hardware store o rings and such.
I just may throw some in Kreen this week if i can verify they them to be Buna N just to see what happens.
I had some valve, crank, cam, injector o rings, fuel hose and diff seals sitting in the stuff anywhere from a few months to 2 years with no noticeable change in dimension or pliability.

I had some valve, crank, cam, injector o rings, fuel hose and diff seals sitting in the stuff anywhere from a few months to 2 years with no noticeable change in dimension or pliability.

Thanks for this info, Trav!
thumbsup2.gif

There is still some stuff around made from Buna N, cheap hardware store o rings and such.
I just may throw some in Kreen this week if i can verify they them to be Buna N just to see what happens.
I had some valve, crank, cam, injector o rings, fuel hose and diff seals sitting in the stuff anywhere from a few months to 2 years with no noticeable change in dimension or pliability. [/quote]

Keep us posted on the results from your experiment. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: gibsonzero
little update:

since the kreen treatment i took my first out of town trip.(one that I do often). usually this burns two quarts or so and I have to fill it when I get back. This trip is only 160 miles total but i guess the prolonged highway driving really got to it before.

I am on kreen treatment 1 and am currently at 700 miles. That trip this time around did not burn a drop. I felt as if this trip was going to be the real test for the car and it passed. Driving up to MA this weekend and do not have any doubt that my corolla will perform. Gonna run the kreen treatment in my brothers cougar as well. he's got about 150,000 on it so I am sure the car has some varnish or something to be cleaned given that I know the previous own before my brother did a not so good job. I guess i will update that case too when the time comes.

ok another update:

so I had been driving without much burn at all. I reached 950 mile mark and realized that I had a 240 mile trip planned to Massachusetts. I decided to try and go through the trip without the second kreen treatment. I figured that a few hundred miles over wouldn't be so bad. Well I had done a little more driving within that trip and I looked at my oil and I was down 2 quarts and about at 1240 miles since the first treatment. I sucked it up and capped it off and also put in the 2nd treatment.

at the moment I am at about 1260 and my 3rd treatment will be going in about 900-1000 miles.

questions:

was that 200 miles over the treatment interval the cause of my 2 quart loss?

seems like prolonged travel makes me burn. This trip to MA was my longest in a while. Will I always burn oil for long day trips? or will well timed kreen treatments alleviate this fully?

Should I have my oil filter checked or anything?

my oil usage even with that trip improved a great deal. I do not think that my car would have even made it to 940 miles if there wasnt a kreen treatment.

I hope that with this kreen treatment that my usage improves more. Ideally the 3rd treatment I would like to be the last one. I had 2 quarts which is 4 treatments. right now I have 1 quart left. kreen is great and I would def buy it to supplement it with my oil but I hope this doesn't turn into a must have for all oil changes. *fingers crossed*

Down 2 qts of oil is a lot, I'd check it more often especially with Kreen in the sump. Have you looked at your valve stem seals? If they are bad Kreen is not going to reduce your oil consumption.

I mean the oil consumption definitely went down with the first treatment. I used to loss 2 quarts after 400-500 miles. And that's with light highway driving(back and forth to work only).

Umm I will look into locating them on my corolla(2001).

How would they look if they are bad? Yea, my knowledge is limited when it comes to under the hood and I am sorry.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Down 2 qts of oil is a lot, I'd check it more often especially with Kreen in the sump. Have you looked at your valve stem seals? If they are bad Kreen is not going to reduce your oil consumption.

^^^Do the cams and lifters have to come out in order for him to check the seals, or can he use a powerful light and look around/past everything for an inspection??

gibsonzero, you will not need to continually treat with Kreen. I do recommend an oil filter change at the least.

One or two treatments should give a noticeable change, so replace oil/filter and drive that puppy a bit on some good quality oil.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
gibsonzero, you will not need to continually treat with Kreen. I do recommend an oil filter change at the least.

One or two treatments should give a noticeable change, so replace oil/filter and drive that puppy a bit on some good quality oil.

^Yes, change that filter at least and eventually get the kreen out, fresh oil time soon.

Ok so on my OCI I have about 1300 now. Just put in kreen treatment 2 like at a little over 1200. The filter has not been changed since the start of the treatment. Should I replace the filter now even though I just put kreen treatment 2 in? A filter replacement would require me to drain everything right?

also in regards to filters. I read that to help oil consumption, I should get an extra long filter and go 10w30. I would like to consider doing that the next time I get a real oil change(not capping off from burnage. Thoughts?

Last edited:
A filter replacement would require me to drain everything right?

I am not familiar with your car, but NO, you usually do not have to drain the whole sump to change just the filter.

I am going to change the filter only (and top up with Mobil 1 HM) 3 times with discounted, Advance Auto-bought Pure One filters (@ $5.00/each) during this Kreen cycle alone!!

Trav,

Most of the o-ring set that I come across either does not mention the material or "proudly" claims to be Buna N! I have seen the green Viton o-rings for air-conditioning. Where would I find a o-ring set which would be useful in automotive applications i.e. for oil/fuel etc?

^Bookmarked!

and...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
A filter replacement would require me to drain everything right?

I am not familiar with your car, but NO, you usually do not have to drain the whole sump to change just the filter.

I am going to change the filter only (and top up with Mobil 1 HM) 3 times with discounted, Advance Auto-bought Pure One filters (@ $5.00/each) during this Kreen cycle alone!!

^This.

See where the oil filter is located, park the car overnight in the position you'd typically change the oil filter(so that most oil won't rush out of the filter during 'cold' removal, the idea is not to remove the filter when recently ran in order to minimize loss).

That's it, then just remove the filter and have a new one ready. Check your oil level after.

Yes, change your filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back