Amsoil EAO17 versus Royal Purple 20-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very curious about the origins of Amsoil's newly revised EAO oil filters. The newly released EAO17 suggest that it's built by Champion Labs, however, there is no listing on Champion's site suggesting this. Take a look at the pictures I took comparing both filters.

The print on the top of both cans are identical, other than the top "serial/batch/tracking number".
a285d145.jpg

The cans themselves both look and feel identical.
904c527d.jpg

7b21d552.jpg

The bypass plate is identical, with the exception that Amsoil's version is zinc plated for extended shelf life rust prevention. You should also note that the anti-drain back valve is the same, with the exception of color. Material could possibly be different, but unless I cut both open, there is no way to know.
2d2f3db4.jpg

Amsoil's bypass valve and center metal can is identical to the Royal Purple 20-500 as well.

Amsoil EAO17
748af87a.jpg

Royal Purple 20-500
aa671814.jpg

Royal Purple also has micro glass (i.e. nano-fiber) media inside with wire backing, just like Amsoil. *This is not a 20-500 filter - different base plate*
c0ea8486.jpg

I'm convinced that Amsoil's EAO17 is built by Champion, however....more evidence is required to confirm it.

Anyone have a clue?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'd agree that certainly appears to be the case. great pix!

Thank you sir, just trying to support the community that supported me when I had a many questions.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You are most likely correct.

Pablo, if I am correct....

Why the secret? Champion doesn't advertise Amsoil as a customer, nor have I heard anyone from Amsoil mention Champion labs is building the revised EAO oil filters.

The new filters also are no longer in shrink clear wrapping. They are packaged in loose plastic wrap where the excess opening area is shoved and tucking into the filter thread.

Last edited:
Perhaps a non-disclosure agreement. Not sure. Amsoil never says who makes their filters. But we know WIX, Donaldson, Clarcor (Baldwin/Hastings), and now Champion have historically and currently make various filters for Amsoil.

What I still want to know is why some of the Wix filters failed.

Remind me of this. You referring to Amsoil filters manufactured by WIX that failed? What happened exactly?

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast

Remind me of this. You referring to Amsoil filters manufactured by WIX that failed? What happened exactly?

Yes. Some, and I mean a very FEW did get blocked and yet did not allow full flow in bypass. A few also somehow digested the ADBV.

I noticed something other than the can was different when I just got a new EA011. Never seen a bypass valve like that before since I've never actually looked at a RP filter.

the canned shot of the RP---wire backed media--? I've never dissected one, but it looks like fiberglass wire backed in the pic-not steel wire wire backed

I doubt Amsoil has their own oil filter factory ... they may farm out all their filter, so at least some of them. This Ea017 sure looks this way.

Champ is making the Amsoil line now as some on here have suspected. There will still be many in the field that aren't Champ produced, but going forward they are.

Champ may not recognize this for a few reasons. First, Champ is the largest private label manufacturer out there. Many of their customers do not want it known and Champ has no reason to disclose. Second, they just recently obtained the line so it hasn't been a Champ product for a long time. Third, Champ doesn't always cover the specifics (tech info) on the filters (from a support to the public standpoint) and it's easier to push those questions back to the nameplate to handle them.

The major differences as laid out here already are the zinc coated back plate and color of the silicon AD valve.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I doubt Amsoil has their own oil filter factory ... they may farm out all their filter, so at least some of them. This Ea017 sure looks this way.

Amsoil has always outsourced their filters, that is not a mystery. The mystery is, this is obviously a Champion Labs filter, however...no mention anywhere as to written, or posted evidence.

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Champ is making the Amsoil line now as some on here have suspected. There will still be many in the field that aren't Champ produced, but going forward they are.

Champ may not recognize this for a few reasons. First, Champ is the largest private label manufacturer out there. Many of their customers do not want it known and Champ has no reason to disclose. Second, they just recently obtained the line so it hasn't been a Champ product for a long time. Third, Champ doesn't always cover the specifics (tech info) on the filters (from a support to the public standpoint) and it's easier to push those questions back to the nameplate to handle them.

The major differences as laid out here already are the zinc coated back plate and color of the silicon AD valve.

A non-disclosure statement sounds about right here. You are correct, the new EAO filters from Amsoil haven't been under the new supplier very long. This was a recent change the past summer.

I'm most curious to know if the filter media is exactly the same, or different. Royal Purple does not discuss their version being capable of extended use as Amsoil does. This may, or may not, reflect that a different version of media is being used, i.e. denser.

Amsoil has always outsourced their filters, that is not a mystery. The mystery is, this is obviously a Champion Labs filter, however...no mention anywhere as to written, or posted evidence.

Does Amsoil disclose who makes any of their filters? This may not be anything new for them not to say who makes which filters for them.

Based on the visual evidence shown, seems a safe bet that Champ is the manufacturer of both filters.

Could well be an individual application thing though, but this application, little doubt.

Thanks for the pics.

Does Amsoil disclose who makes any of their filters? This may not be anything new for them not to say who makes which filters for them.

Nope, that's always been a secret. I think we have enough evidence here to know that the new line of filters are manufactured by Champion Labs.

I'd like to know the subtle differences in the filter pictured, if any, myself...but really both are about the same priced and even if the same product in the end(literally speaking aside from color/label) I'd buy whichever was better priced or more my taste if different.
thumbsup2.gif

What am I missing here? If Amsoil puts their name on it, then they back it and its made to their specs and no doubt they do random quality analysis, so do I care if they are made by Champion or in the back of Joe's barber shop by Vito, Joe's brother?

I personally think they are top notch filters and use them when I have one in my stash and I think I even have an Amsoil pre-Ea filter in my stash.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think I even have an Amsoil pre-Ea filter in my stash.

That filter doesn't utilize nano-fiber media.

True, its for my Mercrusier engine. Its still better than almost all other filters on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back