Schaeffer Recalls Drum of Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting one of our units at my workplace that buys Schaeffer oil in 55 gallon drums. Sitting in the barn was a new drum (November 2011) with the bung pump pulled out. When I asked what was going on, the employee said that the Schaeffer rep told them that "they tested the batch and it did not meet their specs". So, they are replacing the drum with a new one and crediting them for the amount used (only 10 gallons). The oil was 7000 series 15W40. The employee didn't know anything else.

Kudos for Schaeffer addressing the problem. But, at the same time it is upsetting that it missed their quality control in the first place.

Makes me wonder how much this happens in the industry and if other companies look the other way.

FYI, I didn't confirm this story with management, but will follow up if it is different.

You should have pumped a bunch of free oil out of that thing. It had to at least be serviceable in a lawnmower or beater.

Had to be seriously screwed up,for them to go to that extreme...and not to say what went wrong.Sounds like they dont want any warranty issues.Remember back in 1980 when Quaker State left out the wear additives and had to recall tens of thousands of quarts of oil? That started their 150,000 mile (or something close to it) warranty to restore faith in the product.

Yeah....Quaker State had left out the anti-oxidant additive package, all was well on a hot summer trip but when the oil cooled it turned into a pan full of lard. Just set up like lard or butter. The next time the vehicle was used this lard would not pick up in the oil pump and engine failure soon followed.

The good news (sort of) was that this failure was so catastrophic that it was easy to diagnose and prove and Quaker State did do an excellent job of getting those engines fixed for their owners...... one was a friend of mine.

No, you would not want to use that oil even in your lawnmower.

Quote:
When I asked what was going on, the employee said that the Schaeffer rep told them that "they tested the batch and it did not meet their specs". So, they are replacing the drum with a new one and crediting them for the amount used (only 10 gallons). The oil was 7000 series 15W40. The employee didn't know anything else.

Any number of things could have happened.

Batches are mixed and then tested. Sometimes the lab doesn't get the analysis finished before the batch goes out for filling.

It doesn't happen very often, but in rare cases the mixing valves may get stuck or the computer sends out the wrong signals.

But it is a credit to Schaeffer's that they are correting the situation.

Too bad you couldn't have sampled it for testing to see what the problem was.

Quote:
Quaker State had left out the anti-oxidant additive package, all was well on a hot summer trip but when the oil cooled it turned into a pan full of lard.

Sounds like more than just an oxidation inhibitor package problem.

Thats the third or forth different thing Ive heard regarding the QS mistake.
This is whay Johnny has to say about it: Linky!

{OT}Dang am I good at searching! Took me 5 minutes to pull the physical post up through the search based off my memory of it. Search works if you know how to work it!{/OT}

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back