NITR....5

PHYSICAL

VIS CST.....11.48

TBN..........7.50

Fuel..........NEG

Water.........NEG

Anti-freeze...NEG

Link to PDS

I received an e-mail from Petro-Canada today in response to my request for Calcium and Boron numbers for this product. Typical median for Ca is 2110 and B is 230. I was also given the numbers for the other additives and found that Mo is typical, P is a little above average and Zn is below average but well within their limits. These numbers were provided and I compared to mine, I did not supply any of my results.

Great company, they have been very forthcoming with numbers any time I have asked, and a decent oil, especially at the price.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Visc is higher than most N. American xw30, looks kind of like a Euro low SAPS oil.

Yes it is a bit heavier with is HTHSV of 3.2cP although that is offset during cold starts by it's 177 VI.

As an aside, I wish Toromont dida KV40 test so we could confirm the 177 VI.
I acquired a couple of prepaid Toromont kits but as far as I know you can't even pay extra for the KV40 test like with everyone else.

If you want to see the 'rest' of the add-pack for the oil, just look at the full VOA for the PC 5W-30 that PQIA did:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

Many of the specs between PC conventional oils and syn oils are the same, so I think it's pretty safe to say the add-packs are the exact same - TBN is the same, moly count is the exact same...so the rest of the add-pack is most likely the same.

No matter what the specs, I think the area PC oils really shine is in their cold-weather performance - you won't find many oils that work better in extreme cold than this one.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

No matter what the specs, I think the area PC oils really shine is in their cold-weather performance - you won't find many oils that work better in extreme cold than this one.

With a MRV of 24,800cP @ -40 degrees it's not bad but not great.
We can't get M1 0W-30 but it's a much lighter oil (HTHSV 3.0cP) with it's 13,250cP MRV.
I believe PC Duron 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.3cP) is better with a MRV of 17,456cP.
Then there's Esso XD-3 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.5cP) that has a MRV of 14,900cP.

SN is a version of the oil?
Originally Posted By: addyguy
TBN is the same

In SN version TBN is not the same, add pack is different in supreme and in synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Yes, this is SN/GF-5.

While maybe not identical, the add packs do seem to be very similar from what we see in an analysis and TBN is very close with Supreme at 7.7 and Supreme Synthetic at 7.9, according to PDS.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Yes it is a bit heavier with is HTHSV of 3.2cP although that is offset during cold starts by it's 177 VI.

Were did you get this HTHS information? In TDS no data...

sorry for my english

I don't konw where Caterham got it but I emailed Petro-Canada and they told me the HTHS of all the Supreme Synthetic grades. As I said they have been very good in providing technical information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back