Pareto Top Dog V Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quick install of a Pareto Top Dog V bypass filter on a 2009 Ford Focus. I've created my own systems in the past, but this time I wanted something that was already engineered and would be much easier to install.

I'm very impressed with this kit. Here is the mounting bracket that comes with the kit for the filter base
IMG_0244.jpg

I looked all over for a place under the hood to install the setup. I wanted something I could get to without having to crawl under the car. I simply couldn't find a spot. You MAY be able to install it behind the grill, but it would require you to cut a hole in the top of the grill or remove it every time you want to change the filter. Not a great setup.

In the drive side front bumper in front of the wheel well there is a perfect spot. There is already a hole in this area you can use for one of the mounting bracket holes
IMG_0245.jpg

All you have to do is measure the distance between the holes on the mounting bracket
IMG_0246.jpg

And drill it out
IMG_0248.jpg

The spot works very well
IMG_0250.jpg

This is the orientation I used for the mounting bracket and the filter base. It gives the maximum distance between the filter and the air [censored].
IMG_0252.jpg

Installed the nipples for the hoses
IMG_0253.jpg

and the oil lines, making sure to note the inlet and outlet of the base
IMG_0253.jpg

the base installed in the driver wheel well behind the bumper
IMG_0257.jpg

The adapter is another high quality unit. With the nipples installed and pre-oiled, ready for install.
IMG_0264.jpg

Spin the factory off and install the adapter
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

filter installed, ready to route lines
IMG_0270.jpg

lines routed and ready to go
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Sure gives a lot more filtration media...
IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Pre-filled both filters with oil, and filled the car up with oil. Took it for a quick drive and checked for leaks - found none!
IMG_0279.jpg

The factory filter was hot, and the input line was hot.. But the bypass filter wasn't hot. I'm going to drive it tomorrow for a little over 60 miles back from work, and I'll check it again to see if it has warmed up. Really easy install and so far I'm impressed with the quality of this product!

wow!, really nice set-up/install.

This has really got my attention...can anyone comment on the differences/benefits/advantages of the return oil not going to the sump like the Amsoil bypass systems?

I wanna set this up on a vehicle in the future, im all about extreme anal-retentive oil filtration and extended OCIs!

calm down....calm down...

I have 2 myself, no leaks. Does yours have magnets? Nice pictures. Mine seems to work great. Im using rotella T6. What oil are you running? Looks like M1.

Hmm, what about combining Dog Axis adapter and dual TransDapt remote filter base?
Not bypass, but you get 3 regular(cheaper and larger oil capacity) filters.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

This has really got my attention...can anyone comment on the differences/benefits/advantages of the return oil not going to the sump like the Amsoil bypass systems?

I wanna set this up on a vehicle in the future, im all about extreme anal-retentive oil filtration and extended OCIs!

I really liked the simplicity of the system. From what I can tell, the oil pan on this car is a cast aluminum unit.. I'm not sure punching a hole in it would have been very easy. I have another setup on my pickup that returns to the oil cap, and that may have worked on this setup also, but part of what really attracted me to this setup was the easy of install.

If you look close at the picture with the adapter, new filter, and cap of oil you can kind of see the oil passages. The system is designed to return the oil to the same place as the cleaned oil coming out of the factory filter. Very smart design in my opinion!

I'm not sure how well the system is flowing though. Last night after a short drive the factory filter was extremely warm to the touch, but the bypass filter was ice cold. I'll report back after my 60 mile drive home tonight on if it is still cold.

Originally Posted By: md_lucky_13
Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

I really liked the simplicity of the system. From what I can tell, the oil pan on this car is a cast aluminum unit.. I'm not sure punching a hole in it would have been very easy. I have another setup on my pickup that returns to the oil cap, and that may have worked on this setup also, but part of what really attracted me to this setup was the easy of install.

If you look close at the picture with the adapter, new filter, and cap of oil you can kind of see the oil passages. The system is designed to return the oil to the same place as the cleaned oil coming out of the factory filter. Very smart design in my opinion!

I'm not sure how well the system is flowing though. Last night after a short drive the factory filter was extremely warm to the touch, but the bypass filter was ice cold. I'll report back after my 60 mile drive home tonight on if it is still cold.

Hope you went to the correct ports in both ends.

Yup! Happy to report that everything seems to be working as designed.

The bypass filter was warm to the touch tonight after my drive home from work.

Next, I plan on an analysis at around 9k miles to see how it is all doing.
smile.gif

Do you have clearance for the full flow filter with the bottom splash guard? I run a FL400s on my wifes Mazda 3I(same car)and it rubs slightly on the guard. since it's about an inch longer than the stock filter.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Do you have clearance for the full flow filter with the bottom splash guard? I run a FL400s on my wifes Mazda 3I(same car)and it rubs slightly on the guard. since it's about an inch longer than the stock filter.

I do actually. I'm thinking the splash guard must be different between the focus and the mazda. In this picture, you can see the full flow filter at the top left of the picture and the distance between it and the splash guard:
IMG_0274.jpg

Have you tried a Wix 51085? The threads are correct, the bypass is correct, but the OD diameter of the gasket is slightly larger (ID is very close). It is just a TOUCH longer, but is quite a bit "fatter."

I was considering one on the next change..

Yah, that's good advice, I think I'm gonna switch to a 51085 or 51307 next OCI. My wife has the bad habit of pulling up on to parking lot curbs. Or even a truck retread in the middle of the road could even cause a problem.

P.S. The bottom splash guard area is definitely different, much more room on your car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back