2011 BMW X3 9600 miles of FF of 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had given a friend of mine a sample bottle awhile back and he recently made use of it in taking a sample of the FF for a 9 month OCI of almost 10k miles on his X3.

(In that time period he estimated only about a third of a litre of consumption. He did not top up)

Code:

Lab BStone

Vehicle 2011 BMW X3

Oil BMW High Performance 5W30

Filter OEM

Total Miles 9600 miles

Miles on oil 9600 miles over 9 months (March 2011 to December 2011)

Aluminum....... 24

Chromium....... 2

Iron........... 91

Copper......... 13

Lead........... 0

Tin............ 2

Moly........... 279

Nickel......... 1

Manganese...... 13

Silver......... 0

Titanium....... 0

Potassium...... 10

Boron.......... 45

Silicon........ 17

Sodium......... 6

Calcium........ 2739

Magnesium...... 25

Phosphorus..... 636

Zinc........... 649

Barium......... 0

Flashpoint..... 380

Fuel...........
Antifreeze..... 0

Water.......... 0

Insoluables.... 0.4

SUS Visc@210f.. 57.7

cST Visc@100c.. 9.57

TBN............ 1.7

Not bad for the FF. TBN getting down towards to bottom but still good.

What's the recommended interval for this beast? 10k? or 15k?

21Rouge thanks for posting this.

Assuming the FF has a virgin KV100 of 12cSt the FF has lost 20% of it's viscosity or it wasn't that high in the first place.
I also find it interesting that the phosphorus level is only 636 ppm.

This oil looks like any typical OTC 5W-30 syn'.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

That's about normal for this BMW (Castrol) 5w-30 oil.

Quote:

Except that most typical OTC 5w-30 oils don't have HT/HS of above 3.5 cP.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

That's about normal for this BMW (Castrol) 5w-30 oil.
Quote:

Except that most typical OTC 5w-30 oils don't have HT/HS of above 3.5 cP.

I always thought the P level was around 850 ppm as in the following BMW 5W-30 UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...892#Post2222892
But I can tell you I'm going to stop adding some RL Break-In Additive to the light oil I run in my Bimmer to boost the P level of typical SM/SN oils. Obviously it's not necessary.

Yes the virgin HTHSV is 3.5cP but the BMW oil shears virtually as you pour it into the engine. If the HTHSV was tested of this used FF after 20% viscosity loss I'm certain the HTHSV is no higher than 2.9-3.1cP max. Of course if you're going to start with a 3.1cP 5W-30 oil you'll likely wind up running a somewhat lighter oil than FF but I'd say by no more than 0.1-0.2cP.
But honestly we're splitting hairs here.

The percent drop in HTHS has been found in multiple studies to be roughly 1/2 the percent drop in KV at 100C. So if this virgin oil had KV at 100C of 12.0 cSt and HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP, that relation predicts this used oil had a HTHS viscosity of 3.15 cP.

We ordered 4 cases of BMW synthetic the other day, and I noticed its API SL formula. No update? Or if it works why change it? Not BMW like IMO.

Originally Posted By: Audios
We ordered 4 cases of BMW synthetic the other day, and I noticed its API SL formula. No update? Or if it works why change it? Not BMW like IMO.

It's the same issue as with GC 0w-30. API SN/SM has imposed stricter limits on additives on Xw-30 grades. These oils (BMW 5w-30, GC 0w-30) have fairly rich add packs to cope with the extended drain intervals required by BMW LL01 spec. If they were to be reformulated to meet API SM/SN, they may have a tough time holding up in such long drain intervals.

And in terms of wear, sludge, piston deposits, and oxidative thickening limits, LL01 is still better than API SM, so gaining the latest API certification gets you nothing.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
O, ZERO lead in the first 9600miles? BMW must have some Rod and main bearings in that engine that are TOUGH!

or they're bi-metal bearings instead of tri-metal...

bi-metal bearings usually don't contain lead...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Audios

It's the same issue as with GC 0w-30. API SN/SM has imposed stricter limits on additives on Xw-30 grades. These oils (BMW 5w-30, GC 0w-30) have fairly rich add packs to cope with the extended drain intervals required by BMW LL01 spec. If they were to be reformulated to meet API SM/SN, they may have a tough time holding up in such long drain intervals.

And in terms of wear, sludge, piston deposits, and oxidative thickening limits, LL01 is still better than API SM, so gaining the latest API certification gets you nothing.

Thanks Pete, Ill feel better about using it in other applications where a 5/30 syn is called for. We actually get it a little cheaper than M1. Also makes me feel better about the M1 5w20 SL formula I found in my garage from the previous owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back