PH4967- Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 91 Celica it was in use for about 5k miles. Held up for a OCOD and it was given to me for free so I thought I'd use it and see how it looked inside.

2012-01-04180034.jpg

2012-01-04181242.jpg

2012-01-04181305.jpg

2012-01-04181323.jpg

2012-01-04181416.jpg

2012-01-04181431.jpg

One thing I did notice was with the first start up of the day the engine sounded horrible.

That is one of the better pics of that filter, usually I see horrible pleat distortion, paper end caps pulling away and ect. So that one seem to work fine.

Originally Posted By: cp3
WOW! Two nice Fram Extra Guards in a row! Maybe this is going to be the year of the orange can!

Thanx for posting.

Neah, It a year of Black Dragon. So use Black Asian filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Just curious-what's the big black glob right by the bypass? Piece of media or sludge?
Looks like crums/crude/sludge to me

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
One thing I did notice was with the first start up of the day the engine sounded horrible.

Probably a leaky ADBV.

Lots of threads with cut open filters in the last couple days ... everyone must have changed oil last weekend.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Just curious-what's the big black glob right by the bypass? Piece of media or sludge?
Looks like crums/crude/sludge to me

I think it was sludge

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 5sfe91

Probably a leaky ADBV.

Lots of threads with cut open filters in the last couple days ... everyone must have changed oil last weekend.
smile.gif

I have a purolator on now and it doesnt make anymore noise at the first start up so it probably was the ADBV

I used OCODs in the early 90s before I knew better and it would make a startup rattle. This was on a Honda Civic. After a oil change or 2 of that, I went back to OEM and that solved the rattle issue.

Nice looking filter! As long as Fram can keep their pleats tight and even I'm a fan. I don't mind the construction/concept at all.

Free or not, if it caused noise at startup (which is when most of the wear is occurring) then I would have swapped it out.

Fram has had problems in the past with basic quality and quality control.

We certainly do not see enough FRAM filters on BITOG to determine if anything has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back