The WAR: Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 VS GC 0W30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I realize that but the Valvoline (unlike Mobil 1 ESP) has formal VW approval for this application. Not recommended, but approved.

Which spec are we talking about here? 502.00? 504.00?

Valvoline 5W-40(both kinds)are VW 502.00 approved
Valvoline

Mobil 1 ESP " According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level.. 502.00"

"Unless you bought the Valvoline 5W-40 by the barrel (only size HST is available in), you bought another low-SAPS M1 ESP equivalent".

I realize that but the Valvoline (unlike Mobil 1 ESP) has formal VW approval for this application (502.00). Not recommended, but approved by VW which is good enough for me. I have used it for 10,000 miles OCI and cars running great..and no worries.

And MB was using M1 ESP for a period of time as dealer service-fill across all engines.. until they realized the NA fuel impact. I never understand why people in this forum insist on putting themselves in these situations when cheap and readily available oils like GC and M1 0W-40 exist.

Last edited:
Come on guy. ESP is at Pep Boys for crying out loud, and has been on sale before at a competitive price. In fact when it first came out you could get it during Pep Boys at regular M1 sale prices.

MB dealers used it. Mobil says it meets the requirements. I called Mobil and they said use it with no concern. Until information came out from uoa's, who was to know?

Oh Of course you did way before anyone else. Thanks for sharing.

Come on guy. ESP is at Pep Boys for crying out loud, and has been on sale before at a competitive price. In fact when it first came out you could get it during Pep Boys at regular M1 sale prices.

MB dealers used it. Mobil says it meets the requirements. I called Mobil and they said use it with no concern. Until information came out from uoa's, who was to know?

I've done the UOAs. Poor TBN retention - wear metals look ok but I changed at 5k at 1.5-1.8 TBN.

I want to be able to run it, but until we get ULSG, it's a nogo more than 3k OCIs.

JHZR2 I appreciate your posting of the UOA. That confirmed what many suspected regarding this oil and our gas. That is why I am using it for 5,000 miles..rather than throwing it out or mixing.

I've done the UOAs on Castrol's equivalent SLX Professional OE 5W30 on a diesel. TBN retention is terrible, metal numbers are very bad as well.
I won't use the stuff under any circumstances.

Charlie

You're missing the point. Why bother with low-SAPS oils like Valvoline MST when M1 0W-40 and GC go on sale as frequently as they do. You seem to realize now that M1 ESP is no good in gasoline application in NA.. great. Valvoline MST is in the same boat.. all the low-SAPS oils are, when used in non-diesel apps here.

Is there a reason you're bent on using low-SAPS oils in your gasoline engine.

Stick to 0W-40 and GC. Anything else either doesn't work, or is a waste of money because it isn't readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Is there a reason you're bent on using low-SAPS oils in your gasoline engine.

I wanted to run it in our 08 VW because it is an A3 rated 30wt oil that meets the latest VW spec. The thought was that it would offer slightly better economy over GC or M1 0w-40. I think it did that. For me it was just the TBN issue.

Stick to 0W-40 and GC. Anything else either doesn't work, or is a waste of money because it isn't readily available.

I think you're exaggerating a little. There are deals/rebates occasionally out there that make oils like the Synpower 5w-40 very attractive, even if you only run it at 5K mile intervals due to US gasoline sulfur issues.

Let's face it, as much as we talk about 10K+ mile OCIs, not too many people actually do it, so they don't need an oil that can last that long.

I think you're exaggerating a little. There are deals/rebates occasionally out there that make oils like the Synpower 5w-40 very attractive, even if you only run it at 5K mile intervals due to US gasoline sulfur issues.

Let's face it, as much as we talk about 10K+ mile OCIs, not too many people actually do it, so they don't need an oil that can last that long.

Do chains other than Napa carry Valvoline MST? And does it ever go on sale cheaper than M1 or Castrol, cheap enough to offset the 5k interval? M1 and Castrol Syntec are on sale for dirt cheap often these days.

People don't do at least 10k intervals?

Do chains other than Napa carry Valvoline MST? And does it ever go on sale cheaper than M1 or Castrol, cheap enough to offset the 5k interval? M1 and Castrol Syntec are on sale for dirt cheap often these days.

Amazon sells Synpower 5w-40. With the recent promotion they were running, you could have gotten it for as little as $7 per 6 quarts after rebate. That's $1.16/quart.

Quote:

Just look at the UOA section. How many 10K+ ones do you see there? Not that many.

Happy Thanksgiving....
The next series of C oils, the CKs, will be a lot like these ACEA C3 oils, with TBNs in the 5-6.5 range. Then we will see some fireworks with truckers forced down to 10-15K OCIs etc, down from 25-50K.
Meanwhile, I'll keep using my TBN 16 Delvac 1 SHC in my nonEGR Unimog and TBN 12.6 Delvac 1 LE in the BMW diesel.
You'll see a rush to disconnect emission systems in "easier" jurisdictions and a demand for "legacy" oils.

Charlie

Amazon sells Synpower 5w-40. With the recent promotion they were running, you could have gotten it for as little as $7 per 6 quarts after rebate. That's $1.16/quart.

If tenderloin got it that cheap it's totally worth it.

Too bad people don't do 10-12k intervals. Ends up being pretty cheap when you get the M1 or GC for the typical $4-5/qt, and these oils can easily do 10k with ease in most engines.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Happy Thanksgiving....
The next series of C oils, the CKs, will be a lot like these ACEA C3 oils, with TBNs in the 5-6.5 range. Then we will see some fireworks with truckers forced down to 10-15K OCIs etc, down from 25-50K.

You'll see a rush to disconnect emission systems in "easier" jurisdictions and a demand for "legacy" oils.

Charlie

Then maybe we'll see a growth in the market for TBN-enhancing additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back