Which 0W30 HDEO is thinnest when cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petro Canada Duron-XL syn blend 0W-30, or the full-syn Duron 0W-30...they are pretty close in spec, and will have the best cold-weather numbers by far.

If you're talking extreme cold then I would rely on the MRV spec' and I believe the PAO based Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee Esso XD-3 0W-30) has the lowest viscosity at 14,000cP at -40 degrees.

That's lower than Delo 0w30 which is -11,000 at -40cSt Delo's VI is 190 and it's pour point is -60 degrees F. BTW, Delo 0w30 is 100% PAO..

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
That's lower than Delo 0w30 which is -11,000 at -40cSt Delo's VI is 190 and it's pour point is -60 degrees F. BTW, Delo 0w30 is 100% PAO..

The -40C cP isn't listed for Delo, so you really can't compare.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Chevrofreak,

Yes it is listed. Follow CHATERHAMS link and it's in the Technical Data Sheet pdf...

Technically Delo 0W30 is available but good luck getting it. Ditto for many of the other 0W30 HDEOs discussed here. You'll never find them on a store shelf and not even likely at many distributor's shelves unless he's up north and a pretty big outfit.
I dream about easy access and cheap prices on this stuff.

I guess the question to ask yourself is if you really need a "0w" or can you have success with a good quality 5w- PAO?

I ask because price and availabillity are always an issue in extreme environments. I would think that Amsoil, in particular, would perhaps be a good fit, if your temps are that extreme. Amsoil has a good network for delivery, so getting your hands on some isn't really hard to do, versus trying to find a "0w-30" on a shelf hundreds of kilometers away. Castrol also has a 5w-30 PAO.

If you don't "need" a 0w, then a 5w would likely suffice well. I realize that Manitoba can get brutally cold, but it really depends upon your own environement and use, etc.

If we knew more about the use, etc, you might be able to get a "better" answer. Using the "thinnest" might help in cold starts, but may not be as robust as full temp? How often are your start cycles? How long are the run times? Is this DI or IDI? Is it a critical equipment item (backup generator)? Etc etc.

Your initial question was "which is the thinnest?" Well, the one that has the lowest MRV is probably your best bet.

Question is, can you find the beast, or can you "settle" for something else that would work decently and be much easier to find and have a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Chevrofreak,

Yes it is listed. Follow CHATERHAMS link and it's in the Technical Data Sheet pdf...

That is cSt, which is different.

Look at Co-Op D-MO SL 0W40.
It is an excellent oil and although not the thinnest, could be used year round. Probably available in Manitoba.
http://www.wetaskiwincoop.com/Petroleum/PetroFacts/dmo_sl_advanced_specs.pdf
Though the 40C vis is wrong, it is not 57.8; perhaps 87.8 or even 97.8
But the pour point of -57C beats Delvac 1 ESP 5W40(-45C) and Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (-54C)
And unlike the Delo 400 0W30, it is CH4 and CI4+ rated, as well as MB 228.3, ACEA E5, etc.

Charlie

The oil will be used in a welder powered by an air cooled 23hp Kohler. I'm working on a pipeline all winter and being air cooled, I can't preheat the engine in any way. Just 1 start a day, everyday. I have already seen 0 degrees fahrenheit here this month, so much colder weather is certain. I have learned (from this site) that a HDEO is best for my engine.

Fwiw, I have found Delo 0W-30 locally, for $98 per case (3-4 qt jugs). Dealing with 1qt bottles is much more convenient though, so I'm still debating what to go with.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
For the Co-op D-Mo, I hope that sulfated ash number of 14.3 is a typo. Even 1.43 would be a lot!

It probably is. Coincidentally, I was just looking through some Co-op oil specifications, and there are some obvious typos, along with the fact that the product data sheets appear to be more out of date than those published by SOPUS.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I ask because price and availabillity are always an issue in extreme environments.

Depending upon his location in Manitoba, he should have pretty good luck with Co-op lubricants. Even if he's far away from a centre like Brandon or Winnipeg, a lot of the bulk dealers, particularly Co-op dealers, are very good about getting in whatever product you ask for.

In some of our small towns, whatever bulk dealers are available limits one's choices if one prefers not to travel for oil. I've lived in remote towns of under 1500 people, and in such conditions up here, we tend to see usually two bulk dealers, usually a Co-op and then one of either Petro Canada or Imperial Oil. Any of them should be able to provide him with a suitable, winter grade oil. Price is always the next question, of course.

Originally Posted By: atc250r
The oil will be used in a welder powered by an air cooled 23hp Kohler. I'm working on a pipeline all winter and being air cooled, I can't preheat the engine in any way. Just 1 start a day, everyday. I have already seen 0 degrees fahrenheit here this month, so much colder weather is certain. I have learned (from this site) that a HDEO is best for my engine.

Fwiw, I have found Delo 0W-30 locally, for $98 per case (3-4 qt jugs). Dealing with 1qt bottles is much more convenient though, so I'm still debating what to go with.

That helps us understand a bit more.

First of all, I don't know that I agree completely with the concept that HDEOs are "the best". They are excellent products, but they are not for all applications. They won't hurt, but they do NOT assure performance past some other great alternatives.

Given an air-cooled K motor on a welder, I'd actually suggest a good quality 5w-30 or 0w-30 PCMO in synthetic, group III or IV. There is no reason to believe you need a diesel oil here in this application. You can use one for sure, but for the challenges you're going to encounter, I'd say use a syn PCMO.

Here's why ...
The syn PCMO will certainly assure good start up. It will protect very well. It will respond well to both the brutal cold, and the long extended runs. And I would think you could find any PCMO syn on the shelf a LOT easier, and cheaper, than seeking out some unique, rare syn 0w rated HDEO syn.

A PCMO syn is going to be easier and cheaper to get, and still provide all the protection you'll ever need.

As a PCMO, what is your opinion of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20? Very easy to find, and appears to be the thinnest oil at room temperature by far. (shaking bottle test!) Is the ZPPD content sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back