$995.00 NOS Mopar Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm well on my way to riches... in 40 years!
13.gif

Is that a Fram-like textured coating on it? I thought Fram "invented" that! I guess they were at least the most successful in marketing it. Any idea who made the Mopar filters back then? I like the Mopar "M" stamped into the top of the can.

I guess if someone wants a concourse perfect restoration, maybe installing a $1000 oil filter adds more than $1000 to the resale value of the vehicle.

If you ask me, its insanity. Sometimes my Mopar brethren embarrass me. :p People do just go nuts over finding parts like this for the "perfect" restoration, and I've never understood it, but to each his own...

If having a really good restoration means having a filter like that, it would pay to find a new filter, strip the pain off, cover it with a similar finish, copy the text, and install that.

Where I think this filter would be best is to show it off next to a bunch of old oil cans.

I know someone who spent about $200+- for a NOS AC Delco oil filter for his 1969 Z28. He spent over $75,000 restoring a rust free car not counting the $40,000 or so he paid for the car. Some who restore these classic muscle cars are addicted to new old stock original parts and nothing else will satisfy them. I know John got on a plane and flew to the west coast to get some parts for his Z28. He says he has mostly all original parts his car would have left the assembly plant with, not replacements but original to the part numbers as much as he could possible get. He has a very successful auto repair business.

There used to be a elderly lady here who had a stash of old cars parts from the 20-50's and she told me a guy flew in from England once and spend a week to look for a certain parts he needed to complete a restoration.

Its only money!

Quote:
If having a really good restoration means having a filter like that, it would pay to find a new filter, strip the pain off, cover it with a similar finish, copy the text, and install that.

The experts at car shows would spot that a mile away and it would devalue the restoration in the minds of many. Better to have a Fram than trying to fool the expert judges at many car shows. People expect to get big money if the sell cars like that and if you fake stuff its like counterfeiting to those in the hobby. Find one fake part, assume all the car falsely represented. You go from a car worth maybe $100,000 to one being just a driver worth $10,000.

You have to be involved in the hobby to understand how seriously many are about everything be 100% correct and original.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1

You have to be involved in the hobby to understand how seriously many are about everything be 100% correct and original.

Not only that, you have to be involved in THAT ASPECT of the car hobby. To me, its insanity... but interesting insanity. For myself I'd much rather have a 90% original restoration, but with quality modern filters, electronic ignition, etc. so that the car is better than original. I don't care about the "correct" factory sloppy engine paint overspray on the exhaust manifolds, but some people invest hours and hours to get just the correct look. Right down to replicating assembly line inspection marks in chalk or dabs of brightly colored paint. It is interesting tor read about the research these guys do and to see the end product of one of their restorations. But for me... not thanks!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1

Not only that, you have to be involved in THAT ASPECT of the car hobby. To me, its insanity... but interesting insanity. For myself I'd much rather have a 90% original restoration, but with quality modern filters, electronic ignition, etc. so that the car is better than original. I don't care about the "correct" factory sloppy engine paint overspray on the exhaust manifolds, but some people invest hours and hours to get just the correct look. Right down to replicating assembly line inspection marks in chalk or dabs of brightly colored paint. It is interesting tor read about the research these guys do and to see the end product of one of their restorations. But for me... not thanks!

I agree. The only way I could ever enjoy a muscle car is if I could just drive it, and spend as little time doing extra steps as possible.

I know a guy that has an original oil filter on his classic Mustang. He takes it off to move it (after putting on a fram), then changes it out for the original before the judging starts.

I agree I would much rather start with a base '69 Camaro 6-Cylinder and build a Restomod (572?) version of a '69 427 COPO car than have a correct original. It would scare me to death to even get the original out of the garage.

The owner of several local McDonalds was an avid car collector when I was a kid. When I was 16 years old he gave me a ride in a 260 Cobra (The early cars were not 289's) he had at the time. I hesitate to even guess what that car is worth almost 30 years later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back