M1 5W-30, 4256 Mi, 2007 Toyota 4Runner 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the first used oil analysis for my 4Runner purchased used back in November. The dealer paperwork that the owner had showed that it was and has been filled with Mobil 1 5W-30 and it had the Toyota oil filter. I pulled a sample through the dipstick tube so I'd know how much life was left before I dumped the oil and ended up running it about another 1000 miles before changing it last week. Results look pretty good with iron the usual Mobil 1 "high". The car is garaged so it rarely starts with a block temp below 40F but it does get a lot of cold starts followed by 1-4 miles of at least a dozen stop signs and traffic lights while serving duty for my wife and kids. I switched to the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 I have on hand that I used to use in my CR-V and upsized to the slightly longer that OEM Purolator PureOne oil filter. I'll probably pull another sample around the same mileage and see how this motor likes the thinner Pennzoil.

Nothing alerting me to any problems here as far as I can tell. Copper seems exceptionally low if the Universal Average is truly for identical engines. I expect slightly better results with warmer weather over this next run of oil though I will be doing a few hundred miles of sincere desert and mountain off-road through the summer along with occasional light towing and I don't know how that affects things on this engine.

4RunnerUOA18FEB2011.jpg

Silicon is a bit high for the miles - might want to check the AF.

Did not do any harm, tho.....

I don't think Fe is high at all looks fine for a bit of fuel and the driving conditions it seen.

the oil did just fine,like the moly Mobil is using now

Severe service usage looks excellent in this UOA. But, don't push the interval much more than that 6k. Its great that oil isn't showing water or fuel. So, it must be getting up to temp, or has really good compression and little blowby.

Engine will last forever if it has no manufacturing defects. Don't forget all the other fluids which are probably overdue if never changed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Silicon is a bit high for the miles - might want to check the AF.

Did not do any harm, tho.....

Si is spot-on with the Universal Average when considering mileage. I changed the air filter within a week or two of buying it (@35k mi) and inspected everything. No dirt tracks on any of the post filter induction system and the MAF sensor looked to be about as dirty as I would have expected for the number of miles (not very but I cleaned it anyway). I don't have any reason to suspect a filtration problem at this point.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Don't forget all the other fluids which are probably overdue if never changed.

At 35k miles, nothing was even close to due according to the factory schedule but the way you use a vehicle can really impact fluid life, especially a 4WD that could see anything from highway commuter duty (fluids last a long time) to moderate/serious off-roading (not so long) means that I tailor my expectations and change accordingly. I have gone ahead and changed the gear oil in both differentials and the transfer case and will probably do a drain and fill on the transmission as soon as I get around to finding a good source of Toyota WS ATF at a decent price. This is one of Toyota's "sealed" transmissions and if you're not getting the tranny hot then the fluid is supposed to last 100k+ miles (I think Toyota says lifetime, but I don't believe it enough to try it). I will probably end up doing a drain and fill regime every few oil changes depending on what I see. Brake fluid is next on my list. Coolant should be good for quite some time.

Nice report. Your high iron isn't really even that high. Looks like you could get 6K out of this oil if you wanted. Interested to see how PP compares.

Factory schedule is a joke. And, did you buy the vehicle used?

Change out the PSF, the transfer case, rear and front end diffs, and consider a flush of the ATF. And, the brake fluid needs bleeding.

WS is done by 30k. Amalie, Valvoline, Amsoil, Redline... have equivalents.

I'd definitely consider Magnefine for the ATF and PSF if you think the manual means something.

So many concentrate on oil and ignore everything else. Too funny and sad!

What is the VOA TBN of the oil?
3.1 seems low for only 4k+ miles.

Charlie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie

Most recent one I found has it at 8.5 to start. 3.1 was lower than I was expecting as well.

Also, noticed Silicon was 6 on the VOA as well. Filtration is more than fine.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Factory schedule is a joke. And, did you buy the vehicle used?

Change out the PSF, the transfer case, rear and front end diffs, and consider a flush of the ATF. And, the brake fluid needs bleeding.

WS is done by 30k. Amalie, Valvoline, Amsoil, Redline... have equivalents.

I'd definitely consider Magnefine for the ATF and PSF if you think the manual means something.

So many concentrate on oil and ignore everything else. Too funny and sad!

Did you even read what I've posted?

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie

Most recent one I found has it at 8.5 to start. 3.1 was lower than I was expecting as well.

Also, noticed Silicon was 6 on the VOA as well. Filtration is more than fine.

TBN is not that low, oil's retention sometimes perform like that,it drops and hold that number till the end of the OC.

some lab error could also be a factor here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back