Differential for Chevy S10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all. I'm looking at changing out the fluid in the differential of my father's S10 pickup. It's a 2001 4.3L.

Original fluid and manual calls for 80w-90. No limited slip fluid in the rear differential is specified.

Just was wondering if I could just go with the universal favorites on the boards here?

Amsoil, Castrol, Mobil1, RedLine, Valvoline...RP, etc.?

He does carry quite a heavy load every so often and has never had the differential fluid changed.

Note: Not a 4x4.
wink.gif

I used Castrol syn 75w-90 in the differential of my '00 Savana that I used to tow a 30 travel trailer. Only reason was it's higher capacity to withstand heat.

being it is the original fluid and its an open diff, just go with any 75w90 or 80w90. According to the amsoil diff study, for dino oil the castrol looked like a really nice well rounded fluid. Some of the others were pretty scary.

Thanks guys. I may find the Castrol if we decide to go dino/group III.

Depending on the price difference, I may choose one from Amsoil's lineup.

I am using Mobil 1 75W90 in my '80 Firebird FORMULA differential and in my wife's Lexus RX-300 TC and reaf diff. Love it!

Right now, if you have a PepBoys in your area, they have it on sale for $8.98/qt. It's a really good price!

Why are most gear oils I see on the shelves LS, I can't seem to find a place with a large selection off differential fluids non-LS?
confused2.gif

i'd use a synthetic, readily available, gear oil 75W-90. Mobil1 is found in most if not all auto parts stores. even walmart

Originally Posted By: xsports33
i'd use a synthetic, readily available, gear oil 75W-90. Mobil1 is found in most if not all auto parts stores. even walmart

I saw it, but it says "LS", and the rear differential maintenance specifically mentions: Do not use Limited Slip additive.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: xsports33

I saw it, but it says "LS", and the rear differential maintenance specifically mentions: Do not use Limited Slip additive.

redline make 2 types of gear oil:

-75w90 with ls
-75w90 with out ls (75w90 NS) http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

Your s10 have a open diff or a locking one?

Last edited:
Open diffs don't care if the fluid is LS or not.
LS diffs usually need the additive.

Single product can cover both markets.

If you have an open diff, you can use ANY 75w90 or 80w90 GL5 gear oil from ANY store around you. Its not going to care if its LS fluid or not.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Open diffs don't care if the fluid is LS or not.
LS diffs usually need the additive.

Single product can cover both markets.

If you have an open diff, you can use ANY 75w90 or 80w90 GL5 gear oil from ANY store around you. Its not going to care if its LS fluid or not.

Oh, I see what you are saying, it's my father's truck so I need to research more on it. Suspension and differential with their different grease/fluids/gear oils are newer for me than anything in the engine bay, which I'm still new to as it is.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Okay, I'm bringing this up again because I found that my dad has a locking-rear differential. Doesn't this mean I want a Limited Slip 'free' gear oil?

Hey Jim. I just changed mine out on a 99 Chevy Blazer. Its the S-10 size. I used Valvoline Durablend 80-90. Got it at AA. Seems like good stuff.

i'm pretty sure your s-10 requires synthetic gear oil, and since you only need less than 3 quarts i would run amsoil.....it works great in my tahoe with the oem locker

Okay, I'm bringing this up again because I found that my dad has a locking-rear differential. Doesn't this mean I want a Limited Slip 'free' gear oil?

If it's a locker you don't want the fm.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

If it's a locker you don't want the fm.

FM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back