Grease for U-Joint : Does type matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just need to fill a newly installed U-joint with some grease and was wondering if I can simply use the grease I have in my guy for other components, or if I need some type of clear grease like the caps were lubed with.

Thanks for any advice.

The best grease (if you can get it) is Kluberplex GWY. It's designed for metal parts under load that see little (vibratory) motion. It's rated life at elevated temperatures is 2400 hours (roughly 120K at 50 mph).

I'm not sure what over-the-counter grease is best suitable.

I'm sorry, I posted our company's notation for the grease. The grease is actually Kluberplex BEM 34-132. I found a place that sells it on-line:

http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/99990000600.html

This is all I could find for Product Data Information:

"Kluberplex BEM 34-132 has the following characteristics: – excellent wear protection – good resistance to temperatures up to 140 °C – excellent resistance to water and ambient media – good corrosion protection – particularly good effect against micro motion – excellent resistance to ageing. Kluberplex BEM 34-132 is a special grease for many applications where extreme demands have to be met. It is particularly suitable for long-term and lifetime lubrication."

question - how would you get grease packaged that way into a u-joint that is already installed and been used for some time? I can understand using regular grease cartridges with one of those rubber tip attachments to get it into the u-joint (mine doesnt have a zerk, but a concave metal piece with a bearing in the center).

Thanks!

JMH

Sounds like you have the "flush type" grease fitting. If that's the case, you can use a tip attachment like one of these, which will push the ball bearing in and allow the grease to enter:
 -
 -

right, but these connect up to a standard grease gun outlet tube, right?

The product shown in the link above is not in a grease gun cartridge, its in its own applicator tube... Would those fittings like you show thrad up to a tube like in the link and allow enough pressure to be develloped to force grease in?

Also, why is it called the "flush type"? Does this mean that I need to add grease until it flushes out all of the old stuff?

Sorry for the dumb questions...

JMH

274 #2 Schaeffers is excellent in U-joints,,,,or Mystik High Temp,,or SX-6,,,Amsoil #2 multi purpose,,,,,,,,,,BL

JMH--

You would need to transfer the grease into a standard grease gun. It may be possible to purchase it in a standard insertable tube, but I am not sure. I do not believe the needle nose attachments would connect to the plastic tube shown in the link.

As far as the term "flush type" it means flush with the surface of the joint--as in "not protruding" as a regular zerk would be. However, it is always a good idea to flush out the old grease with the new.

Hope that helps.

--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back