Mobil 1 0w30, 5303 mi, 2010 Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first oil analysis. I had been using Mobil 1 5w30 prior to this change. The car had a total of 15000 miles when the sample was taken. This OCI consisted of mainly long highway trips. I am a little surprised at the low viscosity and flashpoint. Thoughts?

2010mojo1.jpg

It's my understanding that M1 0-30 starts out on the low side of the scale for a 0-30 or a 5-30. Vis isn't a problem. FF seems fine to me. TBN is very good. 10K wouldn't be a problem if you so desire.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Vis and FP could be combo of some lab errors also.

the oil did fine IMO nice TBN i would check your air filter tho.

was this AFE? try another run..

Yes, it's got a nice TBN value, and could probably go 10k with ease. However, I think you and I are in the same boat. I also use M1 0w-30 and change it out early b/c of warranty requirements. If I'm right and you and I are alike in that regard, then continue to change it as specified by the manufacturer. However, if you don't care about the warranty, or will deal with it if anything arises, or if I'm mistaken and there is no warranty for some reason, then you can easily extend your oil change.

Don't be concerned with the "low" numbers you mentioned, overall everything looks good. Continue to use it with confidence.

I've become rather impressed with Mobil 1's AFE line. It's not touted as an extended drain oil (ACEA A1 spec), but it seems to really be a stout oil.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've become rather impressed with Mobil 1's AFE line. It's not touted as an extended drain oil (ACEA A1 spec), but it seems to really be a stout oil.

Right but i take this oil out 7-9,000 miles,if i wasn't so cheap i'd do a UOA.

but i can buy allot of M1 for $30+ bucks haha

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Always exceptions to the rule, but 10K shouldn't be a problem with most engines. I just put
M1 0-20 in the Fusion and will do 10K OCI. Starting TBN is 9.3 or so.

What is the required OCI on a 2010 Yaris?

Is it 5k, or is it 10k, like the Camry?

What grade is called for?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Always exceptions to the rule, but 10K shouldn't be a problem with most engines. I just put M1 0-20 in the Fusion and will do 10K OCI. Starting TBN is 9.3 or so.

I will do (2) 5K OCIs on my Acura MDX and do a UOA after the 2nd and see where the TBN lies. My wife uses it on a lot of short trips to the kids' school and back, so I'm not comfortable with an extended OCI yet. This car does not have an OLM, and as I recall Acura recommends either 3,750 or 7,500 mile OCIs. Our driving is definitely in the 3,750 OCI category, but I'll start with 5K OCIs and go from there.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
What is the required OCI on a 2010 Yaris?

Is it 5k, or is it 10k, like the Camry?

What grade is called for?

I believe the 2010 Yaris would have 5W-20 as the factory fill (with 5K OCIs). I don't think they started with the 0W-20 and 10K OCIs until the 2011 model year, but I could be wrong.

Reason I asked is that I thought the smallest Toyo engine, the 1.5, in the Yaris and Prius, called for 5W-30 and 5k OCI's.

If it actually calls for 5W-20, then the OP is using the wrong grade of oil, which may cause issues on a brand-new car.....

The Yaris comes with a factory fill of 5w20 and has a OCI of 5k. However, the owner's manual and fill cap state to use 5w30. Toyota issued a TSB a few years ago that stated 5w20 could be used but has not changed the info in the manuals. I checked with Toyota both through emails and phone calls and no one had any knowledge of the TSB and stated that the grade of oil specified in the owner's manual should be used.

Typical automaker answer. Toyota would be better off with a phone recording that just says "duh" since you can't ever get a straight answer from them.

You can use any weight you want. I'd stick with this 0w30 and 10k intervals.

Perfect UOA. Engine should last forever.

I'd also give the 0w20 AFE a try. Results should be similar.

I have an 07 Yaris and I'm using M1 0w30. Your results are almost the exact same as mine in terms of wear metals and viscosity & flashpoint after about 5K. My Yaris gets more city driving than highway. It looks like your results are good and typical. Did you also notice an improvement in fuel economy as you put more miles on the oil?

My fuel economy started at 42 MPG and slowly declined to 37 MPG, although this was due to the weather turning colder. My first two tanks after the oil change are around 37 MPG also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back