MicroGard MGL16 - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics of a MicroGard MGL16, taken from a 2000 Chrysler Voyager with the 3.0L V6. Ran about 4000 miles/4 months. Used with O'Reilly HM 10w30. ADBV still held oil.

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

must be a fram product? held up some what better,i would still avoid it though but thats me.

thanks for all the pics!

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
That is a pretty good looking filter.Fram keeps getting a bad rap when they're not that bad.

you did see his other post?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
That is a pretty good looking filter.Fram keeps getting a bad rap when they're not that bad.

you did see his other post?
27.gif

Yeah,before I went to the Fram that he had posted.He did say that he didnt know the time line on the filter.While it may have had 3K miles it may have been on the car for a year or more
21.gif

I am not saying that Frams are the best but I dont think they are as bad as some say.I have used many Frams and never had any problems that I know of.

Looks perfect. That other thread posted by the OP with the PH16 is ugly. I wonder if there's a coolant/moisture issue on that Durango. I'd love to see a P1 used in the same app and cut open to compare.

Yeah,before I went to the Fram that he had posted.He did say that he didnt know the time line on the filter.While it may have had 3K miles it may have been on the car for a year or more
21.gif

A filter shouldn't look that bad after 20,000 miles. A year is NOTHING.

I am not saying that Frams are the best but I dont think they are as bad as some say.I have used many Frams and never had any problems that I know of.

That's how Fram's stayed in business. Most people never "know of" a problem, unless the filter collapses to the point that it blocks flow and turns on the oil pressure idiot light. Certainly people don't realize their engine is getting a diet of un-filtered oil.... there's no idiot light or gauge for that, and nothing will fail immediately. It just burns the life wick down far faster than necessary.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Looks perfect. That other thread posted by the OP with the PH16 is ugly. I wonder if there's a coolant/moisture issue on that Durango. I'd love to see a P1 used in the same app and cut open to compare.

+1 ... Looks like a possible moisture issue on that FRAM in the other thread.

Looks good, nothing like the PH16 the OP posted. I'd still prefer the older Microgard design, but this worked.

As for the OP's PH16 and moisture from extreme temp changes or coolant, it's possible. But here's a P1 with what looks like a similar issue, and 3k use too. Media is wavy, but endcaps are still in place as opposed to the fiber in the PH16.
21.gif
The pic is from this thread. Thanks to the OP for posting.

img20100918212545.jpg

Sayjac, that was from my dad's truck. Now that you mention it, I can see where mosiure would be an issue. The truck does mostly short trips and hardly see the highway. It's due for an oil change in late next month or early January. I will cut it open to see what I find.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Sayjac, that was from my dad's truck. Now that you mention it, I can see where mosiure would be an issue. The truck does mostly short trips and hardly see the highway. It's due for an oil change in late next month or early January. I will cut it open to see what I find.

Sounds like moisture is definitely a factor based on how that truck is used.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

A filter shouldn't look that bad after 20,000 miles. A year is NOTHING.

It could if there were other conditions present.

I work at O'reilly and the Microgard oil filters are a Fram orange can without a orange can. Glad to see yours held together so well and did its job. They are about 50 cents cheaper than the orange cans, so no reason to get the fram. Funny thing is when I let customers know this I get the same old ignorant "I like Fram's been using them for years never had any problems , best for the money" makes me laugh inside every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back