ST7317 "Loose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an Acura MDX, and want to get in a quick oil change at 57k miles, and then I'll get on standard 5k mile OCIs at 60k.

So I hopped in Walmart real quick last night to get a jug of PYB and a ST7317. Once home, I was looking at the filter and discovered that if I stick my finger down through the hole, I can move the cartridge about inside the canister. It's loose. I've never had that from a filter before, and probably won't use it. I don't think the oil/filter are that old anyway, so I'll just keep the current filter on it and just change the oil.

Is this "normal" for a spin-on filter? I've never noticed this movement in anything else I've used before. It's like the cartridge assembly down in the filter isn't properly fixed to the base plate. This is the first ST filter I've purchased.

Got to say this one has me baffled a tad. I use the 7317/14610 for several vehicles but I've never thought to put my finger down the centertube to check it. I always inspect the outside and look at the base and down the centertube.

I will say that if you shake the can/filter and don't hear or feel any noise/movement, it's likely ok. The ST is a non ecore filter and I've used them in the past. For my own satisfaction though, I'd want to compare them with others. This size it actually one of the few where one can reach/touch the centertube with a finger.

A little movement with pressure could mean nothing as the core is basically held in place with a leaf spring. If it passes the shake test I say ok. For your peace of mind though you may want swap.

fwiw, for ~$2.84, I'd easily choose the non ecore ST 7317 over an orange can any day. But, I'd choose a Classic before either, but that's just me.

smile.gif
I had never stuck my finger inside a ST7317 before today either. I had to check it out after reading this post. I sure couldn't get it to move.
grin.gif

You might want to contact Champion Labs and see what they say rather than hassling the WM return desk. I don't think I would stand in that line for $3.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Cut it open!

And see what?

I've got 3 ST7317's in my collection, fresh off the assembly line with a production date of 11/10/10. None of them rattle if you shake them, yet I can get the center tube to move around a bit if I poke my finger down inside.

Thanks guys. Mine does rattle if you shake it. I never thought to shake the filter either. The reason I stuck my finger down there is I saw the rubber ADBV collar sticking down below the threads some, and thought I'd just see how pliable it was. When I did, I felt this crunching feeling holding the can. Huh? I didn't put three and three together until I realized that I was actually moving the core around inside the can.

I'll just dump the oil and put a new filter on next time. It'll be in 3,000 miles anyway, and the oil/filter SHOULD have only 1,000 miles on it now (but close to a year in the sump). It does look awfully discolored, so I don't know if they got the oil changed at 55,000 miles like they normally would have.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Cut it open!

And see what?

I've got 3 ST7317's in my collection, fresh off the assembly line with a production date of 11/10/10. None of them rattle if you shake them, yet I can get the center tube to move around a bit if I poke my finger down inside.

And see if it's missing the leaf spring that's supposed to hold all the guts tight. For $3 I'd cut it open instead of waiting in line on black Friday.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
fwiw, for ~$2.84, I'd easily choose the non ecore ST 7317 over an orange can any day. But, I'd choose a Classic before either, but that's just me.

I would, too. As you know, Purolator makes filters about 5 miles from where I live in Fayetteville. But this purchase was at about 9:30 last night, when I realized that stores would be closed tomorrow and I had no interest in going out on Friday.

I'll buy a Classic for the next change for sure.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
And see if it's missing the leaf spring that's supposed to hold all the guts tight. For $3 I'd cut it open instead of waiting in line on black Friday.

I certainly won't be in line tomorrow, but for the money, I may just cut it open. I'm more curious now than $3's worth. I'll post a pic later today or tomorrow.

Cut it open!

And see what?

And you call your self a BITOGer? Pfft....

Originally Posted By: daman
Cut it open!

And see what?

And you call your self a BITOGer? Pfft....

Since the OP is now saying the filter rattles it's probably because the pressure relief valve at the bottom of the can doesn't exert quite enough pressure on the center tube.

Because every filter is pressure tested before leaving Champ's production facility it's highly unlikely that opening it up will uncover anything significant. I would call Champ's Hot Line (or send them an e-mail) asking how a rattling filter could pass their inspection process.

Return it. The leaf spring is toast and you will have an improper seal on the adbv to boot.

I like Jim's idea of letting Champ take a look at it. If I return it, Walmart'll just shrug and stick it back on the shelf. If I cut it open, I'll post whatever I find here, perceptively defective or not, and Champ won't likely know anything about it. If I do let Champ look at it, and it is defective, Champ will see where an improvement could be made, potentially in the production or QC process, and everyone's filter might be the better because of it.

I just sent an inquiry to Champ Labs' website, so I'll keep this thread updated.

The filter doesn't make a metallic rattle sound when you shake it, but it sounds like something's moving. Almost like the sound of shaking a Christmas present. It does it more if I hold the filter on the base end and flick it with my wrist like using a drum stick. It still does it if I hold it at the dome end, but not as apparent.

It's almost like the element is semi-attached at the base end, but is flopping around at the dome end. Some suggested a slack leaf spring, but you think you'd hear that leaf spring rattling, wouldn't you? Or maybe it's JUST slack enough to let that element wiggle around at the dome end, but it's not rattly loose.

Either way, I'll keep this thread updated. Only BITOGers would dedicate this much time and discussion on a $2.84 oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I just sent an inquiry to Champ Labs' website, so I'll keep this thread updated.

The filter doesn't make a metallic rattle sound when you shake it, but it sounds like something's moving. Almost like the sound of shaking a Christmas present. It does it more if I hold the filter on the base end and flick it with my wrist like using a drum stick. It still does it if I hold it at the dome end, but not as apparent.

It's almost like the element is semi-attached at the base end, but is flopping around at the dome end. Some suggested a slack leaf spring, but you think you'd hear that leaf spring rattling, wouldn't you? Or maybe it's JUST slack enough to let that element wiggle around at the dome end, but it's not rattly loose.

Either way, I'll keep this thread updated. Only BITOGers would dedicate this much time and discussion on a $2.84 oil filter.

Appreciated, curious of what the results will be.

I have results already.

Champ Labs was very prompt with their reply, but they don't want the filter back. I received two emails this morning, and they don't want the filter back. I'm still curious, so I probably will cut the filter open, given that they don't want it back.

Jason,

Thanks for the heads up on that filter. I will go ahead and log the complaint to make sure we don't have any future issues.

Thanks,

Peter Craig
Tech Rep
Champion Labs

and

Jason,

I forgot to mention that it would probably be best just to return the fitler to Wal-Mart (exchange or get your money back). Since Wal-Mart owns the Supertech brand, they prefer that any returns come directly to them. They do have a procedure for sending defective filters to us for testing, but it is not really neccessary, as we have not had any other complaints on that filter.

Peter Craig
Tech Rep
Champion Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back