25,000mi ~running Amsoil SSO 0w-30 in a 2010 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy... I am posting this UOA that one of my regular customers sent to Blackstone.
He has a fleet of about 4 Prius's, and runs them about 35k/year for his home healthcare business.

He freaked his Priuschat forum out with running the oil that long... lots of "sky is falling" type comments.

** Note, He is running Toyota OEM oil and air filters. **
I have recommended a 1/2 duration oil filter change, but fairly certain he did not follow that advice.

----------------- Begin UOA ---------------

AVERY: Universal averages show typical wear levels for Toyota's 1.8L engine after about 7,300 miles on the oil. You ran your oil 25,000 miles, and wear metals look good. Silicon is a bit above average, so check your engine's air filtration system for leaks. The low flashpoint indicates that fuel dilution was present at 0.5%, but that is pretty normal for a hybrid and not a problem. The viscosity was normal for a 0W/30 oil. The TBN was 3.1, showing plenty of active additive in the oil. 1.0 is a low TBN. Try up to 27,000 miles next and resample for more information.

Granbury, TX 76048
EQUIPMENT MAKE:....Toyota
EQUIPMENT MODEL:.. 1.8L 4-cyl (2ZRFXE) (Prius)
FUEL TYPE:.............Gasoline (Unleaded)

REPORT DATE:...11/15/2010
NAME:..............AVERY xxxxx

OIL USE INTERVAL : 25,000 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Amsoil Synthetic 0W/30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 1.5 qts

OIL REPORT

MI/HR ON OIL :......25,000
MI/HR ON UNIT:.....31,000
SAMPLE DATE:.......11/06/10

*PARTS PER MILLION* / UNIVERSAL AVERAGES
ALUMINUM.........16..............5
CHROMIUM........1...............0
IRON................37.............10
COPPER............12.............2
LEAD................0.............0
TIN..................0..............1
MOLYBDENUM...67..............90
NICKEL............1................0
MANGANESE.....7................0
SILVER............0................0
TITANIUM........0................0
POTASSIUM.....5................2
BORON............7................63
SILICON..........58...............14
SODIUM..........9................5
CALCIUM.........3251..........2355
MAGNESIUM.....13..............11
PHOSPHORUS...568............641
ZINC..............682.............786
BARIUM...........0................0

TEST.....VALUES SHOULD BE.......TESTED VALUES WERE
WATER %..............0................0.0

ANTIFREEZE %.........0................0.0

FUEL %.................
FLASHPOINT INºF......>385.........375

SUS VISCOSITY@210ºF:55-63.....56.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C:.8.8-11.3..9.20

INSOLUBLES %........
TBN......... 3.1

COPYRIGHT BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES 2007
416 EAST PETTIT AVE
FORT WAYNE, IN 46806 (260) 744-2380
LIABILITY LIMITED TO COST OF SAMPLE ANALYSIS

--------------- end OA -------------

this is only my customers' second oil change. The first was the factory oil drain.

He said that he is certain that his air intake system is intact and sealed, so all I can surmise is since this is only his 2nd oil change, the silicon is not necessary dirt contamination but rather silicon leaching from seals. I think I read somewhere that that is common in some new engines.

Looking forward to any thoughts.

That looks really, really good for an extended OCI. But I say check the intake path for vacuum leaks - your RTV theory is valid. If it was me, I would hold off on long OCIs until the powertrain or extended warranties are up. Just in case you know.

And I would change the filter every 5K. I ran Red Line for 7-10K drains on a 1996 Nissan Quest with Wix filters and the internals still look great. Even though I'm using whatever I'm getting for cheap now.

Is that 25k miles on the gas motor, or 25k miles on the car overall? How many hours/miles on the gas motor? If they're driving around town a lot, the actual mileage might be much lower, right? But I don't know much about a Prius. Just curious.

Hi,
blakeinspace - What distance (or hours) actually constitutes the engines power on use. We have Prius Cabs here and actual engine use is quite low in many circumstances IIRC

Last edited:
Doug & Rizzo... good questions. I am not sure exact numbers, I'll talk to Avery and see if his cars' computer is clever enough to give us that data. His hybrid motor does see some less usage, and that was one of the reasons he had no qualms of running it out to 25k.

Matter of fact, I'll send him this link, see if we can't get another member. His original UOA is posted on Prius Chat, but I can't upload pdf.s to the interwebs from work.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
blakeinspace - What distance (or hours) actually constitutes the engines power on use. We have Prius Cabs here and actual engine use is quite low in many circumstances IIRC

Exactly what I was thinking.

I have an 08 Prius for work and I haven't found where it displays actual engine on time or miles.

While the actual engine miles are much less than 25,000 miles this interval is still 5 times the Toyota recommended service interval.

Kudos to him for having the stones to leave it in that long and see what really happens.

That's a great UOA. Thanks for posting.

It's a testament to how well SSO holds up, as well as how well that Toyota 4-banger is designed. The fuel dilution would be expected, but I would have been concerned with a hybrid engine being hard on TBN with all of its starts & stops. Amazing.

Personally, I think he should keep his filter in for the entire time. That UOA shows that there's no problem doing that. I'm currently going 35,000 miles on my filters without problems.

I would think that if he is totaling 35K a year, possibly 25K would be engine miles. Therefore, why not set him up with an Eao...if they make one.... and have him run the oil for one year. Amsoil will make good with their guarantee of one year or 35K if the oil fails. Now that is bottom line business with a quarantee.

Would be interesting to see how many of those 25k miles are engine-on miles.

If you take LargeCarMan's guess into consideration, the effective milage of this UOA would be about 17,900. Still a great report with those miles, especially considering this is only the second drain like reddog said.

Penny rich and pound foolish. The oil was great,but the motor is still breaking in and that is the source of all the wear metals and silicon.

The best measure for this (or any) type of vehicle is the amount of fuel consumed. It can't hide usage in regen braking or coasting when the engine is off.

A simple average mpg should give you some reasonable reference.

Like Sebastian Vettel would say: "That is what I am talking about!!".

Great UOA, thanks for sharing.

In my opinion, Si comes from the breaking in and the owner should not worry about that too much.

I still don't understand the reason some wants to change the oil filter half way through. This UOA just shows he can do the whole OCI with this oil filter, why changing something that works well already.

Gary or Pablo, with a TBN at 3.1 after 25000 miles, do you think he can go up to his one year and probably 35000 miles with this combo?
Do you see other problems coming up by increasing the OCI like fuel dilution for example?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Virtuoso - I have just consulted with a Principal from the local Cab Co. and they estimate that "engine-on" time is about 80%

I was guessing 75% so I wasn't that far off. Nice UOA report!

Different Strokes. Yes,the oil performed flawlessly....but why run it so far with all the additional break in contaminants? I could care less about "getting value" out of my oil change. I am preserving a 25,000 asset,so,I am going to select a good quality synthetic oil,good quality filters,and change it every 6 months,Fall and Spring.......even if I've only 4500 miles on it.

I get amused by the double standard comments and false logic.

When some who doesn't care for an extended OCI tries to argue against its quality, it is often, "Well, that oil can't really last that long," or "Other oils can do just as well."

Then when someone really pulls a long OCI out of the oil it's, "I don't care about cost, it's about protection for me."

Well, there are plenty of tests that show some of these "expensive" oils provide greater protection than others, so what's the argument now?
Albeit, I know it's not PC to say an oil is "better" than another brand, etc., here. That could hurt people's feelings, of course...

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back