2002 nissan sentra spec v gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here is the situation guys, my nissan transaxle calls for 75w85 so i wanted to put in a synthetic gear oil and i wanted to get close to the viscosity, so i used redline mt90. I have the vq35 swap so the bellhousing from the maxima was used, and there is no gasket so nissan seal was used (didn't think of thst when switching to synthetic) now the weeping is even worse ( should of just stayed with thick conventional). OKAY to get to the point im not going to use the specified weight, i want something heavier preferably conventional off the shelf at the local auto parts store. i see alot of 75w90 but i want something thicker, but there is only heavy duty truck gear oil that would screw the trans up. what weight would you guys use thanks?

Last edited:
Any pics of the VQ35 swap? I've seen a few of these Sentra's out there and that is pretty [censored].

I would stick with the MT-90 if you want something thicker. I notice the Amsoil MTG I put in my 6 speed Maxima actually feels much thinner than the MT-90 it replaced, and the MT-90 was actually sluggish feeling in the cooler temps over the MTG also.

You are probably using the right fluid if you want something a little thicker.. I can't comment on an actual 75w85 but that is my experience with a Nissan trans with 2 different GL-4 fluids. For my application, I think the MTG feels better hands down.

I'm sorry, but did you just say you have a Sentra with a VQ35 in it??

If it were me I'd be tempted to try some plain old GL-4 gear oil in the correct weight and see if it works. Does this application require GL-4 or is GL-5 OK too?

ya thats right a spec v with vq35, i dont know how to post pics? anymore input on gear oil.

it calls for gl-4. because gl-5 contains sulfides, in which become acidic and eat the brass components in the transaxle.

Originally Posted By: Grambo
ya thats right a spec v with vq35, i dont know how to post pics?

I had never heard of that before .. that is awesome.

Figured it required GL-4 like other Nissan transmissions I've seen. Like I said I'd be tempted to refill with a conventional GL-4 of the correct weight and see what happens, but I'm not really all that into synthetic fluids so I'm probably not the right person to answer the question. Finding GL-4 can be difficult where I am but I've found it at some of the "better" parts stores.

Are you able to pull and re-seal? Maybe let it sit a while longer to set up before filling. Then, use what ever feels best.

Napa has quarts of the GL4 85w90 Stalube/Crc.

SAE50 truck manual transmission lube is another option and won't screw up your transmission.

You should reseal that transmission.

A pint of Lucas snot will slow down the leak.

As you go thicker, shift quality will suffer. But, with the Vq35 in a lighter B15, do you need to shift much anyway!!!

im not going to to pull the whole thing apart right now, thanks for the suggestions

The Seal between the MAXIMA BELLHOUSING and the SENTRA GEARBOX, Its all good now added some mobil 1 75w90 and now everything peachy for the moment. As i did mention before there is no gasket between the parts described above, therefore nissan seal was used ( Nissan's version of Silicone RTV sealant ) so it weeps a little bit.

Originally Posted By: Grambo
The Seal between the MAXIMA BELLHOUSING and the SENTRA GEARBOX, Its all good now added some mobil 1 75w90 and now everything peachy for the moment. As i did mention before there is no gasket between the parts described above, therefore nissan seal was used ( Nissan's version of Silicone RTV sealant ) so it weeps a little bit.

Sorry for the confusion. By seal, I meant the sealant. I was asking if you considered resealing it after a thorough cleaning of all lube on the mating surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back