Least expensive 75W85 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the least expensive 75W85 gear oil - will be used in very light-duty, Asian import applications.

RL is getting a bit pricey - I'm hoping to find something qt if possible.

75w85 isn't all that common ....... Why cant it use 75w90 ...... What does the manual call for ?
Pretty much all of the late model Japanese imports call for 75W85 in their drivetrain components.

I did what I did. Not sure it was the right thing to do. Got the Toyota from dealer. Justified it by calculating my cost
in pennies per mile. LOL

Just for the IS350....

I did what I did. Not sure it was the right thing to do. Got the Toyota from dealer. Justified it by calculating my cost
in pennies per mile. LOL

Just for the IS350....
My local dealers just use BG or MOC 75W90, even in the transfer cases that take the unicorn 75W.

My local dealers just use BG or MOC 75W90, even in the transfer cases that take the unicorn 75W.
Agreed. I was running a synthetic 75W90 and 75W110 but am switching out to HPL.

You may remember but I was having some rear diff issues in my 4Runner. When I switched
to HPL the noise got better. That's why I am making the switch. I had tried 3 different gear
oils and the HPL was the quietest. IMHO

I wish I could control my lubrication emotions better.

Last edited:
Looking for the least expensive 75W85 gear oil - will be used in very light-duty, Asian import applications.

RL is getting a bit pricey - I'm hoping to find something qt if possible.
usually you can get the stuff pretty cheap at the farm and fleet type places... but you'll have to settle for 75 90 as that 75 85 stuff is a boutique blend offered by automakers so they can con you into buying gear lube from the dealer. :)

I follow OE specs on cars that are not my own.
There was a YT video from Care Care Nut where he summed up why to use say 75w-90 which is thicker than per OM.
I understand if it's a customer's car, I'd not if it's a family member's or friend's and especially if out of warranty or they don't care about warranty.

How many quarts are you purchasing? if its only a few then it shouldnt be wallet busting. I cringe at the prices of 75w90 as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back