Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil indirectly challenged the others under the Quaker State brand. The marketing department for Pennzoil/Quaker State brands put up the Quaker State challenge. What is interesting is that PZ/QS seems to have determined that the advertising by Valvoline/Castrol against Mobil has been effective in making a difference in public perceptions regarding motor oil brand wear protection quality. Also interesting, is the fact that no one took up the challenge by Quaker State and "wear war" noise got quiet real quick.

Read this,

Quaker State Joins Wear Wars

Last edited:
In order to meet GF-4/5 and API SM/SN you have to score below 90 microns. So their advertising is misleading at this point. Whatever issue Mobil was having was most likely corrected.

Hi,
both Shell and Valvoline are in strife in this area for mislaeading advertising. Pennzoil challenged their claims

Advertising is typically an expensive game - with more winners in an apathetic world - than losers! Buyer beware!!

I have been using castrol for 2 years. even mobil 1 is the popular oil, I never use it. I trust castrol oil. It is underrated. castrol is probably #1 oil.

Does this mean I can go 8x longer before doing my oil change?

If any of you are seriously going to answer my question. I'm going to slap you.

I remember that now. I take it that SOPUS got tired of Castrol and Valvoline's claims and wanted to end it once and for all. It also indicates that they must know beforehand that QS wear protection is not surpassed by the others. Probably the average consumer was under the impression that, Mobil 1 is the best but here comes Castrol and Valvoline saying they're better so they must be better than QS/PZ too.

8x better protection than Mobil 1.

Castrol should setup their own API and ILSAX standards as they now have the new bench mark. Other suppliers (Including Mobil) should request Castrol endorse their products.

Castrol should know we were not born yesterday, hopefully major oil companies will stop marketing krapp.

Quote:
Castrol should know we were not born yesterday

...but..but 90% of all wear occurs at start up
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Castrol should know we were not born yesterday

...but..but 90% of all wear occurs at start up
frown.gif

The first 20 minutes of start-up too, not when you turn the key, which is the impression i was under.

*Gets sludge poured at the drive thru*

I like Castrol. M1 is not bad too but ... but, but, its Mobil 1! It can do no wrong!
27.gif

Says right on the Castrol ad, if its still played (I havent seen it) That its based on a "5W-30 Industry Standard Sequence WEAR test." One of the ASTMs, no doubt..

Quote:
The first 20 minutes of start-up too, not when you turn the key, which is the impression i was under.

Yes, Harley, you have it right.

I like how ExxonMobil calls it marketing tactics, and then goes on to say....

Quote:
“These are marketing tactics,” ExxonMobil told Lube Report, referring to Quaker State’s motor oil challenge. “Besides assessments based on laboratory and bench tests, the performance and protection of Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil has been repeatedly recognized based on real world conditions and experiences. The world’s leading auto manufacturers use and recommend Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil more than any other motor oil brand; the world’s top motorsports teams rely on Mobil 1 technology for outstanding engine protection and performance."

Tell me that isn't marketing bees

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Does it really matter? I could use mobil,castrol,valvoline,amsoil,redline whatever I want. I'm still gonna make it to 300k miles on my motor. All this talk about m1 having higher Fe in UOAs guess what ill still be 300k motor still intact. I still think people believe there is a best oil and they keep looking. well No. Just choose a oil that's within your budget, meets your specs, and makes you feel all good inside.

You my friend, hit the nail on the head. Even a cheap dino can make an car last 300k.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Does it really matter? I could use mobil,castrol,valvoline,amsoil,redline whatever I want. I'm still gonna make it to 300k miles on my motor. All this talk about m1 having higher Fe in UOAs guess what ill still be 300k motor still intact. I still think people believe there is a best oil and they keep looking. well No. Just choose a oil that's within your budget, meets your specs, and makes you feel all good inside.

You my friend, hit the nail on the head. Even a cheap dino can make an car last 300k.

While these statements are spot on, when a person is paying top $$ for what he/she believes is the best oil, they want answers. It was the marketing dept that got people to believe their selection was the best based on the B_S they feed people. Times like these that B_S can turn around and bite them on the arse, just as it did here.

I read the article about Sopus challenging others, very interesting and brilliant approach by them. Just goes to show that the difference between oils is marginal and nobody felt confident enough to take up the challenge.

Having said that I bet Pennzoil’s cleanliness claims are nothing more than marketing running their mouths off as well. Everybody plays this game unfortunately.

Since this talk was about marketing and Castrol, no one has ever been able to prove if Castrol actually took cam lobe measurements or just based their claims on UOAs which would most definitely show higher iron numbers. If that's what they're basing their claims on, then it is total bunk per the mechanical vs chemical wear debate.

As for Valvoline, they say they repeated the test. While this may be the case, they could have easily have taken an outlier result and published that. If they got the stock when the Mobil 1 bottles didn't have the API logo on them, then that would be cause for corruption in the results as well. They just said they recently purchased it. They didn't give batch codes or manufacture dates.

Neither Castrol, Valvoline or SOPUS has shown all documentation of the tests, so I believe the results must be taken with a grain of salt.

No manufacturer revoked certifications based on these claims. GM set a precedent for that back when some of Castrol's products failed the GM6094M test several years ago.

I'm not siding with any party, I'm just bringing up valid questions that were never answered.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Having said that I bet Pennzoil’s cleanliness claims are nothing more than marketing running their mouths off as well. Everybody plays this game unfortunately.

+1

"Cleans up to 46% of Engine Sludge on first Oil Change," Even PYB, this negating PP or PU.
lol.gif

Talk about MARKETING BLUNDERS!!! They hit Reverse on that one and peeled out.....

Consider this:

In order to pass the API SN/GF-5 specification you HAVE to score below 90 microns on the Seq IVA. The Seq IVA is a low speed, low temperature test that measures cam lobe wear. It's a nice test, but not the end all of tests.

Let's see Valvoline and Castrol compare M1 in the Seq IIIG or TEOST test....I guarantee you Mobil 1 would be superior.

Originally Posted By: buster
Consider this:

In order to pass the API SN/GF-5 specification you HAVE to score below 90 microns on the Seq IVA. The Seq IVA is a low speed, low temperature test that measures cam lobe wear. It's a nice test, but not the end all of tests.

Let's see Valvoline and Castrol compare M1 in the Seq IIIG or TEOST test....I guarantee you Mobil 1 would be superior.

Valvoline claimed results of 20 microns of camshaft wear for their synth 5W30 verses 180 microns for Mobil 1 5W30 on the SeqIV test.

They were claiming 4x less wear then and continue to claim 4x now.

http://jobbersworld.com/valvolineq&Apage1.htm

http://jobbersworld.com/valvolinesletter.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back