Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dakota99
That's what i like about Pennzoil. Their kinda like the quiet guys, that provide a product that works very good, no more and no less. No slinging mud, no name calling, no sludge falling from the clouds..

This is also the reason I like Mobil 1. Kinda like how your parents teach you to be the better person and don't attack back. Not saying Mobil 1 is the better person.....

It's been confirmed by the API that Mobil 1 meets all the required tests, therefore has to be below 90 microns. I'm not saying there was not an issue at one particular time, but it's no issue now.

I think the poor Seq IVA results exposed a flaw in M1. May have been temporary, but I believe what Valvoline found. For years though M1 was one of the only oils you could buy that could be used in racing applications. It's known more for handling high temperatures than protecting the cam lobes in the grocery getter. At least from what I've seen on here.

Maybe they just have some poor chemists right now. Who knows...

Pennzoil is a class act, there is no doubt in my mind. There is also no doubt in my mind that there are plenty of synthetic oils better than Mobil 1. Being the biggest in the world doesn't make you the best. Mobil just has the best marketing of all the oil companies. The proof is in the sales numbers, and for UOA believers the iron numbers.
27.gif
JMO

I was dead set against using Edge because of their stupid advertising. I'm glad I grabbed it when it was on sale and tried it. Their advertising sucks but the product is very good! In two different vehicles Edge is the clear winner in being much quieter than Mobil 1 0W20 and 5W30.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's been confirmed by the API that Mobil 1 meets all the required tests, therefore has to be below 90 microns. I'm not saying there was not an issue at one particular time, but it's no issue now.

I think the poor Seq IVA results exposed a flaw in M1. May have been temporary, but I believe what Valvoline found. For years though M1 was one of the only oils you could buy that could be used in racing applications. It's known more for handling high temperatures than protecting the cam lobes in the grocery getter. At least from what I've seen on here.

Maybe they just have some poor chemists right now. Who knows...

This is why I asked M1 how much wear they are seeing with M1 5W30 in the SeqIVA test. Their response was:

A: Mobil 1 meets or exceeds all of the wear protection requirements of the API SM and ILSAC GF-4 standards

The thing is that Mobil 1 had SM on their bottles when Valvoline claimed they were seeing 180 microns of wear with M1 5W30.

I know. I don't blame a lot of people for being skeptical of the brand, but I do think it was resolved. The are getting what they deserve. Their arrogance is disgusting.

Hi,
buster - You said this:
"It's known more for handling high temperatures than protecting the cam lobes in the grocery getter. At least from what I've seen on here."

Can you provide some evidence of this please? Pictures of worn cam lobes etc will do just fine

Doug the only things I can provide are:

1. Valvoline's evidence.
2. Royal Purple/M1 in a Mustang. Not the most scientific though I admit.

Mobil's pathetic answer to why the Fe runs a tad higher, even if it is nothing, is ridiculous and based on Castrol and Ashland's claims, Mobil has had some issues in my opinion. I'm using their 0w-30 now because it's most likely been resolved, but after this Q&A I am thinking of switching to another brand.

Hi,
buster - Thanks for responding - so there is no evidence from you!

Castrol has signed a new Contract (May 2010) with the VW=Audi Group for FF and an excleusive recommendation for their Franchised retailer network for Service Fill products out until 2015

The prime product will be their exclusive "Professional" range which has been co-engineered with VW

I discussed this with Castrol Lub Engineers in May at the Nurburgring

The "Edge" range of lubricants is of high quality

As to eight times better - well my Indonesion toothpick seems to be eight times better than my Chinese one - how do I conclusivly prove it?

We need to get real with some of these things on BITOG

A study of the usual "Mobil haters" contributing comments in the Q&A area are of course is as inconclusive as much of their rethoric

We even have an Amsoil Marketer's input there - we could wonder why?

I buy my my own products at retail prices - and price never intrudes in the decision and never has. Cost effectiveness - YES!. I buy the very best as I see it for my operations - these include Mobil 1, Delvac, Mobil 2000,Shell Ultra, Castrol MC products and Castrol, Mobil and Shell gear lubricants. Nobody buys my comments - and never have! Performance does!!!

Last edited:
Doug, who said the Edge range is of high quality, you or engineers you spoke with?

Hi,
Buster - I have followed the progress of the EDGE range here in OZ and in Europe. I can't comment about the USA. Part of this is with Castrol's Engineers and in the Field with sources I prefer not to divulge

I was very tempted to use the Edge 0W-40 in my Porsche - I would have too except that I still have stocks of Delvac 1 0W-40 CI-4/SL

Castrol's engine oil range is now a better bet than their gear oils (except Fransmax Z ATF) - it was once the other way around. I have been involved with Castrol since the 1960s and done Consulting work with/for them over several decades

Their only initial quality-technological hiccup was in the BP takeover - RIP for most of the original Castrol lubricants. At least the ester version of 10W-60 still lives with BMW and the PAO version carries the Edge Brand!

I forgot they had an Edge brand in Australia. Yeah I'm no fan of BP lubricants here in the U.S. I'm sure it's a decent oil though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back