Honda Accord v6 20000kms Fuchs GT1 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So now we know the correct HTHS vis is 2.95 cP.

So isnt that light enough for your Caterham...CATERHAM?
wink.gif

No it's heavier than I need in the Caterham since oil temp's don't get above 95C, but it is an ester based oil with an apparently lower coefficient of friction, so for that reason alone I'd like to try it. IF WE COULD GET IT!

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
So now we know the correct HTHS vis is 2.95 cP.

So isnt that light enough for your Caterham...CATERHAM?
wink.gif

No it's heavier than I need in the Caterham since oil temp's don't get above 95C, but it is an ester based oil with an apparently lower coefficient of friction, so for that reason alone I'd like to try it. IF WE COULD GET IT!

Well just in case we get easier access to this FUCHS oil in 2010 or early 2011 then maybe you shouldn't be buying a gallon of that RLI 0W20 as part of StevieC's buy!

Originally Posted By: toyota62
I have been using GT1 0w-20 for the last 5 years.It has been on the market for more than 10 years.(May be even longer.)
TBN was 9.Still plenty of additives left in the oil.Fuel economy,power and reliability you cant beat Fuchs GT1 0w-20.
Cost me A$80 for a 4L jug.

We can order it for the same price, but that's considered an outrageous price by NA standards.
Ester based Red Line and Renewable Lub's (RLI) are half that price or less.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1987853#Post1987853

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
What amazes me most is that there's an Australian using it! Light oils are hard to find there and if you spend some times on the car forums from there you'd see a very strong cultural bias towards heavy oils. Not criticism as much as observation, so if you are one of "those" heavy oil Australians, please don't take offense. Toyota62... you are one of the few and the proud there. I did a search a while back through your large auto parts chains online and found a 20 grade oil kinda hard to find.

He's not the only Australian using it.
I've just started using after searching for 12 months to find a supplier that carries it.
As it turned out I now use Fuchs as the oil supplier in my workshop.

I use it in my 2001 AU falcon. http://www.trueblueford.com/Specs_Pages.htm

Brad_m, welcome to BITOG!

I do like the look of your Ozzy Ford's.

Here in Canada we're trying to get the Fuchs importer to to bring in some of their more interesting grades including the Titan GT-1 0W-20. Problem for the importer is that the oil costs
too much to sell in NA. At $80/4L jug for the 0W-20 (same price you pay I believe) it puts it on par with Motul 300V in Canada ( 20% cheaper in the US) but 50% more than Red Line and 150% more than bio-ester/syn based Renewable Lubricants.

Problem for the importer is that the oil costs
too much to sell in NA. At $80/4L jug for the 0W-20 (same price you pay I believe)

Yep, motor oil prices are way higher here and while $80.00 per 4L is at the higher end of the spectrum it's not really too far out of the ordinary. (for here)

Take a look for example at the "Supercheap Auto" online catalog linked below. This is where I usually buy my oil and is generally a fairly price competetive store.

See: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/engine-oils/spares-lubes/synthetic-oil.aspx?id=165

BTW. Notice how much choice that there is in xxW50 and even xxW60 weight oils here. Yet you wont find a single anything-W20 oil anywhere in that store. Actually I've never even seen a anything-W20 oil on the shelves of any store here!

Last edited:
Very interesting link.

Almost half of all new cars sold in NA are spec'd for 20wt oil now and 99% of the balance being 30wt. The only hold out's being the high end European imports and most of them like Porsche and Mercedes are spec'd for 0W-40.

Very interesting link.

And that was only their list of Synthetic oils, which are generally much lighter grades than the dino oils sold here. If you go up to the menu at the top of that page and select "Spares and Lubes" and then select "Engine Oil" -> "Mineral Oil" you'll see offerings up to 40-W-70 (no you didn't click on gear oils by mistake, that really is an engine oil)
crazy2.gif
And still not a 20 weight oil in sight.

Last edited:
Wow, Nulon 40W-70.
Nulon has a lot of nerve calling this a winter suitable oil.
Of course your winter is really summer so maybe there is some twisted logic involved.
At least Penrite drops the "W" from the designation of their 40-70 oil.

But I have a theory as to why Ozzy's love their oil thick.
The old oil mantra we use in the Nortnern hemisphere,
"As thin as possible, thick as necessary" gets turned upside down like a lot of things in the Southern hemisphere, and they interpret the mantra incorrectly as,
"As thick as possible, as thin as necessary"!

It was an interesting read about the honda accord that you have guys had. Hope that it will help us gain new knowledge in order to really get things done in all aspects. Great work here!

Originally Posted By: Izb
Why Fuchs have stopped manufacturing of GT1 5W-30 zink free premium motor oil 3 years ago?

And here I thought that the only grade of FUCHS oil (that FUCHS ever made) that was zinc free was the 0W20
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back