Rotella T6 5w40/ 5,000mi / 03 Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJC

Lots of city driving about 75%

WRX075000.jpg

Nice FP, Low SI, TBN is still good, Nice low insolubles (what oil filter and air filter?).

Now for the why a new engine @ 50,000 miles?

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nice FP, Low SI, TBN is still good, Nice low insolubles (what oil filter and air filter?).

Bill

OEM filters all around.

New engine was because I didn't know jack about oils or turbo engine maintenance and was driving a Corolla before that.

I never checked the oil levels and was enjoying the power increase from the Corolla. Little did I know the M1 5W30 went way below the dipstick levels between oil changes. I just happened to check it one time around 40K miles and there was no oil on the stick at all. Unknown how often this has happened the previous times. 10K miles later.. tick tick tick tick...BOOM!

Doesn't it say in the owners manual to check the oil level on occasion? Although I never seen a Subaru manual.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doesn't it say in the owners manual to check the oil level on occasion? Although I never seen a Subaru manual.

Yes, it says to check it at each fuel stop.

Good uoa! Looks like nickel is making some minor upticks.

I have a feeling you're not going to push your intervals much past 5k.
19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HJC
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

OEM filters all around.

New engine was because I didn't know jack about oils or turbo engine maintenance and was driving a Corolla before that.

I never checked the oil levels and was enjoying the power increase from the Corolla. Little did I know the M1 5W30 went way below the dipstick levels between oil changes. I just happened to check it one time around 40K miles and there was no oil on the stick at all. Unknown how often this has happened the previous times. 10K miles later.. tick tick tick tick...BOOM!

Apparently he is saying the M1 5W30 was volatile between changes.

Yes, it does say to check the oil but being young and dumb and inexperienced with turbos I just neglected it. Maybe I was use to the trouble free operation of the Corolla.

I'm not blaming Mobil 1, just myself. But I'll learn from my experiences.

Besides, could have been the engine was an oil burner, or that Mobil 1 5w30 was too thin... it came down to me checking the oil. I think i tried M1 10w30 too and it still was burning oil.

Dosen't burn anything measurable with the new engine. Although I have matured and calmed a bit and not redlining it on every highway run. hehe.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

I have a feeling you're not going to push your intervals much past 5k.
19.gif

-Dennis

Yeah, 5K is the limit for me. Also easier to remember every 5K intervals.

Takes guts to admit you completely neglected checking oil on a forum like this. Some here check every day!

Glad to see someone learned and 'came into the light'....LOL!

Results are good - Subie's seem to run really well on T6.

Add me to the Mobil 1 5W 30 spun bearing failure chumps (2002 2.0L DOHC turbo). Who knew? Well, apart from you guys. Appears that buying that oil and driving like a dufus are going to set me back about $6k or sell off the car as a rolling chassis due to the engine repair cost. If I have it rebuilt I'll query the oil forums in advance. I had no idea this was such a common problem though I'm guessing that most folks are like me and use what the book says to use and we figure M1 5 30 is good stuff. Like I didn't have enough to worry about before, now it's Zn content in the oil. I'll never sleep well again...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xstock
Add me to the Mobil 1 5W 30 spun bearing failure chumps (2002 2.0L DOHC turbo).

That sucks. How did the chain of events go down? Was the oil hot when it happened?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: xstock
Add me to the Mobil 1 5W 30 spun bearing failure chumps (2002 2.0L DOHC turbo).

That sucks. How did the chain of events go down? Was the oil hot when it happened?

And when was the last time the oil was checked?
What fuel were you using?
Any mods?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: HJC
Little did I know the M1 5W30 went way below the dipstick levels between oil changes.

Mobil 1 5w-30 to the rescue.
smirk2.gif

Once the engine is run low, the damage basically amounts to a permanent oil consumption condition. imo, M1 5w-30 is notorious for this, coming form some Honda forums.

"I don't maintain my vehicle by checking the oil level on a regular basis"

This is typical of most drivers. Ask a variety of mechanics, indie, small shop or dealer.

This is the second time I've seen Blackstone report super high Zinc level for T6. In the other thread we thought it was a mistake, but now we see it again. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back