Best 5w30 Synthetic Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I am currently a GC user. But, it seems to be a little thick for my Toyota. So, what have been some good oils, or lets say top "3" 5w30 Synthetic oils? Why are they better? Not just, "My dad used them, so I use them...or because I have always used them, so you should too". I am looking for experiences, maybe UOA history...etc...

Thanks all.

Currently leaning toward Pennzoil Platinum, and I will never use Supertech or any off name brand oils.

Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 EP 5w30 are my two favorite. I've had great UOA with the regular Mobil 1 in the 10w30, the 5w30 isn't that much different mostly viscosity...

Even the worst SM-rated synthetic will take your vehicle beyond 300K with regular maintanance.

The actual best one is found after requesting UOAs thru places like Blackstone. The one you least expect is sometimes the one that does the job-best inside your engine.

I would give the Pennzoil platinum a try since you're already leaning towards it anyways and it seems to be offered for a great price a lot lately.

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:
Okay, I am currently a GC user. But, it seems to be a little thick for my Toyota. So, what have been some good oils, or lets say top "3" 5w30 Synthetic oils? Why are they better? Not just, "My dad used them, so I use them...or because I have always used them, so you should too". I am looking for experiences, maybe UOA history...etc...

Thanks all.
I like Amsoil Series 3000 in my Tacoma, like you said its on the thick side but my gas milage hasent suffered since using it.
Currently leaning toward Pennzoil Platinum, and I will never use Supertech or any off name brand oils.

For a toyota, Id be runnning M1 - no need to look further.

As for the best 5w-30 oil possible??? Probably Amsoil HDD 5w-30.

JMH

I thought about trying to Mobil 1, but I have heard that it is a little noisy, plus, for 5k OCI's, it is a little more expensive than PP or Syntec.

For just a 5K OCI, any chance you would consider a good blend? For example, the UOA section (what you asked for) is full of good results using Motorcraft. ( I just put my Nomex fire suit on. Just please keep responses based on proof, not opinion ).

I use M1 in 7 of our 9 cars and can notice no noise issues in any of them, ranging frm diesels to econo cars to twin turbo performance cars... including a toyota. YMMV

For 5000 mile OCIs, Id likely be running either havoline with LC (due to excellent results) motorcraft with LC because it is a blend without the price) or an actual blend with LC to save money.. or else Id be thinking about schaeffers oil, which I believe is a blend, but seems to be superior in every way.

My father ran 7500 mile dino OCIs on his 94 previa until 160k, when we swapped to M1 and havenet looked back, with OCIs over 10k... really if I bought a toyota, M1 would be a no brainer for me because of the synergy with toyota metalurgy that UOA has shown time and time again.

JMH

Toyota's seem to really like M1 5w-30 according to the UOA's I've seen here.

I'd stick with that.

Pennzoil Platinum is said to be a very good value for money as well if you have an aversion to M1.

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1
Red Line

Although i'm personally going through a PP fix right now with the low, low prices! Probably back to Mobil 1 5W-30 whenever I run out of PP!

You're looking for best, but you're also looking for inexpensive. The two ideas are mutually exclusive....

The regular Mobil 1, 5w-30 at Walmart is probably your best bet in a < $5.50/qt oil.

TS

Most folks here are from the US. When you guys talk about OCIs, are you talking in "miles" or "kilometers"?

I'm assuming "kilometers" since many of you refer to a 5K OCI as "regular", which would be 3K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by insomniac:
Most folks here are from the US. When you guys talk about OCIs, are you talking in "miles" or "kilometers"?

I'm assuming "kilometers" since many of you refer to a 5K OCI as "regular", which would be 3K miles.

5k = 5,000 miles.

I've had outstanding UOA's using Amsoil 5W30 in my 05 Subaru. The car also exceeds the rated highway fuel mileage by 2+ MPG.

I've since been going up to 7K miles until the warranty is finished, then I'll probably consider 10-15K OCI's.

UOA

Get the best deal you can on M1, PP or any of the better syns. Any of those are overkill for a 5K OCI. It would be impossible to say which is 'best' for your vehicle without used oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back