2006 AT Acura TL @ 75k Miles - Switch To Synth Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Would it be ok if I switch to synthetic oil from using conventional (just any brand) oil at my mileage (75k)? I have read the statement below and am concerned:

"From what I have been told, switching from DINO to synthetic at high miles isn't good for the seals as DINO oil has this "property" that causes the seals to swell and allow for a good seal. Over time the seals absorb it and get used to it, but when you go to synthetic they are no longer swollen and thus allow oil to be burned."

I know it's a "what I have been told" statement, but if this is indeed accurate, then it would be best to stick with conventional oil, right? I know everyone here is extremely knowledgable and I trust that you can point me in the right path.

Also, do you have any oil suggestions that would be good for my mileage and the fact that it has been using "any brand" conventional oil? I would really like to start taking care of my TL. Btw, this is my daily driver car in [approx] 50/50 city/highway.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Last edited:
I began using synthetic (Maxlife 5W-30) at 153K miles in my 1999 TL (largely because that is what I had on hand, in my stash). No problems so far.

If you are concerned about leakage use a high-mileage synth oil which has extra seal conditioners.

75K isn't "high mileage". Not sure what the concern is. Seals should be good until at least 300K, and actually IMHO, synthetic oils are easier on seals over time than petroleum motor oil.

Nothing bad would happen, any reason why you want to switch? Going to push out your OCI's?

Thank you! I wasn't really sure what mileage is considered to be "high mileage"...

The reason I want to switch to synthetic is to protect the engine better, feel more comfortable when the car's oil change indicator reaches around 5-10%, and protect those seals mentioned above (which I didn't even know about...).

Do you happen to have any suggestions on which synthetic oil would be best for my car with about 80/20 highway/city driving (will be changing from my previous post of 50/50 because I will be moving)?

Thank you!

Any synthetic. Honda's typically love the Motorcraft Blend and Pennzoil Platinum oils. Don't go for Ultra as its high priced at the moment and overkill for your application(unless money is no object).

Any of the synthetics will do, I'd read up on the Used Oil Analysis section and see what similar cars to yours are using and how they were performing with different oils.

Either way, in PA 50/50 is still 80/20 because PA has some open roads for sure unless you lived in a city like Philly/Pittsburgh. Love the countryside on 78 up to Steelton.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Just stick with what you have been using.

I agree with you 100%, but figured I wouldn't argue the point here as this is the OP's post. He wanted a recommendation so I caved and gave what was wanted.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Just stick with what you have been using.

I agree with you 100%, but figured I wouldn't argue the point here as this is the OP's post. He wanted a recommendation so I caved and gave what was wanted.

Really? Well my car hasn't been using any particular oil (whatever mechanics at gas stations/Pepboys uses) so I thought I should start treating it (e.g. doing my own oil changes and such) better to make it last. My perception (misperception, most likely) is that synthetic oil is much better than conventional oil and since I use the in-dash display to track when I should do oil changes (roughly 7.5k miles), synthetic would be best. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. I really want to learn from the professionals so I can apply this knowledge to future cars.

Also, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in the reports in the Used Oil Analysis section...

my grand prix handled the switch amazingly at 100,000 miles

and by "amazingly" i mean its quieter, and it no longer loses a quart every 3000 miles\

and ill just throw in the fact that i actually save money now since the synthetic goes more then twice as long as the conventional, but does not cost twice as much

Last edited:
Ooo... Quieter, lasts twice as long than conventional, and cheaper per year! Sounds good to me! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back